Steampunk Tarot

shadowdancer

And now back on topic (sorry for the very brief diversion in above post - it was still linked to the deck though).

Reply from Llewellyn - replacement cards being sent. I had attached a photo so they could see the issue for themselves.

In the meantime I have done something which I believe has led to an improvement (at least for me).

I was scratching my head this morning as to why I didn't really get enthused about the deck. The artwork was nice, but was not jumping out at me. It appeared muted. I didn't like the finish, as I was immediately rubbing my hands down my clothing to make sure fingers were grease or oil free. It really would show on that dark edge and background if they were less than dry, and would stain more over time. Seriously - I would not want to let someone shuffle them if they had eaten with their hands recently. One card had already become chipped at the side from just flicking through the deck, and the white stood out a mile.

So.....

This morning, out came the laminator. Well, I have to say - I feel heaps happier. The colours absolutely ROCK and really pop out now. No worries about if the fingers are totally dry or not, and no worries about the borders scuffing or marking.
It now feels like a really solid deck in so many ways. Yes it is slightly larger in depth due to the laminate, but not excessively so. It has a nice chunky feel, and the gloss finish really works with the imagery. I don't riffle shuffle so if the cards are a whisker out as a result of my cutting around the edge, it really does not matter. I have cut umpteen laminated decks in the past and they look as good as I could get them.

Now I feel I can get to know it. And hopefully enjoy it. :D :D

Oh, as for the courts, I sort of get what Le Fanu was referring to. They just don't feel dynamic, and don't really scream at me as to having personality or movement, but then again, virtually all decks leave me feeling this way. Having said that, I have only ONE deck where I feel the courts are actually doing something in line with their suit and ranking. I can see they are challenging to really capture well.

Will pop back with thoughts in a few days or so when I have had a proper play with them.

Miss Divine

I would love to see a few images of them being laminated.:D
I have a laminator but am too chicken to do it. I am afraid I will mess it up (like ending up with bubbles). But I know what ya mean about the cardstock.....I already realize I will need a back-up if I don't have the balls to laminate them like you did. I'm lucky my hands are kinda dry, never oily or sweaty so I won't leave stains or whatever on mine. But I don't want others to shuffle them though, they seem so sensitive to damage etc. And yet... I love them!!!

Le Fanu

UPDATE: deck arrived.

Same damage to the last three of the pentacles suit. They were stuck together. I have written directly to Llewellyn as in fairness to BookDepository, it was not their fault.
Did I also post here that I had exactly the same problem? Can't remember...

metatron3

I think I spot a mistake in the book on the 8 of Pentacles but since english is not my mother-tongue I might be wrong.
In the last sentences it says something like "that's what the Seven of Pentacles is about." is it a mistake ? shouldn't it be "Eight of Pentacles is about" ?

shadowdancer

Here is a photo of the deck as laminated.
Hard to not get sun glare or reflection(I had to turn the flash off, and take it out of direct light), but the deck in the hand shows the new thickness. Trust me - the deck is much more vibrant than is shown in the photo but was the best I could do.

Davina

Attachments

• IMG_8498.jpg
    IMG_8498.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 152

silverwings94

UPDATE:

Just got a email form Amazon and my deck has shipped!!! Estimated day of arrival is this Saturday!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I opend the email, I thought that they were going to say that its out of stock and will ship when more come in..But NO its on its way. I will have to go to the P.O. early Saturday cause my daughter and I are going to a Metaphysical shop for a workshop on Oils and how they ar emade and its a free worshop at that. Plus the guy will have oils there to purchase. I can't wait.

iAmRiotEyes

Here is a photo of the deck as laminated.
Hard to not get sun glare or reflection(I had to turn the flash off, and take it out of direct light), but the deck in the hand shows the new thickness. Trust me - the deck is much more vibrant than is shown in the photo but was the best I could do.

Davina

Do you think Kinko's will laminate the deck for me? The deck looks really good that way and I don't want my cards to get chipped as fast as they do.

shadowdancer

Do you think Kinko's will laminate the deck for me? The deck looks really good that way and I don't want my cards to get chipped as fast as they do.

I really don't know, as I am in New Zealandand haven't heard of Kinko's. :(

Darkness

Just ordered these from Borders, hoping that the last few in the Pentascles are not damaged it seems as though this is happening a fair bit. Gonna take ages to get to Perth in Australia (sigh!)