Book of Law Study Group 1.12

Grigori

First reading this line, I thought of the image of the Sun card, with naked children outside, celebrating and dancing, except in this case under a night sky full of stars and not a day time one with just the one sun.

That lead me to think about the use of the plural children rather than the singular child. We're being asked not to only celebrate that each of us is a deity/star/part of Nuit, but also that everyone else is also one of the many deity/stars and that we are surrounded by other little bits of Nuit. So now the image in my mind is more like a field of lights in the sky and on the ground, all dancing together. Quite pretty and joyful really :D

Aeon418

similia said:
First reading this line, I thought of the image of the Sun card, with naked children outside, celebrating and dancing, except in this case under a night sky full of stars and not a day time one with just the one sun.
The Sun is a star. One among many. But Atu XIX also shows the zodiac.

"The Zodiac is a kind of childish representation of the body of Nuith, a differentiation and classification, a chosen belt, one girdle of Our Lady of infinite space."
The Book of Thoth - p113

Aeon418

On the surface I see this verse as a call to freedom and liberation from the restrictions and repressions of the past. On another level it could be read as a summons to the New Aeon. To awaken to the K&C of HGA. In that sense the "children" might be HPK and RHK.

Frater Achad's essay, "Stepping Out of the Old Æon and Into the New", tries to convey a sense of this new awakening through intellectual symbols.

"take your fill of love"
Aside from the most obvious meaning it also points to "Love is the law, love under will". The fulfilment of the Will is accomplished through love - union.

Aeon418

Playing with letters & numbers

take your fill of love

Transliterating Fill into Hebrew gives VILL. Transliterate it back into English and you get Will.

VILL = 76 (Reduces to 13: AChD - Unity, AHBH - Love)
Abedh - OBD, Servant.
Elilah - ALILH, Goddess.
(Reverse 76 into 67 and you get Binah - BINH.)

It's possible to transliterate Love into Hebrew in several ways. LV, LVH, LOV, LOVH.

LV = 36. The number of squares in the magick square of Sol.
Badhal - BDL. To separate, divide. (AL 1:29 For I am divided for love's sake, for the chance of union.)
Lo - LV. Not, no. Nuit is Not.

LVH = 41. Reduces to 5 - Heh.
Em - AM, mother.

LOV = 106. Reduces to 7. Netzach - Venus.
Nun - NVN. Spelt in full 106. Normal value 50. (AL 1:24. I am Nuit, and my word is six and fifty.)

LOVH = 111. Aleph spelt in full. Aleph is Ox. (Ordeal X - K&C)
The sum of the magick square of Sol.

Abrac

Crowley's upbringing and background were fairly puritanical and restrictive. It is understandable that his reaction to this would be in the opposite direction. In his Old Comment 1.57 he wrote: "Not love under fear, as the Christians do." A blanket statement like this seems to indicate that his exposure to Christianity was somewhat limited and colored by experiences from his past.

In his New Comment for this verse, he says: "But above all, be open! What is this shame? Is Love Hideous, that men should cover him with lies? Is Love so sacred that others must not intrude?" Honesty and openess are key ingredients in Crowleyism: "The word of Sin is Restriction."- Book of the Law 1.41

I can see Crowley's point, but it seems to me that the true mark of a self-actualized human being is in knowing when to be open and when not to be.

Aeon418

Abrac said:
he wrote: "Not love under fear, as the Christians do." A blanket statement like this seems to indicate that his exposure to Christianity was somewhat limited and colored by experiences from his past.
Your selective quote butchers the passage and skews it's meaning. The full passage actually says:
Love under will -- no casual pagan love; nor love under fear, as the Christians do. But love magically directed and used as a spiritual formula.

Aeon418

Abrac said:
I can see Crowley's point, but it seems to me that the true mark of a self-actualized human being is in knowing when to be open and when not to be.
Just to be clear. What Crowley means by "love" does not necessarily mean a "roll in the hay". It's a universal principle. This has already been covered in another thread.

Pagan love - indiscriminate union with experiences.

Christian love - strict and narrow boundaries that separate lawful union from sin. The One True way for All.

Love under Will - Union with experiences in accordance with the individual Will. Self actualization.

The Hegelian dialectic. Thesis. Antithesis. Synthesis.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Just to be clear. What Crowley means by "love" does not necessarily mean a "roll in the hay". It's a universal principle. This has already been covered in another thread.

Here is the thread.