Homebody Cancer vs. Homebody Virgo?

dadsnook2000

Signs -- what are they?

There are several observations that can be made about astrological signs:
** They are mathematical constructs that are projected onto the stars, the celestial sphere that surrounds the earth. On this basis, they are nothing in themselves.
** They are used as a reference and measuring tool to aid us in locating stars and planets and other "bodies" and points which we both observe in the celestial sphere and place upon our two-dimensional charts.
** This reference circle is seen to start at the Aries Point which is where the Sun crosses into its northern portion of its annual cycle and synchronizes the seasons of earth. These seasons are goverened by the tilt of the Earth's axis relative to its orbital place about the Sun.

From these three statements we might choose to make this statement, "The Signs are seasonal-based relative to the Earth-Sun relationship. From this we can say that the seasons affect our culture, our life environment, our health. The seasonal Sun then become a powerful focus of culturally related meanings.

Since a cycle, which the Earth's path about the Sun and its axis tilt provides us with, is a continuous phenomena we have to reconcile how Signs and their distinct segmentation of meanings and be reconciled with the smooth flow of a cycle! What exactly is a Sign?

A SIGN IS: A broad set of statements and generally accepted meanings which are a cultural distillation of beliefs. Each Sign is a contiguous step in a whole cycle of meaning -- it derives much of its validity of meaningful statements from being part of a "wholeness" of thought.

When we write/read a sentence, a phrase, a page, or a chapter about a Sign (the more that is said the better we relate to it) we gather in an essence of that Sign's meaning. We don't use every word we read, we don't agree or disagree with every word or phrase, but we do relate to selected portions of it and by doing so we accept it. Collectively, we all broadly agree on much of the general meaning of a sign, so we therefore believe that Signs are "true".

Because of the broadness of meanings we can meld the segmented view of a sign with a continuous flow of a cycle -- if we are flexible mentally, or if we use a house system for a chart which places the house-cusps where we need them to be so as to affirm what we believe we see for meanings.

We have other questions to consider relative to Signs. Do they apply just to the Sun? The planets have no seasonal influence in the way the Sun does. So why should we apply Sun-Sign meanings to planets?

And there is another question to consider. Which zodiac is correct? With some 25 degrees of difference between the Tropical-Seasonal zodiac and the Sidereal zodiac which is right? If an astrologer from both systems can tell a client about their life and the situations they are facing, how can be both be right? Which is wrong? Remember, 25 degrees of the Signs that each are using are different from what the other is using. Only 5 degrees of each are in the same Sign-space.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say relative to these questions. Note, I do not use signs as a general rule. I can obviously use them quite well and in a detailed fashion, but I choose not to use them. Yet, my astrology is very detailed, very confident, very accurate. So, given all of this, what are Signs, what are their value, which type of signs are right, why do they work or not work? As astrologers, we all have to be comfortable with these issues. Dave

franniee

dadsnook2000 said:
I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say relative to these questions. Note, I do not use signs as a general rule. I can obviously use them quite well and in a detailed fashion, but I choose not to use them. Yet, my astrology is very detailed, very confident, very accurate. So, given all of this, what are Signs, what are their value, which type of signs are right, why do they work or not work? As astrologers, we all have to be comfortable with these issues. Dave

Hi Dave,

Your points are well taken! No Doubt. However don't you have to start somewhere? Don't you have to have a beginning point or an anchor from which to begin?

How do you work your astrological readings without reference to the sun sign and other signs? (this is not a challenge - I truly believe your astrological readings are be dead on - I am just curious and want to learn)

thanks,
Fran

dadsnook2000

An answer for franniee

The zodiac signs and degrees are absolutely useful as a measuring or reference tool so that everyone can start with the right positions and relationships.

At birth, on has a specific and unique TIME of birth and LOCATION of birth. No body else has that, as a general rule, on that day and year. This gives one a unique set of chart angles, house positions, and planet placement relative to those angles and houses. One can start with that for chart delineation. In fact, that is just what I do.

** I focus first on planets at or near the angles.
** I focus on several pairs of planetary combinations and their phase relationship to each other: Sun and Moon, Saturn and Moon, Jupiter and Mercury, Mars and Venus, Saturn and Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus. These paint a broad picture of one's personality and character, family conditioning, ability to communicate socially, one's sense of poise and comfort in gender and gender relationships, ones sense of social opportunity and rules of conduct, and ones appreciation of social change and its personal impact.
** I focus on aspects, particularly Conjunctions, Oppositions, Squares and 45 and 235 degree aspects. These are action, percipitation, event oriented aspects. Answer this question, "Does ones character define how one will deal with life, -- or does the actions, decisions and happenings in life help to shape one's character?
** I focus on house positions as well as the cycles that the heavier planets are expressing thru those houses. For example, where did Saturn and Jupiter conjunct before you were born? The birth positions of Saturn and Jupiter relative to that starting cycle point will show how you can best operate within society.

I do use a lot of other stuff depending upon what I'm looking for or what the chart tells me. I use various cyclic charts such as Solar Returns, I use mid-point and equal arc theory -- many of these methods are beyond the interest level of many of those who follow this forum, so I don't cover them. Does this answer your question? Dave

franniee

OH then I misunderstood your initial post - i thought you said you didn't look at the signs of the houses and such. UGH - nevermind! I am sorry!

I also thought that maybe you were speaking of progressions and such. You were saying that you didn't put much stock in horoscope type readings. I get it!

So sorry!! :)

dadsnook2000

Sun sign astrology

Sun signs appear to have a basis of validity. How much of a stretch is it to apply a solar declination cycle to a planet that has its own declination cycle? Only if we relate the planet to the Sun in an aspect interpretation might the Sun's declination (another way of seeing the seasonal effect) tinge the planet's meaning. At least that is a thought. Is it valid? Who knows.

All I'm saying, really, is that none of us like or will use all the methods that can be used as part of our astrological practice. What one can't use, another finds to be a perfect fit. The chart is just an imperfect model of us. How it works, why it works is a mystery. We each have to find our path and that takes time.

But, if you decide to adopt a particular practice, then you should really fully understand it and insist that it always work -- allowing for our own failings here and there. Dave.

FantasyWorld

dadsnook2000 said:
Home and Introversion

HOME for a Cancer tends to be a nest, a place of comfort and retreat, a place where safety and familiar people/possessions abound.
HOME for a Virgo tends to a repository, a library, a workshop, a place where things are kept that are used.
Both tend to have "clutter" or lots of stuff, but Virgos like lots of little things where Cancers like soft things. Virgos may have a hundred pencils and pens at hand where Cancers have pictures and stuffed animals as examples of clutter.

Cancer people enjoy creature comforts such as comfortable furniture, food and warm clothes. Not to say they don't like gardens, flowers and natural places and environments, but the focus is more on what keeps them comfortable and secure. Protectiveness seems to be part of the typical makeup. One would expect "Colonial" style homes, rustic, lots of warm wood, braided rugs, country living themes, small paned windows, cabinets with glass to show of dishes and collectibles, etc.

Virgo people enjoy comfortable clothes, earth-related things (such as warm wood items like Cancers) but their homes are more of a "resource" area in terms of how they see it. Contrary to being "neat freaks" they can just as likely be clutter-collectors BUT the difference is they know just where things are among the clutter and resent it when other interfere with what is where. Virgos are also very sexual while Cancers see sexuality more as part of their comfort and support network.

Cancers can be moody whereas Virgo's are tempermental. Moody relates to feelings, temperment relates to attitude and expectations. So, I would see the difference being related to Cancer-feelings versus Virgo-preferences. Emotions versus logic.

Now, generalizations can only go so far as there are some 1800 basic factors other than sun-signs that can significantly interact in such a way as to out weigh sun signs. Sun in a sign, in terms of meanings, are based on seasonal and cultural developments passed through generations. Planet's in various patterns and aspects, along with the chart houses they are in, bring energy and dispositions to bear upon the Sun's meanings. So, you have to take Sun-sign astrology with several grains of salt. If you have any questions, do ask and I'll see what pops to mind. Dave

Wow! Great info....

Nail on the head.

DS #1 is Virgo Sun with Cancer Moon
DS #2 is Cancer Sun with Virgo Moon

EGAD! Polar opposites

franniee

absolutely! thank you!

I have a "moderate" knowledge of astrology. I know my chart and how each aspect interacts - houses, signs, rulers etc, but I get lost with the 3 dimensionality of the chart. :) Something I need to work on.

Fran