Astrology and Family Relationships

purplefishy

I thought I'd start this thread, because I think astrology can have an influence over family relationships. Recently I figured out the charts for my parents and one of my two brothers (i couldn't find the other's birth certificate so do not have a birth time or place). It turns out that my family is very Aries-centric! My mom and my eldest brother both have Aries suns and my mom, other brother, and dad all have their moon in Aries. Now, for me, being all water pretty much, this can be more than frustrating. I think that one of my only encounters with Aries in my chart is that Aries is in Venus- and fire signs have a tendency to intimidate me somewhat, because I just don't understand them (in general). As you can probably tell, this has caused more than enough tension between me and my mom, she being a double Aries (sun and moon!). What have your experiences been like, astrologically speaking? Does anyone else have any similar (or totally different) observations? I know that sun moon and asc are only part of a chart, but I have limited my observations to these particular things since I don't know enough about the other planets to comment.

Minderwiz

There's quite a bit of research done into repeating patterns in family natal charts. Indeed there was a fascinating article on the subject in the April/May 2002 edition of The Mountain Astrologer, by Liza K Hall. Her point is that Astrological signatures are passed on in the same way that hair or eye colour is passed on.

It may well be that your own Water based chart is linked to previous generations of your family.

The links are not just by sign but by House position as well.

In my own family, myself, my wife and my daughter all have Saturn in the twelfth House (though in different signs).

I am a Libra Sun, my father was a Libra Sun, many of my wife's family are Capricorn Suns. I haven't an exact time for my father's birth but the time I'm attracted to has a Taurus Ascendant (fits him physically) - and it has Saturn in the twelfth. Moreover I have a Taurus MC and my daughter is Sun sign Taurus.

So there does seem to be something in it :)

M-Press

hi there!

I would totally agree with Minderwiz and the article!

for some years now, since I started getting deeper into "the stars", I saw that astrology totally works just like genetics, within a family, and I must say that this is a topic of great interest for me!

A few "facts":
My Dad's moon, my moon, my cousin's moon, my brother's Sun, my aunt's sun, and my great aunt's sun, all IN Virgo.

My mercury, my Dad's, my grandma's, and my mum's moon, in Sag.

My rising, my brother's rising and moon, my granma's and aunt's moon, in Taurus.

Both my half brothers' rising, and their mum's sun, in Pisces.

90% of the family's venus, is in Scorpio...

you can only imagine, what a peaceful family we are!!!!

Astrology has been a great vehicle for me to understand my relationships with my family...and deal with them...
When my mum needs attention, i blame her Leo rising, and when nearly all conversations with my dad become arguments, i blame our Sag Mercuries...
In a way it really helps...

I also see how some similarities become a place to identify with one another, and where they create a conflict. just like in regular compatiability charts. It has also helped me to "give up" in relations that always seem to break down (even though we are a family). astrology has tought me what to expect, and when to NOT expect...

One funny thing I discovered, is the similarities between my dad-and my mum's family... Talking about getting married to "the familiar"!

I was not aware about the similarities in terms of houses, like Minderwiz mentioned, but now that i'm aware of it , I see it too.
A few in my family have many things in the 12th... my bro and I have the same stuff in the 5th. It shows how family related people, are "similar".

There is a book by Erin Sullivan, "The Astrology of Family dynamics", which goes into this...
I don't have the book, it looked a bit heavy to me when I first saw it a couple of years ago, but, well, it's still on my list-only I can not reccomend it, as I have not read it...

Moongold

This is fascinating stuff, hinted at already in a psychological profile I had done by Liz Greene.

My father was a Capricorn Sun with a Capricorn Ascendant. He was also a 12th House Sun He also had Mercury in the 12th House. His Venus was in the 1st House and his Leo Moon was in the 8th House.

I am a Sagittarian with Capricorn Ascendant and 12th House Sun, Mercury and Jupiter. Like Dad, I have Venus in the 1st House. Unfortunately I have Saturn and Pluto in the 8th House. I have a Pisces Moon as well

My Mother was a Pisces Sun in the 3rd House and a Libran Moon in the 8th House.

My older sister is a Scorpio Sun in the 12th House. She also has Venus in the 12th House.

I don't as yet know all the birth times of my other kin but I'm asure there would be some interesting placements.

lunalafey

I don't have too much family astro info-
but
I'm a cap sun with saturn in aries.
my first born son has an aries sun with saturn in cap.
his father is also a capi sun.
My last 4 serious relationships where with capi's
my current s/o is a cap sun with virgo rising
same as me, but our moons are total opposite, I'm a capi moon and he's a cancer.
Now you got me wanting to look deeper.....

Minderwiz

One of the big practical problems is getting the relevant information for previous generations. Both my parents are passed over and although I have dates and places of birth I don't have times.

This becomes worse still for grandparents and great grandparents, etc. because even dates of birth may not be available without searching through public records.

Still it is an extremely fascinating area, not least because of the similarity between partners' charts - where no blood relation is involved. This might suggest two forces at work - genetics and attraction based on strong similarities.

miss_apples

I have a feeling that there is a taurean/leo lesson thats supposed to be learned in my family because my mom is a taurus, Im a leo, and then my son is a taurus and Im pretty sure that he will have a leo child too. Now I have found from my experiences that Leos and Tauruses just dont mix well. plus...both my mom and my son have earth moons too...my mom is taurus sun/ virgo moon and my son is taurus sun/ capricorn moon...which makes my relationships with them even more frustrating. I have no earth signs in my chart that I know of, I am a leo sun/scorpio moon and my daughter is a scorpio sun/ leo moon which means we get along really well. But I just cant seem to find a good balance between myself and my mom and sun,...I love them but they can driveme nuts sometimes.

I also have a hard time getting along with Leo males. my brother in law is a Leo with a cancer moon and I hate to say this but me and him despise eachother. I havent gotten along well with other leo males in my life either...why are leo men so egotistical? No offense to any leo men that are reading this....lol

Minderwiz

As a Leo Ascendant (and Leo Saturn, Pluto and Mars) I don't think it is so much being egotistical - more an enjoyment of showing off - being theatrical and being the centre of attention.

The difference is that Leo's care and have great generosity to others but they are secretly insecure :)

Having their manes stroked and nice things said to them or being acknowledged even by smiles or a kind word enables them to make the most of that generosity and honesty that helps others.

As I also have a fairly prominent Saturn, I also need to point out that Sun or Moon sign alone does not make up character and that Leos may well be egotistical for entirely non-Leo reasons.

M-Press

hm...
I was thinking about this thread all day today...Some of my thoughts:

In general, we seem to get involved/be in contact with people who share some of our traits (my sun falls on your moon and so on...). This seems to be the basis of the common ground needed to start and maintain a communication. If beyond that there is compatiability, then things go well, if not then things are on the dificult side...
So, such go on between family members as well...
Now, my question is, IS THERE A PURPOSE/LESSON to be undertaken "more seriously" since these people are in our family, or people that are NOT in the family are equaly a "trip"?
(sorry, it's late, my "composition" skills are already asleep!)

Now, my little "lesson" for the day :)
In the past month, I live at my mum's , due to work, till the end of the year...(we usually live in different countries).
As I mentioned in an earlier post, my mum has a Leo rising, which I find hard to tolerate--I feel she needs attention, as she's my child... (BTW, usually I CAN take Leo rising and Leo moon well, but Leo Sun...oooo!!!!)
SO, In the evenings, I come home late, and find some "escape" in AT, and then mum knows "I'm unavailable...".

And what I just found out???
that Minderwiz's (a colleague in the escape?) planets in signs, INCLUDING Asc, are like Mama's!!!!
i had suspected this, in previous posts, but never pinned it down!
It seems that Minderwiz and my mum, are born a week apart, same year, so...

I really laugh now...
Of course I'm SURE they are VERY different, and i experience them in such different ways...
but, I'm wondering what my lesson here is?
maybe through Minderwiz I will learn to be more tolerant of mum?

Is that family astrology, synchronisity, or what?????

OK, at least i stretched my smiling muscles tonight!
:)

Minderwiz

Where's your Mum's Sun? As I think I've said elsewhere, mine is 29 degrees 45 minutes Libra and actually qualifies as cuspal with Scorpio (in which lie Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Chiron and, the South Node - so I have a Leo / Scorpio tension, supervised by my Moon in Aquarius