Recommend Some Intermediate Books

Minderwiz

I'd mainly start with what you've got and leave the Brady book for the time being - put it on your wanted list but don't buy.

Then sort through your pile and go with the best introductory book that you've got - just to get an overview. Then read the books relating to houses (Sasportas is a classic) and forecasting (I tried to get the Sophie Mason book last year but it was out of print) and then onto the Karma books.

Don't buy anything else till you've read what you've got unless you need an introduction book, in which case go for Arroyo's Chart Interpretation Handbook.

When you've finished them let me know what you want to sell LOL

Ophiel

Carol Rushman book

Minderwiz...can you tell I'm a Sag sun? I mean, all the books I buy. And that I'm more interested in the philosophy than the practice? The philosophy of the Sag. And that I run out and buy books shouldn't surprise you, with my Aries Moon! And that I won't sell my books, with my Scorpio rising. If I sold some of my old books, I wouldn't have to walk sideways in my apartment, between stacks of books. LOL.

Um...before I read your message about not buying even one more book, and knowing that I am not a beginner having to start from the first square (I Do know that Aries is a fixed water sign!) while out this afternoon, I saw one book that to my untrained eye, looked pretty good, and was wondering what you think, if you are even familiar with it. It's called "The Art of Predictive Astrology" by Carol Rushman. It had some good overviews, me thinks. I do have that Arroyo book on chart interpretation and will skim through it. I've read it before and know MOST of what's in there. It will be my refresher. (I also have a book on chart interpretation by Tracy Marks that is decent, too...I'll skim that as well.) I didn't list all the astrology books I have, just the ones I thought might indicative of my buying habits. I have some astro-cookbook-style books I occasional use (not often though), the Hand "Horoscope Symbols," Debbie Kempton-Smith's "Secret From a Stargazer's Workbook," etc.

Can you tell I still have some gift money left over, burning a hole in my pocket?

Thanks again for all your patience.

Minderwiz

I have both the Carol Rushman book and the Tracy Marks book - My Mercury in Scorpio compels me to collect and READ as many Astrology books as I can. My Overdraft in Bank Account tells me that this is not necessarily something I can sustain LOL

Both are good and well worth a place in any collection.

Ophiel

Great. Then I know what I must do...order the Rushman book and read one I have here before it arrives! Thank you again. I forget exactly how far from the sun Mercury "can" be, a sign or two? That means you are a fall/winter birth yourself! Great time of the year, ain't it?

Ophiel

Update

Just as an update, I jumped into Arroyo's Chart Interpretation book last night, and had forgotten what a wonderful book it is, with all the discussions about the nature of the elements. THAT fascinates me, finding the element influences in the world around me through the people I encounter. I'll probably get into Arroyo's "Astrology, Psychology, and the Four Elements" next, and after a second look at the Rushman book, I think I'll tackle that afterwards. It looks like exactly what I need to read right now.

Thanks again for all your guidance.
Ophiel

Minderwiz

Ophiel,

That's a good selection - let us know how you get on

Ophiel

I am reading every night and morning, the Arroyo books. I'm enjoying the Chart Interpretations text, and that is leading me into his Elements and Karma/Transformation books. He sites particular chapters that I am finding quite remarkable. It has been some years since I've read astrology books. I've ordered the Carol Rushman book and have been sitting with a damaged copy at the bookstore, reading sections in the coffee shop when I go there. My copy will be here probably some time next week. I really like this book and from what I've been reading in both Arroyo and Rushman, I can see I never gave astrology a fair chance in trying to unravel some of the more complicated issues. Rushman is a decent writer.

I also found a used copy of the Oken "Complete Astrology" book you mentioned, and that looks more basic, but very thorough also. I see some sections I want to read already.

Perhaps in a short while, I'll be in a better position to hold a semi-intelligent conversation in this group, though I must admit I can follow what's going on, but don't have any insights to share.

No doubt you know about this, but just in case you do not...I've subscribed to the free service with this site and get an occasional link to a famous person's natal chart, sometimes an event chart. There are some astrological discussions about the charts, too. I have some Lois Rodden books, charts of well known people, and find this material quite good for studying. With the encouragement from this group, I'm sure it (the charts at this site) will have new meaning.

http://www.astrodatabank.com/

You can access quite a few charts from the links on the right side of the screen. I thnk Lois is trying to sell her compilations of accurate birth data.

Perhaps this message is more suitable as a PM...