FOR YOU, PERSONALLY, What Makes Lenormand...Lenormand?

Shade

For me, it needs to have those 36 cards (extras are fine).

I have preferences (simpler images, card insets, not too many humans) but even something that goes against them I could still see as a Lenormand if it has that essential structure. One that springs to mind is the Burning Serpent Oracle which is absolutely rooted in Lenormand tradition but overlaid with additional layers of spiritual symbolism.

DownUnderNZer

It has been discussed in a number of threads already in regards to what deck, size, pros, and cons etc.

Same answer I will probably always give:

"BLUE OWL" with the card insets. Checks all the boxes for me from size to images. No verses or poems. My long time companion and faithful accomplice.

But it is the synchronised readings that make it more or less the "Lenormand" for me.

DND :)

I meant what makes a deck Lenormand for readers.

When you see a deck, what makes it Lenormand for you? I would really enjoy reading when you hear Lenormand regarding a certain deck, what you think it SHOULD have to be a Lenormand deck vs tarot or any other oracle.

We all have our own tastes re artwork, size of cards etc, but there have been decks I thought were beautiful, but I didn't easily see the standard 36 images.

greatdane

Very True, DownUnderNZer

We do discuss many topics often in many threads.

To me, there is a difference between PREFERENCES in a Lenormand and what we think of AS being a Lenormand deck.

There are many decks that may not fall under decks I wish to use, but they have the components of what I consider Lenormand (the 36 traditional images, even if there may be extra cards beyond that).

I can certainly see where the Blue Owl falls under the traditional Lenormand. It seems many in AT have it as a fav or certainly among their favs.

reall

For me, it needs to have those 36 cards (extras are fine).

I have preferences (simpler images, card insets, not too many humans) but even something that goes against them I could still see as a Lenormand if it has that essential structure. One that springs to mind is the Burning Serpent Oracle which is absolutely rooted in Lenormand tradition but overlaid with additional layers of spiritual symbolism.

oh! we totally agree on this!:) Burning Serpent n Gilded Lenormand is perfect example that totally works for me!:)) for me it's every deck that have 36cards with meaning same as traditional Lenormand?:) regardless of art style insert or extra cards, etc, same way I consider Tarot every 78card deck that have Tarot deck structure regardless of card names or extra cards?:))

but I agree there is big difference between Lenormand in classical sense (those who prefer historical reproductions?:) and *modern artistic Lenormand deck with more flexible interpretation/representation that is closer to oracle?:) my Chakra Lenormand deck is good example!^^ as I mostly use it as Oracle!^^ lolz :))

btw great topic GD!^^ :))

Barleywine

I'm going to have to add that Blue Owl to my collection, but it will probably have to be the Urania (German) version rather than the AGM English-language one since Amazon "new" prices for the latter run from $63 to $2,000. It does meet all of my criteria, and I don't need the LWB anyway.

decan

For me what makes Lenormand...Lenormand, it's an elegant traditional artwork (bourgeoisie-like), nothing modern or really creative even if I appreciate very much when an old deck is beautifully restored with some useful additional cards.

Well, I'm not a purist, but for a Lenormand deck I appreciate something very classical.
I tried the Burning Serpent Oracle, and it is a beautiful Lenormand-Oracle, but I recognize that prefer something else.

peacewing

I'm going to have to add that Blue Owl to my collection, but it will probably have to be the Urania (German) version rather than the AGM English-language one since Amazon "new" prices for the latter run from $63 to $2,000. It does meet all of my criteria, and I don't need the LWB anyway.

I have the White Owl from Urania and you aren't missing much if they are similar books! It's a small 15 pg book that takes a page to introduce the cards, and then instructs you to lay the cards out into a GT format. It then gives brief descriptions of each card, then tells you to pay attention to where the man and woman are, and that depending on the cards position and distance, depends on the "destiny".

I've been going through my cards and shopping for a new deck...

The Fairy Tale Fortune Cards are a themed novelty deck that really catches my eye but the only thing that keeps them from being "all-purpose" in my mind is the writing on them. Otherwise, they are just absolutely fantastic. The art is so catching and friendly.

The Wanderwust Lenormand is my next present to myself, and I think it's going to be my most favorite deck. It's a remixed Wust with monochrome-ish background bits and popped out color, and it really makes the symbols stand out. I really like a deck where you can quickly look over everything laid out and have a clear idea of what everything is immediately. It's clean, neat, and very, very pretty.

...it's all about those clear symbols. =D

conurelover

36 cards, clear images, and I like to see the corresponding playing card on the card. I don't care if the playing card insert on the card is large or small. I feel like it has to be there.

I am not into alternate cards. A cross should be a cross. A garden should visibly look like a park or garden. That anchor card better be a huge anchor, and no ship in the background confusing me as to the card I pulled. A rider should always be someone on a horse, etc.

Bottom line, if I have to pull out the lwb to tell me which Lenormand card I just pulled out, it was a waste of my money.