New Planet!

Minderwiz

closrapexa said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Just saw the news in the paper and I hurried over here to ask whether it would have any astrological meaning. Perhaps it would not on the personal level, since it is too slow, but what about on a greater level. A planet devoted to "the great scheme of things"?

We already have a measure of the great scheme of things - the Great Year - 25,868 years - the time taken for the Vernal Equinox to precess through the entire zodiac. This Great Year can be broken down into the twelve ages, the time it takes for the Vernal equinox to precess through one sign.

At least this measure is related to something we have good knowledge of - the signs and their rulers, so the Ages of Aries, Pisces and the forthcoming Age of Aquarius give us a reasonable idea of how the great scheme is changing.

Whether the second 'warrior princess' (the first is Venus as the Morning Star) will add to our understanding is doubtful - even if we know its orbit accurately back to the dawn of 'civilised' man, actually correlating it to know events is vitually impossible. It's symbolic value is likely to be small if not zero.

isthmus nekoi

You raise some good questions Dreamer........ here's my opinion, a little off center:

Let's say you want a webpage and are thinking about hiring b/w two people:

Person A is a hardcore designer, loves the Dreamweaver and cries when confronted with code.

Person B is a hardcore programmer, loves the xml and cries when confronted with Photoshop.

Each person has their strengths and weaknesses. But in the end, what matters more is who makes the best website for YOU.

What I'm trying to say is, find what works for you and serves YOUR purposes. There is no one right way to approach astrology. So I would try to narrow down what it is exactly you want out of astrology and go from there.

On my end, Minderwiz has really encouraged me to appreciate the traditional stuff (e.g. I now use traditional rulers for signs)... But I also find I've had to junk a lot of traditional stuff b/c it doesn't apply to modern society as I'm in a totally different world of multiculturalism, changing gender roles etc. As for the modern stuff, I've seen Pluto's transits correlate with external events in people's lives too many times to write Pluto off, but then I've also cringed at a lot of the modern astro writing that imo, totally bastardizes Jungian theory. Anyways, in the end, the bottom line is to find techniques that aid you best and are consistent and reliable.

Minderwiz

isthmus nekoi said:
... But I also find I've had to junk a lot of traditional stuff b/c it doesn't apply to modern society as I'm in a totally different world of multiculturalism, changing gender roles etc. As for the modern stuff, I've seen Pluto's transits correlate with external events in people's lives too many times to write Pluto off, but then I've also cringed at a lot of the modern astro writing that imo, totally bastardizes Jungian theory. Anyways, in the end, the bottom line is to find techniques that aid you best and are consistent and reliable.

In one very real sense the tradition is multicultural, with important contributions from Babylonians (Iraqis) Persians (Iranians), Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Arabs, Indians and Western Europeans - indeed to call it 'Western' is something of a misnomer.

There are clear problems with using it though. Much of it comes from societies and cultures that were highly agrarian, where survival was a day to day issue (e.g no rain = massive starvation) and needing to consult your therapist about why you are still depressed after purchasing your 27th cow was not really an issue. Many of the real day to day issues in our society were obviously not addressed.

Secondly the approach to life and indeed writing was very different. It seems that the use of over exageration to make a point was quite common. Thus people who we might regard as 'academics' often described things as 'evil', 'wicked', or 'malefic' in the way teenagers today use these words for effect. Thus we need to tone down the way that we take much of these writings but look for the underlying methodology. If these are statements that don't rest on apparantly clear astrological thinking, then they are of little use to us - at least till we find the relevant texts. Worse still, they often assume a familarity with their methods that we don't have - no explanations are given and we have to try and puzzle out meaning.

Thirdly the Astrologers concerned come from a patriarchal society where the role of women was seen as subordinate but vital - no children = no comfortable old age and no one to continue the farm/estate/craft. There are few examples of work devoted to women's issues. Indeed if women featured at all in Astrological issues they were either Queens, duchesses, etc in their own right or they were the object of questions relating to marriage, childbearing, or the provision of doweries.

Given that it is noteworthy that some of the foremost traditional Astrologers of today are women - people like Lee Lehman, Bernadette Brady, Deborah Houlding, some of whom live lifestyles that would have scandalised their male predecessors all those years ago.

As you say, there is also a lot of rubbish spouted by modern psychological Astrologers - indeed in reading a work by a well known Astrological 'Counsellor' I nearly set fire to the book! The task we are faced with is to try and challenge what is said (whether by modern or ancient Astrologers) in order to know why we practise Astrology in the way that we do and to get a method that works for us. Trying to understand why Saturn is regarded as a malefic, or why Mercury is strong in Virgo but not in Pisces or why to change the reading of a chart if the native was born at night helps us understand what we are doing. Yes we might discard some of these ideas or realise that they are not quite what we think they are.

In the same sense we should ask why Pluto represents transformation or why it is related to sex and see if the reasoning holds up. Why is Uranus associated with revolutions and the unconventional? Why is Neptune related to the transcendental - is it simply because that is the 'received wisdom' or is there a sound Astrological basis for the belief?

If you don't know why you are doing it then there will inevitably be a limit to your progress. I certainly feel I need to know and understand more in order to continue to make progress.

wizzle

JPL Website

For anyone wanting to know breaking news on the new planet/whatever, I suggest you bookmark this website

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/

The press tends to distort science. A discovery of this magnitude would require a thorough peer review prior to public release and if you look a the website you will see that the photograph is dated 10/31/2003 and re-analyzed in January of this year.

isthmus nekoi

Great points, Minderwiz. I agree w/the lines of questioning you raise when it comes to the modern stuff which seems to me, changes things due to symbolic reasoning (hm..... mother is bound to the home, so let's have 4th house represent mother etc). I definetely find this a lot "fuzzier" than the older lines of reasoning which seem to be more systematic. And while some older stuff doesn't really hold scientifically (and also fluctuates!) - e.g. Venus is quite a hot, moist planet in reality but I believe post-Ptolemy authors cite her as cold - at least it seems they had a far more concrete system(s) at work.

There's nothing wrong w/the symbolic approach but it becomes very personal/subjective and if your purpose w/astro is going to be say... writing authorative books about planets and signs, then perhaps you'd better try a more objective approach! This is not to say the traditional stuff is not coloured by personal/subjective bias though - you've already pointed out they do.

In a way, it seems an analagous debate we see rehashed over and over in the tarot forums b/w the hardcore academic readers and the highly intuitive readers exists to an extent in astrology as well. I say to an extent b/c tarot by nature is a far more flexible system than astro.

Bluemanticore

I sure hope they're just kidding about naming the new planet "Xena." If they want a female warrior name, they could do just fine naming it Diana (Roman for Artemis.) all the planets are named after Roman deities, after all, and Diana is also the name of Wonder Woman. Then they'd have their warrior princess. :D

Minderwiz

Bluemanticore said:
I sure hope they're just kidding about naming the new planet "Xena." If they want a female warrior name, they could do just fine naming it Diana (Roman for Artemis.) all the planets are named after Roman deities, after all, and Diana is also the name of Wonder Woman. Then they'd have their warrior princess. :D

I think the article said that they were using this as an unofficial name - however according to John Frawley, Frank Zappa has an asteroid named after him, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that in a year or two's time some psychological Astrologers will be warning you that your Frank Zappa is inconjunct your Xena.

Isthmus,

yes you are right - there are at least two views of Venus' innate temperament. Ptolemy actually says Venus is temperately Hot and Moist - like Spring (Venus after all is a fruitful planet) but most of the later Astrologers see Venus as moderately cold and moderately wet (bear in mind that for the Greeks 'nothing in excess' was an ideal to live up to and was written on the Temple of Apollo).

To make matters worse Venus' tempreature changes with her phase - so for Lilly (and others) Venus oriental of the Sun (that is Venus rises before the Sun) is 'Hot and Moist' but occidental of the Sun (rises after the Sun) Venus is simply moist (and for others cold and moist).

Seeing that the 'tradition' has texts covering nearly 2000 years, it's not surprising that there are some disagreements.

I tend to see Venus as intrinsically cold and moist - it's a nocturnal planet - but it's the least nocturnal, so only moderately cold and moist.

When it rises before the Sun, then I take it as Hot and Moist - again only temperately so but it is warmed by the Sun. When it's the Evening Star (rising after the Sun) it's back to moderately Cold and Moist.