Why hate on the celtic cross?

Kosjitov

Here's my thoughts on the CC.

"You're a beginner? Good. Here's your first step on the journey: the celtic cross"

People who haven't even begun learning what their cards mean, or how the nearby cards can alter the meanings, are effectively introduced to this first and foremost. Whether as the "generic all purpose" here, or as an insert accompanying their first deck. It's kind of a notch in your belt that most readers are expected to accomplish before they consider themselves in any way proficient.

"Positions, please!"

It's also very daunting in that it's 10 cards. I have a shoddy memory, so I often have to remind myself of the positions. Trying to balance remembering the placement and the meanings of the cards vs their position... it's like telling someone to keep 10 spinning plates going when they can barely handle one. All of this while trying to read the little white book.

"When I read, position 7 means..."

Variations. I've seen several people who read the "staff" in different ways. Try looking it up, and for the most part the cross is the same across different representations, but the staff can differ. I got caught up in changing positions 7-9 when I was learning. I'm certain I'm not the only one guilty of this (or worse! ;) ) When I opt to do readings, I make sure to use the same spread from the same place to keep continuity.

"Overkill!!!!!!!!1!1!one"

Talk about using a cannon to kill a mosquito? Sometimes for simple questions, the cross suffices and the staff is unnecessary/redundant/red-herring information. Derp. As others mentioned, sometimes a 3 card draw can be more efficient.

Padma

I really like the Celtic Cross, and use it to great effect - but only when I have a question that requires a lot of in-depth information (i.e., what the angles are, how others view this, what I really am wanting or asking subconsciously, etc) when I use it for that, it is providential - otherwise, the three card or 6 card draws are sublime :)

When reading for others, I always use the CC - it gets to the point and gives me a lot of information to work with.

I also wondered why everyone here seemed to dislike it so much - thanks for the thread, Legion, it has cleared up a mystery for me.

Lokismile

I really like the Celtic Cross, and use it to great effect - but only when I have a question that requires a lot of in-depth information...

...When reading for others, I always use the CC - it gets to the point and gives me a lot of information to work with.

Precisely. When using the Thoth with clients I utilize the CC for probably 75% of my one hour sessions.

I use it less with the Maroon and never with the Luciferian; many decks and their readers align well with certain templates, but the CC is the "Starbucks" of the tarot world. Some like the CC, some hate it, but most are fully familiar and you get a consistent product result each and every time.

Carla

I use the CC as a default spread when I am not sure what spread to use. It's great to fall back on because it's just so familiar.

Le Fanu

I'm fine with the Celtic Cross. When I was a beginner this was the spread I was faced with when I bought a new deck of cards. Strange to think this is stil the default spread with US Games decks thirty or more years on. Now it's in with all Fournier decks too

I don't see any problem with beginners seeing this one. I wasn't traumatised by it. I learnt it and the positions now are 2nd nature. I use that version included in all of Kaplan's books. There were even scarier spreads around then. Next to Kaplan's 56 card spread :bugeyed: the CC looks very accessible. I use it sparingly though. Only for bigger issues or when Im reading for someone I don't really know and they want something "general" and the CC usually picks it up.

There has been a trend for people trying to immortalize themselves by creating all these very weird and clever spreads. Its's a good, one-size-fits-all spread and I don't see the harm in learning it and adding it to your repertoire. Most of the time, however, I do 3-card spreads. Or 5 or 7. The CC is the only 10 card spread I do.

firefrost

I don't like it. When I was getting back into tarot seriously again about 13 years ago, I joined an association where the training course rammed the CC down the participants.

It was such a relief to get it over with and find the spreads that work best for me. Three to five cards in a row are ideal for me now.

danieljuk

love the posts about for a long time it was "the tarot spread". The Celtic Cross is great in some situations for a question. But a nightmare for a beginner with all the positions and placement and what does this mean in context and this! I do use it for complex answers to questions. But I use 3 card spreads or smaller spreads more. If I get the same answers without all that card interpretation and time and effort into the CC, its easier for me :)

The big change I think in tarot because I learnt it as a teenager and have now come back to it 15 years later, is that its much more liberal these days. You can do whatever you want, put your own interpretation on cards and make your own spreads with your own positions. It used to be surrounded by far more rules and conservatism. Celtic Cross was "the spread" you always used. I think changing times has affected the usage of CC! I don't hate it but don't often use it for my personally. I love my own made spreads and trying people's created ones on here so much!

louiseb

i personally have never done the cc spread i find it too confusing, one thing i realised is in every beginers book they give the cc spread as an example, for me to use this spread as a beginner is confusing and i dont believe any one picking up the cards for the first time can truly understand this spread. I have learnt other more simpler spreads that give just as good an answer with less complications, but this is only my view on the cc.

poopsie

Although I do try other spreads and also make up my own, I still find the Celtic cross quite in-depth and comprehensive. Sometimes when i really do not know what spread to use, the celtic cross turns up to be quite useful and revealing. It's not as bad as others may see it although spreads are also influenced by type of quesions people have and maybe, the cross may not necessarily be the right one to use in some caseS.

Tiddles

Nevermind, I just answered my own question by google.