Tarot programs using work without permission?

Babalon Jones

Was just browsing around and learned that there is a tarot program for download out there on the web, that is using both my decks, unbeknownst to me! But, they have 920 decks to choose from so I bet I am not the only one they are doing this to. I doubt they got permission for any of them, and many are by major publishers so one would think the big guns would mind. If they knew. Maybe they don't, or don't care?

And, for the card examples and write ups they show to entice people to download the deck, they just lifted Solandia's Aeclectic Tarot description text and the associated card images in the Tarot Decks section!

Sheesh. Part of me is like, oh well, at least it shows the work to more people and knows this goes on all the time and I don't even know. But it also feels wrong not to mention illegal that they can profit off the copyrighted work of others without even asking. Their program is not inexpensive either.

It lists their contact info as based in Germany. Who knows if that is real though.

Just a weird feeling to find your stuff like that by accident.

Chimera Dust

Yikes, that's terrible. I agree that the positive side of that is that it might make more people notice your deck, but I'm not even sure if that's true. People might be content with the digital version and not consider buying the real copy, especially if they don't know much about that app. They could think, for example, that they're supporting your work anyway without knowing that the deck is being used without your permission. (This isn't like downloading music, for example, because in that situation most people know that those files were illegally downloaded and can then decide to buy the originals to support an artist whose work they like.) Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

More than that, though, it sounds really disrespectful to just lift the work of others like that without asking for permission. I'm sure that some artists would allow a digital version of their decks to be distributed through apps if they were asked about it. No matter what the final answer would be, it sounds like basic etiquette to ask for permission first.

Can you talk to a lawyer about this? Maybe even get in touch with forum users who are connected with the big publishers in question? If the address is real, the makers of that app can try to pretend that it's not, but it'll be harder for them to ignore a lawsuit threat. Is the program being distributed through their own site or are they selling it through Google Play or something? If they're selling it through another company, you can at least notify the latter. The bigger app stores have legit addresses you can use to get in touch with them.

GlitterNova

Are they charging money for this program? If so, there's no doubt what they're doing is illegal. And I'm 99% sure they know what they're doing is illegal as well. Perhaps it might be beneficial to get a joint letter from Solandia and some of the stolen deck creators here together threatening legal action (which would be an open-and-shut case) if they don't remove this program from the public. Additionally, if there is a website for this program, one could contact the website's hosting company and pretty easily get the website taken down. Most domain companies don't want to be associated with illegal goings on that might be happening with websites they're hosting.

Unfortunately I have experienced this sort of thing before. I used to make a lot of downloadable content for a certain computer game, and it was a common occurrence to find your content on another person's site (oftentimes listed under another person's name!). Since we're talking about a computer game that many children played, many times this stealing was attributed to kids just not understanding content laws. If it was adults doing the stealing, though, they almost ALWAYS knew what they were doing was wrong and just didn't think they'd be caught (or didn't think what they were doing was 'serious'). If you showed these adults that you weren't playing around, though, it usually wasn't an issue getting your content removed.

Babalon Jones

Yeah they charge a lot! Their programs range from $37 to $999 depending on what editions you choose. So pretty expensive!

I am guessing that as they are overseas making them stop isn't likely, even through the web host, but I don't know. I mean they even have US Games and LS decks on there and i would think that if anyone has the means to do anything they could.

it isn't an app, looks like a program for PC you can buy and download from their website.

Just seems rather rude of them, and surprising even though I guess it shouldn't be!

Babalon Jones

Interesting article gregory! I would bet good money that anyone who downloads their software gets more than they bargained for, as in Trojans. Their site even says some antivirus software will not allow download if it, and I was like, yeah of course it probably is full of nasties.

gregory

Yeah they charge a lot! Their programs range from $37 to $999 depending on what editions you choose. So pretty expensive!

I am guessing that as they are overseas making them stop isn't likely, even through the web host, but I don't know. I mean they even have US Games and LS decks on there and i would think that if anyone has the means to do anything they could.

it isn't an app, looks like a program for PC you can buy and download from their website.

Just seems rather rude of them, and surprising even though I guess it shouldn't be!
It is indeed a programme; someone here did download it and all sorts of bad stuff happened. I think they are more interested in your money than tarot. You are FAR from alone though - nick over to Adam's forum... Rude isn't an issue for them - they just steal and then charge others for it. It is at least better (from your point of view) than printing pirate copies, I guess :(

There's even a thread here

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1877458

Babalon Jones

Ugh yep sounds like a phishing scam, and one that has been going on for many years! I guess lots of us AT and tarot community creators have found our work there. Yuck, to the idea of peoples art being used as bait for a malware scam artist!

Not going to lose any sleep over it. I put my work online so people can see it and decide if they like the cards before buying them, and know once you are out in the world all sorts of things can happen and you cannot control them even if you try. luckily good things happen too though!

GlitterNova

I still think it would be a good idea to alert Solandia about this. You may not ultimately want to take steps to get this removed from the web, but she might.

Babalon Jones

My guess is she probably knows, as it looks like there are threads here going back many years and with many self published as well as of the most popular mainstream decks represented there.