Tarot of the masters [Vacchetta]

Rachel Nguyen

Tarot of the Master is onsale....

Llewellyn has been having a $5.00 deck sale lately.

Check their website for information. I had an old line drawing xerox of the deck and then bought the Lo Scarabeo version and am thrilled. It is a gorgeous deck. I havent' had a client choose it for a reading yet, though, so I can't comment on it as a reading deck.

I imagine it would be great.

Love,
Rachel

marie-helene

vanchetta to color, free online

Hello,
As you were wondering about coloring your own Vanchetta Tarot of the master, do you know you may found it, free, online, just print it then color it.
You have a rider-waite too. Here's the link. Hope that you'll enjoy it.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/weekly/aa082003a.htm

Best of luck to you.
Marie-Hélène.

Pipistrelle

ihcoyc said:
There may be some attempt at creating divinatory symbolism in the Minors, though it's hard to see what you could make of the sequence of Roman emperors in the suit of coins.
In reference to ihcoyc's long-ago post, I thought I would mention something that caught my attention today even though it seems to be a very tenuous link, so please forgive me for that :)
I subscribe to the Merriam-Webster word of the day emails (which I hardly ever look at!) Today the word was "solidus" and something made me read the description that followed:

"Call it a solidus, or call it a slash/diagonal/slant/virgule -- whatever you call it, you are bound to run into this useful mark with some regularity. These days, one place the mark is commonly seen is in Internet addresses, but the history of the word "solidus" takes us back to a time well before computers. The ancient Roman emperor Constantine the Great borrowed the Latin term for "solid" ("solidus") for the gold coin that was the successor to the aureus. And in Medieval Latin, "solidus" designated the shilling. Before the introduction of decimal coinage, abbreviations of the shilling ("s," "sh," or "shil") were used. Eventually, the abbreviations were replaced with the simple symbol "/," which became known as a solidus."

I don't really think there's any great significance here, but the fact that the same word was used for Roman gold coins and to describe something "solid" (which is a term often connected with the suit of coins or pentacles), just caught my attention. Well, it's something I didn't know anyway ;)

Pip

Bernice

And in Medieval Latin, "solidus" designated the shilling. Before the introduction of decimal coinage, abbreviations of the shilling ("s," "sh," or "shil") were used. Eventually, the abbreviations were replaced with the simple symbol "/," which became known as a solidus."
I'm wondering what country used the solidus as an symbol for the shilling (12 pence)? I have no recollection of it's use in England.........and I was around before decimal coinage.

Aside from that, the roman emperor link with the suits of coins now makes perfect sense for the coin images in the Vacchetta, considering the period the deck was created/produced. Another bit of gold-dust found in the archives here!

Bee :)

Cerulean

Because you all re-awakened my interest...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1398266&postcount=7

I dug out my trimmed-of-keyword borders version from Lo Scarabeo. I like the coloring and borders actually and backs...I would love this to be a mini-deck at some point without the keywords.

It's significantly different to me to also have the book quality cardboard-wraparound Il Meneghello version with the rosy red Victorian coloring and the book known as the Fortune Teller's Bible that has the beautiful Vacchetta illustrations for the tarot section. Not many historic Italian decks with semi-illustrated pips would seem so pretty and seem readable with standardized modern meanings...I don't know why, but this Victorian-age deck to me really does seem to mix what I would fancy as Tuscan folkish and cultural Italian classical heritage motifs...

It's a great deck and I'm delighted when people share and revive interest in it!

Cerulean

SolSionnach

Funny thing - I just used my LS Vacchetta for a Mel-style astrological reading this morning. By now the off-center backs don't bother me so much... and I *love* the coloring. Just divine!

Bernice

I decided to make my own meanings for the cards where the 'keyword' seems iffy. Such a lovely deck....

ihcoyc

Pipistrelle said:
I don't really think there's any great significance here, but the fact that the same word was used for Roman gold coins and to describe something "solid" (which is a term often connected with the suit of coins or pentacles), just caught my attention. Well, it's something I didn't know anyway ;)

Older coins were not all that solid, I fear. While the shilling was originally an English version of the Roman solidus, in France, the Roman solidus turned into the sou. While no longer used as a working currency, my understanding is the sou remains in use in French as a proverbial fossil word meaning a trifling or insignificant sum of money. Sou is also Canadian slang for a penny.

Bernice

...The ancient Roman emperor Constantine the Great borrowed the Latin term for "solid" ("solidus") for the gold coin that was the successor to the aureus.
Hello god, long time no-see! :)

But the emperor only 'borrowed' the term.... and presumably applied it to less-solid coinage. Ihcoyc, do you not think it apt for the vachetta Coin suit to have Roman Emperor heads on them? Could there be some other reason? (Aside from the artist/creators' fancy).

Dancing Bear

I just love this deck it is gorgeous..
Can you still get it anywhere?