The Churchyard Spread

Semiramis

I just did this spread for myself and it was eerie the way it was so accurate. The fool came up as #5, and all the cards before it were dead on. The cards immediately after it were a little bit negative but I was half expecting that, and then gradually they turned more positive ending with the Chariot, which hopefully means I can get through to my goal if I don't give up. A very interesting spread, and gives you lots to think about.

Paradox

Whoa, well I've always been one for trying new spreads, so this thread caught my eye. I've been (as most high schoolers are) heavily burdened with college selection. This'll sound cocky, but I'm smart, so I have a tough decision to make. I had narrowed the amount of universities down to eight, and I have picked the one I think I'll most likely attend. So today I tried this spread on my college selection decision. As I flipped over the cards I got more and more anxious. I was worried that the Fool would be last. Notable cards I flipped over were the Lovers (reversed, but I wasn't sure if reverses counted in this one) and the two of chalices. That seemed like a mini-theme, which I get. My very last card was the Fool, I guess I've already done all the thinking I should on it.

tmgrl2

I love this spread, destiny!

I'm going to print it out and tomorrow at work, I was going to offer a reading. Instead I think I'll throw the spread for myself.

This should be both fun and interesting.

terri

cait_inthe_moon

the churchyard spread

I did this spread and the fool came up last. The cards leading up to it were very accurate with what had been happening in my life. It was like reading a story that started two years ago. I really like this spread and plan on trying again. The first time I didn't have any specific question in mind, or any problems that I was looking for answers to. I just wanted something to concentrate on and clear my mind of everything before going to sleep.

freshyoyo

Well done, I will remember this one.

I will try it .

:)

WhiteRaven

This spread is amazingly accurate to the point of being eerie at times. I do wonder what it means when the Fool is found at the end of the spread though.

Thanks for sharing!

Jamwalls

Fabba than Abba when Abba were Fab

This spread is incredible, I used it last week when I was feeling very dissillusioned with my job situation, I (the fool) was 4th in the line, and the previous cards were very astute, but what has come to pass in just a week has moved me 2 cards nearer my end with uncanny accuracy.

This is certainly my favourite spread, and I can't wait to use it for someone else

tmgrl2

WhiteRaven said:
This spread is amazingly accurate to the point of being eerie at times. I do wonder what it means when the Fool is found at the end of the spread though.

Thanks for sharing!

I did a Reading for Maks (my friend) using this spread and I posted it in the Reading Exchange. The Fool was the 12th card. I do know Mary, but the cards were so on target re what led up to last card.

Next I want to do this reading for someone I don't know.

terri

Etain

I love this spread, came across it a couple of years ago in the same book and really liked it. I've found that it really does require you to be more in tune with what your questions is than, say, the celtic cross. I've used the Churchyard Special for a wide range of questions/issues and always come away feeling as if I have learned something... either about myself, the situation, or both. More than any other spread, I use this one as mental exercise, too!

On a related note, I have misplaced that book. There's a spread in there I can't quite remember the specifics of. Can anyone help? The cards are laid out in an arrow and bow formation (7 cards maybe?). I'm sorry I can't remember more... Thanks to anyone who can help.

Stephanie

Gardener

Hi Etain,

I agree that this spread really asks you to get in tune with what your question is about. Because the cards are essentially grouped into only two positions, past/known and future/hidden, it requires that we tell ourselves stories about the groupings in a way that is different from the Celtic Cross. We can either be more intuitive or more intellectual. I also find it easier to start seeing what I expect to see, though...

I went throught the Complete Book of Tarot Spreads looking for your bow and arrow, and didn't find anything like that. I did, however, find a 7 card spread called the Sword, laid out as follows:

xxxx 4
2 xx 1 xx 5 xx 6 xx7
xxxx 3

and that looks as much like an arrow as a sword, I think. Positions are interpreted as follows:

1. The heart of the matter
2. Your starting point
3. Your base or support
4. You chance (what will aid you)
5. A problem is being solved
6. A desire is being fulfilled
7. New knowledge, new insight

Does that seem familiar?