Pocket Thoth printing defect?

agviz

I just received the Pocket Thoth (blue box, Belgium, ISBN-13: 978-1-57281-294-9, ISBN-10: 1-57281-294-X). It looks great except the 8 of Swords has what seems to be some very slight black markings on the lower part of the image (which aren't on my larger Thoth). Does anyone else have this with theirs?

If this is a common misprint, I'll just hang onto it. Otherwise I'll exchange it.

Sumada

Good Lord I never noticed that! I have the same defect.
It is a multiple repeat of the black lines from the handle of the third sword from the bottom.
Can't believe I didn't spot it myself...

What I did see from day one was the crappy glazing on all the cards - tilt it to the light and there are lots of scuff marks.

agviz

Well, then at least it's not worth fretting about returning it. It's not so bad that it'll distract me.

Funny thing was, I opened the deck thinking that I'd better check out the printing quality and that was the first card I came upon. Also funny that the line pattern imparts a kind of "Interference" on the 8 of Swords.

I haven't noticed the glazing issue yet, but I might not be looking at it in the right light.

Eremita90

Yes I got the Pocket Thoth to keep it with me when I'm travelling, and after some time I noticed the same problem on the 8 of Swords: it seems that the hilts of the swords were repeated too many times and in black. I think it is a common printing error on that edition, I don't know why they don't fix it.

Le Fanu

Mine also has it! Never noticed it before!

nisaba

If this is a common misprint, I'll just hang onto it. Otherwise I'll exchange it.

:bugeyed: Wouldn't you want to keep it if it was a unique, value-adding misprint?

Zephyros

:bugeyed: Wouldn't you want to keep it if it was a unique, value-adding misprint?

I've never heard of Tarot misprints adding any value, although I could be wrong.

When I used to collect stamps, however, I shared every philatelist's dream of finding a misprint. A printing flaw on a stamp can add literally millions of dollars to its worth. A Penny Black, for example, is worth a fortune. However there is one flawed, torquise series that is priceless, again, literally.

agviz

I hadn't thought of that! Well, from the comments here it seems the misprint might not be rare.

nisaba

I've never heard of Tarot misprints adding any value, although I could be wrong.
It takes one person (me) to realise that a unique misprint makes a deck irreplaceable, and mentioning that to the community for teh community to catch on.

When I used to collect stamps, however, I shared every philatelist's dream of finding a misprint. A printing flaw on a stamp can add literally millions of dollars to its worth. A Penny Black, for example, is worth a fortune. However there is one flawed, torquise series that is priceless, again, literally.

See? In the very beginning of philately, I'm *sure* people looked on different-to-norm stamps as damaged and worthless. Right up until one collector said: Hey! It's different! It's rare! You want to throw it away? I'll pay you money for it! The Tarot community just needs to catch on, that's all.

Le Fanu

I'm hanging onto my copy of the Tarot of Sweet Twilight (first time that deck is mentioned in a Thoth thread) because the very first copies of the deck had a misprint on the box ("Tarot of Sweet Twiligth") which was quickly rectified by the publishers. I'd have got rid of the deck years ago if it hadn't been for this misprint. Because I'm looking forward to my millions.