uh - found a TdM deck today...have a question...

Padma

No idea if I am in the right column to ask this, but I saw Magpie asked a similar question...Mods, if this is in the wrong sub-forum, please move it! :)

Today I found an unused, complete Tarot of Marseilles, BP Grimaud, printed in France, copyright 1963, in the used goods store in my city. It is in perfect condition and the deck is complete. It looks like someone just flipped through it, it was only mildly disordered in sequence. It looks like it was never shuffled. This deck refers to Pentacles as Money, and Wands as Clubs. The backs are tiny little blue boxes with a dot in the middle, overlaying a dotted grid.

There is no box but it came with the LWB. (Which is orange and looks very retro type-faced -sans-serif and "dated" looking.)

I was just curious as to what its value might be...? Merely sentimental (intrinsic) value, perhaps? Thanks in advance!

PS I did find this thread, from 2006, about similar, but this deck's backs have no white border around them. oh and I just saw the LWB has a copyright of 1969/1973...lol!
As I only paid $3.99 for them, I guess I got a fair deal ;)

ETA oops, forgot to post the old link! http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=52693

conurelover

I wish I could find a deck for 3.99! :)

Padma

I wish I could find a deck for 3.99! :)

I must admit, it was an exciting thrill! Would've been more exciting if it was some rare old mystery deck, though! :laugh:

ETA I am still amazed at the condition of the deck - for something that is 40 years old, it looks like it just rolled off the press - quite amazing!

Abrac

I definitely prefer the older Grimaud Marseille's over the newer ones. Very sturdy stock and great colors. :)

Darkmage

The Grimaud Marseille is a lovely deck, isn't it?

I lucked out and found my red box one in an antique store for the same price. Well, it was $5, but they had a sale, and I got 20% off. So...mine came with both the box and the LWB, and still looks brand new.

Congratulations on your find! I'd find a nice bag or something to store it in. It'd be a shame not to use it.

Padma

I definitely prefer the older Grimaud Marseille's over the newer ones. Very sturdy stock and great colors. :)

I KNOW! lol! It is as thick as a proverbial brick - it's about twice the height of many of my decks - the stock is so thick, and the colours are so vivid!

The Grimaud Marseille is a lovely deck, isn't it?

I lucked out and found my red box one in an antique store for the same price. Well, it was $5, but they had a sale, and I got 20% off. So...mine came with both the box and the LWB, and still looks brand new.

Congratulations on your find! I'd find a nice bag or something to store it in. It'd be a shame not to use it.

Great find, Darkmage :) You're lucky you got the box, too! Also I see from your post that I likely paid about the correct market price for it, so thanks for letting me know... I know the Grimaud decks are common. I haven't read with a TdM since I was about 15 years old, should be interesting to revisit it! And I already have it safely tucked away in a silk bag ;)

Richard

Hello, LP, your post found the right forum! Apparently you have obtained one of the Grimauds with the "classic" card stock. I have three Grimauds in my meager collection, but nothing remotely approaching the legendary stockiness of your edition. If you are ever inclined to get rid of your crappy fat Marseille with the inexcusable non-scenic Minors, I might be able to help. })

Padma

Hello, LP, your post found the right forum! Apparently you have obtained one of the Grimauds with the "classic" card stock. I have three Grimauds in my meager collection, but nothing remotely approaching the legendary stockiness of your edition. If you are ever inclined to get rid of your crappy fat Marseille with the inexcusable non-scenic Minors, I might be able to help. })

Lol! I will try reading with it, and if it doesn't jive with me (most pip decks don't, sadly - which is why I originally got rid of mine at age 15...) then I will remember your generous offer. ;)

LRichard, what is the deck worth, monetarily, do you know...? Is it really only a $5 kind of market value? (I know, I know - a thing is only worth what we will willingly pay for it...) I am just curious on that point. Thanks! :)

Abrac

If I could just add my two cents on value. The ones from the late 60s early 70s are fairly easy to find. I haven't followed the market for them in quite a while, but I'd say $3.99 for one is a great deal any time.

There's an older version that's more rare and a little more valuable, monetarily speaking. It says "BP Grimaud Paris" on the cards without a date. They feel more "papery" than the later ones. I won one on eBay a few years ago for around $100, give or take.