How to manage decks with chipped/peeling corners

CharlotteK

That looks great. Is that with sharpie or inking? If it's with a sharpie did you use a thick one or just a regular tipped one? I may do that to mine, it's very tempting!
Regular Black Sharpie. I have read Sharpie ink fades but if that happens I will just go over it again :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

CharlotteK

I own about 170 decks at present, and probably three-quarters of them are Very Well Used Indeed, and I'm always baffled when perople talk about chipped or peeling corners. It's just never happened to any of my decks from any publisher on any cardstock. The worst I've seen is that over decades of heavy use, the formerly sharp edges become slightly softened - which is a Good Thing as it stoped me getting papercuts. And card-papercuts are far more painful than computer-paper-papercuts, and take longer to heal.

<curiously> Can anybody show me a photo of this phenomenon?
Sadly I didn't take photos of the 'before' but photos up the thread are similar to how mine was. Out of the box the top corners of several cards looked to be peeling and there was some chipping. After a week of light use the deck looked tatty and more of the corners were delaminating. This is on a brand new deck. I was so disappointed and when I mentioned it in DOTW, turns out I'm not the only one who has had a problem with this third edition. After reading people's account to of spending months trying to get a replacement only for it to be the same, I decided to Sharpie it all. Surely a contender for the worst cardstock of all time?

nisaba

<goes back and looks at all the photos>

Do people who have this problem with their decks riffle-shuffle, forcing the corners against each other? I shuffle exclusively hand-over-hand, and none of my decks ever show this kind of damage, no matter how dreadful and awful the cardstock.

CharlotteK

<goes back and looks at all the photos>

Do people who have this problem with their decks riffle-shuffle, forcing the corners against each other? I shuffle exclusively hand-over-hand, and none of my decks ever show this kind of damage, no matter how dreadful and awful the cardstock.
I never riffle shuffle and a few of my ToT cards were this bad fresh out of the box before shuffling at all. None of my other decks have ever looked like this. My Anna K mass market has a few chips to the borders but it's had a lot of use and is still no where near as worn looking as the brand new ToT. No idea what's gone wrong with the production but it's not normal.

nisaba

No, it really isn't.

DaughterOfDanu

I own about 170 decks at present, and probably three-quarters of them are Very Well Used Indeed, and I'm always baffled when perople talk about chipped or peeling corners. It's just never happened to any of my decks from any publisher on any cardstock. The worst I've seen is that over decades of heavy use, the formerly sharp edges become slightly softened - which is a Good Thing as it stoped me getting papercuts. And card-papercuts are far more painful than computer-paper-papercuts, and take longer to heal.

<curiously> Can anybody show me a photo of this phenomenon?

I own quite a few decks as well and riffle shuffle though I don't jam my cards together roughly. I've had a copy of the Gilded Tarot (Llewellyn) for the past decade and it is one of my oldest and most well used decks and while there's signs of wear, even on the borders and corners, it is nowhere near the wear I found on the ToT. The photo was about 3 days after I got it and I'm not one to sit there shuffling decks for long periods of time when I first get a deck as some do so the photo is pretty much how it looked when I unboxed it. Which is why I posted the thread since it was extremely abnormal and not something I could overlook without attempting to fix it. Even my Gilded's signs of wear are easier on the eyes than my ToT copy.

I wound up getting a replacement that also showed signs of the peeling corners and at that point gave up knowing that worst case scenario I have a backup.