Site: "The Mystical Significance of the Hebrew Letters"

celticnoodle

thank you, K_K for the site. I have the Quest Tarot, which uses the Kabbalah, (traditional Hebrew Letters). While I do have the book for this tarot deck, this website may be helpful for me as well. It does seem interesting. thanks again!

jmd

Not sure what you mean by the Quest tarot using 'traditional Hebrew letters' - my impression of the Quest tarot is that it is based on a combination of the Waite-Smith and Crowley-Harris deck, using the Hebrew-letter attributions suggested by the Golden Dawn.

Nothing 'traditional' about that in terms of Kabbalah, nor of the Hebrew letters - but of course 'preferred' by those who prefer to work with Golden Dawn attributions.

celticnoodle

jmd said:
Not sure what you mean by the Quest tarot using 'traditional Hebrew letters' - my impression of the Quest tarot is that it is based on a combination of the Waite-Smith and Crowley-Harris deck, using the Hebrew-letter attributions suggested by the Golden Dawn.

Nothing 'traditional' about that in terms of Kabbalah, nor of the Hebrew letters - but of course 'preferred' by those who prefer to work with Golden Dawn attributions.
The book that came with my Quest Tarot, written by Jos. E. Martin, mentions in the book this-

Jos. E. Martin said:
In the Quest Tarot I've included the traditional Hebrew letters on the Major..........
that is why I posted it as such.

jmd

I wrote perhaps in too rushed a manner last night, and may have sounded a little harsh...

Unfortunately, all too many in the past twenty or so years especially have presented the GD attributions as though they are 'traditional' - whatever this may really mean.

Within the context of Kabbalah itself, there are no tarot correlations, irrespective as to whether one prefers to use the GD-variant, or the Kabbalistic Order of the Rose Cross variant (which stems from the same period as the GD but would totally disagree with the allocations made on the Quest deck, its 'tradition' being different), or indeed the ones made by yet others.

The site linked to by kilts_knave is quite useful precisely because no such attributions between tarot and the alef-beit are suggested.

Personally, I would suggest gaining separate understanding of tarot and of kabbalah, and then questioning which (if any) attributions best 'fit'.

firecatpickles

jmd said:
Personally, I would suggest gaining separate understanding of tarot and of kabbalah, and then questioning which (if any) attributions best 'fit'.
This is exactly what my intentions for myself are. Others are free to join me :) though any Kabbalah discussion in the context of tarot & aeclectic certainly expected here.

Personally, I am on by ba'alei teshuva, a journey home; and I am more interested in Kabbalah as it relates to the study of the Torah rather than tarot.

ravenest

jmd said:

Traditional Hebrew letters (as appear on most tarot cards that show them) are very different from the modern forms of Hebrew letters (which I have never seen on a tarot card), perhaps this is what was meant and not attribution of letters to other things?

firecatpickles

Are you talking about modern script such as this:

[size=+2]שלום[/size]

compared to ancient:

[size=+2]שלום[/size]

??

ravenest

kilts_knave said:
Are you talking about modern script such as this:

[size=+2]שלום[/size]

compared to ancient:

[size=+2]שלום[/size]

??
Yes, also no vowel points.

jmd

I do not remain convinced that mere more modern letter-form is what is intended by the statement "In the Quest Tarot I've included the traditional Hebrew letters on the Major [...]". If such was the case, it is at best misleading, and at worse deceptive - though I suspect that the intent was more along the lines of "[...] included the Hebrew letters in the manner in which the GD overlays them."