astrological associations

inanna_tarot

If google says it is so, then it must be so. How convenient for us to be such authorities.

LOL

yeah I've done a bit of digging around and whilst there are little hints via Levi with the whole tarot/kabbalah link, I think the astrological stuff got added on from the GD via their study of Agrippa, Etellia and Gebelin...
But Im happy to be proved wrong. :)

I find the work of the decans via the Egyptian stuff (looking at Scion's work) is really interesting and when I get reunited with my tarot decks I'll get out my Liber T and see it in a new light.

But, whilst the inculsion of astrology into tarot seems relatively late in the scheme of tarot, considering how much the GD had developed and added so many layers to tarot which are now part of its modern symbolism, use and work in the astral and collective consciousness, I can see it still highly effective in tarot work.
Just because its 'new' doesn't mean its not effective.

Zephyros

But, whilst the inculsion of astrology into tarot seems relatively late in the scheme of tarot, considering how much the GD had developed and added so many layers to tarot which are now part of its modern symbolism, use and work in the astral and collective consciousness, I can see it still highly effective in tarot work.
Just because its 'new' doesn't mean its not effective.

Highly effective, I can't imagine the cards without the astrology! With some cards, they serve to explain the idea the card conveys quite effectively, while with others they add whole new dimensions, work together with the Kabbalah and can be very, very exciting to contemplate (especially the Hermit!).

Richard

.........Just because its 'new' doesn't mean its not effective.
Absolutely! There are some self-appointed tarot 'authorities' who seem to believe the opposite. I.e., the older the method of interpretation, the better, even though one quickly gets into unknown territory with such an approach, in which case some people just improvise a method which is as unrelated to Golden Dawn as possible, although the effort required to do this obviously belies its non-dependence on the GD.

Older is not necessarily better. This is as valid with respect to tarot as it is to medical practice. There may be a few who say they would prefer surgery without anesthesia, but there will always be nut cases like that.

foolMoon

There are decks with non GD astrological association such as The Bortherhood of Light Tarot by The Church of Light LA USA. I found it has same association with more modern, the Celestial Tarot deck, and wondering about the origin of the astrological association of these decks.

Nemia

I don't know about the decks you mentioned but there are decks with non-GD correspondences - which I find very interesting.

Christine Payne-Towler uses early modern European sources for the astrology of her Tarot of the Holy Light - you need the book to understand it. (Benebell Wen's review of the deck goes into more detail, I love her reviews!)

Julia Cuccia Watts bases her decks, far as I know, on real sky astrology, i.e., she takes into account the changes since Babylonian times (which seems logical but goes against tradition).

foolMoon

I used to have the Tarot of Holy Light at one time, but traded it with something else. It was a beautiful deck, but at the time I was into GD system, and any non GD system, I did not want.

The second deck, I have never heard of it, but will have a look.

Now I am more open about the system, and willing to study and use whatever works for me.

But the Church of Light tarot deck is quite interesting. The Emperor is associated with Scorpio, and High Priestess with Virgo. I was under impression it is based on pre GD system of some sort either from Levi or Papus, but I am not certain.

In recent readings with this deck in Horoscopic spread, it gave very accurate readings, so I was impressed with it. I have ordered the study book called "Sacred Tarot" by C. C. Zain.

I am also interested to know who actually made association between Tarot and Astrology in GD (could it be S.L. Mathers, Winscott or Blavasky?), and what is it based upon, as some associations have been subject to debate e.g. Cancer for The Chariot.

kwaw

I was just wondering where we actually get the astrological associations for the tarot from? Is it merely through the GD placing the cards around the zodiac and placing them there. So prior to the GD there wasn't any real strong association (other than the loose ideas of the Renaissance that creeps into the Minichiate and the developing history of tarot imagery over the centuries before the GD?)

Paul Christian c1870 associated tarot with the decans, not sure if he was the first to do so, but for certain it was prior to the GD - however, as with several attributions French v GD, the attributions were different -

Prior to Christian, Etteilla had made some astrological associations (albeit not with the decans, at least, none than he published)