New Planet!

Minderwiz

Oops - my post above seems to have come through twice!! perhaps Isthmus or Paradoxx can delete it.

On Pluto and Chiron, my reference was to ASTRONOMERS, not Astrologers. However, not all Astrologers recognise the three outer planets as being of Astrological significance - virtually all Vedic Astrologers don't use them and a small but significant and growing minority of Traditional Western Astrologers don't use them.

My point on the number of 'planets' or other bodies that are used is actually a rephrase of Stephen Arroyo's view - if you increase the number of 'significant' bodies then you exponentially increase the number of possible contacts between them. Arroyo reckons that to treat all these contacts as significant is a major danger because we could well end up treating the third Kuiper belt object from the left as being as important as, say, Venus or Mars.

M-Press

You guys rock!
I was just about to post about what i saw in Cnn, but there is a thread already! It's amazing how findings as such can alter our views about what is, what isn't, and what difference does it make to us...
Oh, I would love to give it a name.... what could it be called?????
:)

bladeraven

M-Press said:
You guys rock!
I was just about to post about what i saw in Cnn, but there is a thread already! It's amazing how findings as such can alter our views about what is, what isn't, and what difference does it make to us...

Planet Tarot??

M-Press

bladeraven said:
Planet Tarot??

he..he... we wish!
I bet they will choose a mythological figure... Who is left....hm...
I wonder what are the attributs of it... it seems quite grey and has some spots, a texture...
i'm fraid to come up with something and then get dissapointed that tehy chose something totally non-fiting!
I wonder if there is naming committee... Who names the planets????
I want to apply for the job!!!!!
;)

The Dreamer

Minderwitz said:
Oops - my post above seems to have come through twice!! perhaps Isthmus or Paradoxx can delete it.

On Pluto and Chiron, my reference was to ASTRONOMERS, not Astrologers. However, not all Astrologers recognise the three outer planets as being of Astrological significance - virtually all Vedic Astrologers don't use them and a small but significant and growing minority of Traditional Western Astrologers don't use them.

My point on the number of 'planets' or other bodies that are used is actually a rephrase of Stephen Arroyo's view - if you increase the number of 'significant' bodies then you exponentially increase the number of possible contacts between them. Arroyo reckons that to treat all these contacts as significant is a major danger because we could well end up treating the third Kuiper belt object from the left as being as important as, say, Venus or Mars.
LOL. I had thought that you had intentionally reposted your first reply in response to my last post, as a way to say that my points were irrelevant.

Yes, I understood your point about it being astronomers who were making the distinction between planets and asteroids. My point was to call into question whether that distinction mattered astrologically.

I was not aware that any western astrologers didn't use the outer planets. Vedic astrology I've never looked into.

It really does become mind boggling to open astrology to the idea of using massive amounts of named asteroids, taking into account their contacts.

I myself am no astrological professional, and doubt I ever will devote the time necessary to become one. But I do know that I am very glad that some who devote time to astrological research have chosen to study Chiron; that they found it worthy of study rather than something to be kept out of astrology- because from what I have gleaned of those studies, I have gained much insight into myself. I have not found it necessary or fruitul yet to pay much attention to other asteroids, though I have put a lot of them into my natal chart out of curiosity. Most seem to hold the meaning they are claimed to hold, but don't really matter that much to me. (My natal chiron is in the first house- that may be part of why I find it so significant- also, Astrodienst put Chiron in its formerly free daily horoscopes, so I could easily pay attention to what it was doing daily and see how that held up with my experience. [But I rarely pay attention to my daily horoscope anymore. I only check it if something unusual seems to be going on.])

At this point the way I view it is that there may be an almost infinite amount of knowledge to be gained by correlating even less prominent astrological bodies into charts, but of course focusing too much upon too many of them for any individual is prohibitive in practicality.

It could just be that people will find what they need to know personally about the astrological meaning of particular asteroids in a synchronistic fashion, just as so much else in life happens synchronistically. All of astrology could be seen as one giant synchronicity, in a way- given that it is not known how it works, but the correlations obviously hold up anyway.

The asteroids would never subsume the importance of the main planets, but I do think they are worthy of consideration, possibly to a greater or lesser degree depending upon the specifics of a person's chart. I have found that my "empty houses" are interesting to look at in regard to what asteroids fall there, though as I said I have not found great personal importance or use for most asteroids at this point.

There is a lot to be said for the traditions and history of astrology, but I think it would be tragic to prevent the aquisition of practical useful astrological knowledge due to too much reliance on tradition. I really find it surprising that any astrologers don't use pluto. It seems such an obviously real and important influence in my experience, unless I've been misinterpreting things. I say, get the basics of one's chart first, a good basis, and then try out any other things experimentally to see what fits and has importance. That has worked for me, in any case.

I wonder a lot about what really causes astrology to work. If it is about fields and forces from planets (or fields and forces from something else), or if it is about ideas which somehow have real existence, or if it is just about mirroring between the human and the cosmos- but that last does not tell why. But regardless of why, I must trust my own experience, and look at anything which I might find possibly useful.

bladeraven said:
Planet Tarot???
Many asteroids are named by the person who discovers them. We need to get someone with a telescope to name the next one "asteroid Tarot". (It really can be surprising and amusing to see where a lot of seemingly randomly named asteroids fall in a chart- such as surnames and country names, simple nouns, mythological figures, names of famous people, etc. They really seem to have meaning, though it is not earth shattering. I actually went on an obsessive curiosity based spree of casting asteroids into my chart (and a few into the charts of a handful of people who I know well) a couple of years ago- I did about 160 of them, aspects and all, wrote it down, filed it away, then promptly forgot about them.)

If there is a full fleged life supporting planet anywhere called planet Tarot, I want to live there. ;) But AT is the metaphorical planet tarot.

Minderwiz

The Dreamer,

You've raised a lot of interesting issues there - and it would take a book to reply to them all. I'll try and be brief but give some food for thought and further investigation.

Starting somewhere in the middle; The 'tradition' of Astrology became almost lost around the end of the Nineteenth Century and virtually buried in the twentieth. Over the last twenty years of so it has made a revival. Mainly because of the lack of rationale and discipline in the 'psychological' or modern approach. Astrology has become vitually an adjunct of Psychology, with people with good qualifications in psychology 'adjusting' Astrology to fit their theories because they don't know the rationale behind Astrology - hence your query on how does Astrology work. For the original Astrologers the answer was easy - it works by transmission of light (so if you can't see a planet or asteroid then it carries no importance). Whether this is 'correct' or not doesn't really matter in the context of my answer - they had a reason for what they did and a methodological approach, which modern Astrology often lacks.

A knowledge of the rationale underlying Astrology is important, even to deal with issues such as how much weight to attach to Pluto or how do we carry Astrology forward and develop it - because the 'tradition' represents a development process - there isn't a single 'traditional ' view. If we know the reasoning and underlying rationale then we can incorporate Pluto or Chiron into a system, rather than just ad hoc cobbling them on because they sound interesting.

Those Astrologers who don't use Pluto - such as John Frawley - would argue that there's nothing that Pluto can tell us that can't already be read from the chart. I don't necessarily agree with this but at least he can point to a reasoned argument for his proposition based on Astrological rather than psychological methods. My point would be that if we are going to add them into the framework of Astrology then we have to know what that framework is. You might try reading some of the later work of Rob Hand or the works of Lee Lehman to see how techniques and methods once lost can be made use of in a modern context. You might still continue to use Chiron and Pluto but perhaps against a more structured background. I found the process useful and I think you would find it repays the hard work, if only for the realisation that Signs, Houses and Planets are very different entities and play very different roles.

Indeed one starting point on this road is to realise that 'an empty house' is not a void or hole in the chart. It has a ruler and the condition and placement of that ruler tells you a lot about the affairs of that house. Transits and progressions involving the ruler can indicate future trends in the affairs of that house - 'modern' psychological Astrology does not handle the 'empty house' well - hence the perceived need to fill it with asteroids or any other available body.

Our knowledge of the origin and 'tradition' is still quite sketchy but slowly a picture will emerge which will help us take Astrology forward on it's own basis, not simply on the coat tails of Psychology. A way in which the 'infinite' amount of information could be integrated into a system.

dadsnook2000

Some more comments

Most of the "possible-to-use" astrological traffic that could be placed into one's natal chart lies along the zodiac belt. Are we forgetting the rest of the sky? What is in the rest of the sky -- why, stars of course. This takes us back to basic astrological practice "way back when." Sun rise and sun set were important times for astrologers-astronomers-priests because they could mark the seasons and calanadar by which stars were setting or rising.

The names of the major stars actually related to the seasons or to events that happened in those seasons. And, each of these stars had attributes that were considered when interpreting a chart. Regulus was the Royal Star associated (when culminating or rising) with kingship and great achievement. Algol was associated with bad things such as death.

The point of all of this is that those who are running off chasing any of several thousand minor "things" circling the Sun are most likely wasting their time and depriving themselves of pursuing a more fruitful path of astrological learning. If some one wanted to explore more than the planets, signs, houses and aspects in a natal chart -- and we all know there is so much more to astrology than just a natal chart -- then I would suggest looking at the fixed stars with their rich lore and documented applicabililty to astrology. This is an area that I intend to pursue in a few months time. Dave.

Minderwiz

Dave,

You are quite right in pointing out the use (or current lack of use) of the fixed stars. I was recently reading 'The Beginning of Wisdom' by Avraham Ibn Ezra and his descriptions of the decantes for each sign makes clear and explicit references to the constellations and fixed stars in each of the decantes - mentioning 1022 stars, of which 346 are in the constellation signs themselves. You clearly have a lot of material there to investigate!

Incidentally, the clear implication of Ibn Ezra's descriptions are that he was using a sidereal zodiac, not a tropical one and that the decantes are sidereal in origin. Given your interest in sidereal issues you might find it an interesting read (though it is only an introductory text).

Minderwiz

Back on the main theme; according to today's paper

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1539786,00.html

the 'new planet' has been unoffically called Xena after the TV character. Perhaps those psychological Astrologers queueing for ephemerides might start to visualise it as symbolising the character and manner of a warrior princess. They could add in a guilt complex because of former dastardly deeds and also start looking for a companion Kuiper belt object that could be named Gabrielle - the interaction and aspects between these two bodies open up a universe of insights into the female psyche (as seen by TV scriptwriters) })

Zephyros

M-Press said:
You guys rock!

Exactly what I was thinking. Just saw the news in the paper and I hurried over here to ask whether it would have any astrological meaning. Perhaps it would not on the personal level, since it is too slow, but what about on a greater level. A planet devoted to "the great scheme of things"?