Dating this RWS

Chrystella

I read that thread, like twice. I think I need to read it about eight more times.

(It would never have had a little BLUE book, BTW, only a little WHITE one !)

Are the cards glossy (as in sort of plasticised ?) That started in 1985.

Thank you, yes, I meant little white book :p

The cards are not glossy or plasticised. Could they have been at some point? They weren't by the time they got to my hands.

Your box definitely has some mileage. :laugh:

Haha, yes. I would have added a photo of the top of the box, but that's long gone too.

To add a little context, this deck belonged to my high school English teacher. She used to read with it and she gave it to me when I was about 16, around 1994 (and if you're better at math than I am, now you know how old I am). My guess is that she bought it at some point and had it for a while, but I can't be certain.

Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate your feedback.

gregory

OK - post 1980, pre 1985.

Pretty good really - I have many decks I can't pinpoint anywhere near that close !

Chrystella

OK - post 1980, pre 1985.

Pretty good really - I have many decks I can't pinpoint anywhere near that close !

Thanks very much! That makes me happy. Now I need to get my hands on a Blue Box and a 1970s sans copyright :D

Chrystella

Today I met my old RWS deck with a new appreciation. A friend showed me her brand new RWS and I bought the Centennial edition as well. Beautiful and clean as they are, the cardstock they are printed on feels really thin compared to mine. Also, they are slick and shiny. I know they're not meant to last forever, but these don't seem like they're meant to hold up for more than a few years. Moving forward, when people ask me for a suggestion about what deck to get, I think I'll recommend a "vintage" deck.

Richard

Today I met my old RWS deck with a new appreciation. A friend showed me her brand new RWS and I bought the Centennial edition as well. Beautiful and clean as they are, the cardstock they are printed on feels really thin compared to mine. Also, they are slick and shiny. I know they're not meant to last forever, but these don't seem like they're meant to hold up for more than a few years. Moving forward, when people ask me for a suggestion about what deck to get, I think I'll recommend a "vintage" deck.
That is unfortunate. The Centennial Edition that came with my PCS Commemorative Set is easily the thickest card stock of any deck that I have ever owned. Moreover, it is not at all glossy or slick.

prudence

That is unfortunate. The Centennial Edition that came with my PCS Commemorative Set is easily the thickest card stock of any deck that I have ever owned. Moreover, it is not at all glossy or slick.

I don't find mine glossy or slick either. The finish seems almost matte compared to decks that are seriously glossy. The card stock feels like it will last quite a while and I am not really that careful with certain decks of mine that are not difficult to replace. Then again, I do not own any of the older versions, and I have never seen/held one in real life, it does make me wonder about their card stock and finish.

Chrystella

The Centennial deck is really lovely. I love it already. The cardstock is only a little bit thinner. It's smooth - it is new, after all - but not glossy.

The glossy and slick one on thinner cardstock is my friend's new RWS. On the bright side, it's easy to shuffle and probably just needs breaking in. It came in a nice sturdy box too.