Mind Body Spirit Spread - How to Interpret?

farmergiles

Did a Mind Body Spirit spread with my Gilded Tarot set today. The results were as follows:

MIND - 4 of Cups Reversed
BODY - Temperance Reversed
SPIRIT - Seven of Swords

I gather the Mind card relates to a new sense of motivation and enthusiasm. It makes sense as I'm really getting into my new job since January and my plans to continue studying my tax exams can relate as well.

The Temperance card was unexpected in a reversed condition. I've been eating more healthy and going to the gym since January and have benefited as a result. I suppose lately the odd indulgence here and there may have thrown things out of balance but not in a major way. Anything I could be missing from this?

How do you interpret a SPIRIT card? What does it mean by "Spirit"? The Seven of Swords doesn't fill me with confidence when it states relations to theivery, deception and deceit. Avoidance sounds better but how does a spirit "run away"?

nisaba

farmergiles said:
The Seven of Swords doesn't fill me with confidence when it states relations to theivery, deception and deceit. Avoidance sounds better but how does a spirit "run away"?
Perhaps it indicates that the person is being less than honest with themselves on a spiritual level, or about their spirituality in some way. Are they less spiritual than they'd like to believe? are their fundamental deep-down beliefs different to what they say they are, and what they'd even like them to be? It might be along those lines.

Sulis

Welcome to Your Readings Farmergiles :).

I have trouble with the positional meanings in the Body, Mind, Spirit spread; they confuse me so I very rarely use it.

I've nothing to add to your take on the first 2 cards

The 7 of Swords is often about gathering information or using your brain to sort things out. Seven is also quite a magical number that's about initiations or going deeper into things. Maybe the card is saying that you're looking into the spiritual side of yourself lately and that you've been exploring and learning about new spiritual things. Have you been looking into different spiritual practices or spiritualities lately? If you've just got into tarot then I'd say you probably have.

LovelyMissAries

Mind - 4 of Cups reversed - With this card here, I feel you take an "all or nothing" type of stance to life right now. You're a little hard to please but on the more positive side, are willing to wait for the right thing to come along. You won't settle.

Body - Temperance reversed - Perhaps there's a chemical imbalance in there lurking somewhere, or you still have a lot of weight you want/need/are trying to lose? Temperance reversed can mean excess as well as being impatient, perhaps you're seeing results but not as quickly or as much as you'd hoped?

Spirit - 7 of Swords - I agree with Sulis' interpretation but I'm also wondering if you're bogged down with anything. Perhaps you are skating by on something because you are overwhelmed with another project? Or perhaps you've suffered a little bit and are now more defensive and watching out for yourself?

I know this is a different take, hope I'm not completely off.

willowfox

Your mind is clear, you know what you want and you are going after it but could there be a health problem hiding under your skin I wonder?

Spirit as in fighting spirit? Then it suggests that you are far too clever to fight head on, you avoid confrontation with others but you have a very strong spirit nevertheless, a can do spirit.

farmergiles

Interesting ideas from everyone!

MIND

Yes I'm trying to stay positive despite lots of niggling annoyances that constantly fray my mind, but I would certainly say that I can't settle for just any old thing, it's got to be good.

BODY

Recently had an update on my workout routine. Spot on, I've lost weight but hoped it would be have been more, but then theres the factor of muscle and the body fat % takes ages to shift anyway. I've been tired a lot lately but that's due to lack of sleep which I would have thought would have messed up my mind more than my body! :p

SPIRIT

Tarot is basically my take on spirit, though lying to myself about it seems weird. I've always had an interest in spiritulism with regards to divination. This is definitely the more obscure card of the bunch.

Starlight : - what resource did you obtain the general meanings of the number of the cards? You stated what "7" generally referred to.

LovelyMissAries

farmergiles said:
Starlight : - what resource did you obtain the general meanings of the number of the cards? You stated what "7" generally referred to.

I didn't? I just pictured my RWS 7 of Swords card in my mind and said what came to me. I've never memorized what any of the numbers mean in Tarot, just the card meanings and then branched off that with my own take.

farmergiles

Sorry my mistake Starlight I meant Sulis! Got the names wrong!

Sulis

Hi Farmergiles,

The meanings I use for the numbers come from a few places.

James Rickleff's book 'Tarot Tells the Tale' has a good section on numbers.
Teresa Michelsen's book - The Complete Tarot Reader' also has an excellent section on the meaning of numbers.

I also link the minors to their numerically equivalent Major Arcana. So for example, all the Aces relate to The Magician, The Wheel of Fortune and The Sun, all the twos are aspects of The High Priestess etc.

There is also a list of numerology threads in the Divination forum. They can be found in the Divination index at the top of that forum: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=11533

Hope that helps :).