Animal/Nature Tarot

hereeternally

[The Animism Tarot] Animal/Nature Tarot

Hi everyone,

I'm still really new to tarot cards. While I got my first deck around a year ago, I haven't been really able to dedicate myself to really learning the cards and developing my relationship with them. But tarot artwork has always intrigued me so early in the summer of this year, I really wanted to try my hand at creating some tarot card art.

More recently, my art has been greatly influenced by animals so I decided to bring that influence into my cards. I created my first tarot card - The Hanged Man, and have (really REALLY) slowly been creating new cards, which has been quite the challenge, especially for a beginner! Planning each card has been such an involving process from learning more about the cards, choosing the 'right' animal to the layout of the card, the details, etc, etc. It's definitely been fun though and I've had some nice feedback so far.. even a few inquiries for the full deck, but I have this feeling that it may take months and months to years and years to actually finish this deck! I have, er, 7 cards painted right now?? But it's nice to have a goal at least.

I'm still slowly working on them. Today I'm starting a new card and had it all planned out.. except now I may end up changing it entirely because it just doesn't feel quite right. I definitely think the hardest part is getting started and finalizing an idea before even pulling out that paintbrush.

Still, being very very new to tarot, I wonder what I could accomplish when I become a little more experienced with the imagery and meanings.. I feel like I could probably develop the completed illustrations more, but I guess that can be a new goal in the years to come.. and probably in a whole new deck (eek.) For now this deck is my way of learning.

Anyway, I have my completed tarot card art on deviantart at http://sobeyondthis.deviantart.com/gallery/32847081

And I have a fairly new blog with some posts about the tarot art as well at http://rainbowofcrazy.wordpress.com/?s=tarot
The blog is mostly dedicated to my art in general so there's a bit of a mix of subjects in there.

I also don't have a proper name for this deck yet.. hopefully one day!

starlightexp

Love the artwork and your use of color is fab. Really can't wait to see more of your stuff.
It'll take a long time but will be soooo worth the journey

gregory

Those cards are lovely. VERY well done - keep going.

Milfoil

Beautiful artwork, very nice indeed. :)

rota

I imagine there's really no better way to learn tarot than by making card images!

GryffinSong

They're delightful! I look forward to watching your progress. :)

HudsonGray

Those have a really nice look to them, AND you're doing a Happy Squirrel Card too! Yeay!

truelighth

Beautiful artwork! I definately am looking forward to seeing your other cards. :)

They are also so cute! I just had a look at the 8 of pentacles. That beaver is just very cute. And a very smart way of incorperating the pentacles too. Love it!

Briar Rose

It sounds like Animal Nature Tarot is a great name! :heart: And I love the cards you designed. I can identify with the images right away. Each face has it's own personality. I love your artistic style with color, and drawing, and the way to portray the meanings through the images, right away.

I can't wait for the whole deck. Don't give up. It's on my wish list.