Tarot de Marseille: your Top Five

Kissa

Ok, no when no but no if. Pure facts. Name in a list your FIVE (5) favourite TdM decks. Might be for reading, studying, daydreaming, storytelling, scaring the kids, whatever. Just name them.

Kissa's Top Five Tarot de Marseille:
1. Tarot de Marsella Rodes-Sanchez
2. Tarot de Marseille Fournier
3. Le Véritable Tarot de Marseille de Kris Hadar
4. Tarot de la Félicité (Pierrick Pinot)
5. Tarot Dodal (Flornoy's restauration)

I think this hasn't been done before. I would like to give the decks points according to their position in each person's Top Five and have the Ultimate Tarot de Marseille TOP FIVE in some weeks. (Position 5: 1 point, Position 4: 2 points, Position 3: 3 points, Position 2: 4 points, Position 1: 5 points... for example, might give more points to number 1 and 2, à la Eurovision sing contest "Finland: Zéro points")

Or shall we do this a Top Ten?? Open to suggestions ...

Kissa

PS: the more ppl vote, the more credible the vote would be..

Will edit this post asap to give the exact Point system (or is this name Weight Watchers' copyrightn ???) and for how long this election is running. Please, don't hesitate to PM me or post here for any suggestion at all.

Fulgour

Hi Kissa

1. Jean Dodal 1701, Dusserre
2. Convos 1999, Otto Spalinger
3. Grimaud 1930, Paul Marteau
4. Bolognais 1780, Lo Scarabeo
5. Nicolas Conver 1760, Héron

Paul

Well, I kind of have attention deficit disorder of TdM's, but here it goes...

1. Tarot de Marseille (Paul Marteau 1930 by Dusserre)
2. Tarot de Marsella (Rodes/Sanchez)
3. Jean Dodal, 1701 (Dusserre)
4. Tarot Dodal (Flornoy's Restoration) -- if only a full deck, it would catapult to number 1. :(
5. Tarot de Marseille (Fournier)

Does Tarot de Nostradamus count? It looks just like a Payen (very close, that is).

fyreflye

1. Hadar
2. Tarot de la Réa (Bocher)
3. Marteau Grimaud (France Cartes)
4. Camoin-Jodorowsky
5. 1760 Conver (Herón)

Jewel-ry

Great idea Kissa!

I can really only include the decks I have so ...

1. Jean Dodal, 1701 Dusserre (very special)
2. Conver - Thunder Bay (reads beautifully!)
3. Hadar - (my first TdM)
4. Rodes and Sanchez (my last TdM)
5. Fournier (feels like silk!)

:)

Rusty Neon

1. Conver 1760 [photoreproduction, Heron]

2. Dodal 1701 [photoreproduction, Dusserre]

3. Paul Marteau 1930 [photoreproduction, Dusserre]

4. and 5. Jodorowsky-Camoin / Rodes-Sanchez

Although these five decks are all in my top five, as they're almost like applies and oranges, making it difficult for me to rank them.

I value the historical decks (Conver and Dodal) for the tradition {after all, that is a reason for the draw of the Marseille line of decks}, while the modern restorations (Marteau, Jodo-Camoin, and Rodes-Sanchez) have the clarity of lines and colours which make them less distracting for meditation and readings. However, I could not imagine having the Jodo-Camoin or the Rodes-Sanchez without access to the Conver, as a benchmark for reference, because of changes made to the card details by the 'restorers'.

By the way, those who haven't seen the Rodes-Sanchez in person are missing a real treat. The scans on the Net don't do the deck justice. This is truly one of the most beautiful of the Marseille decks. The non-metallic gold colour background of the cards makes the people and images depicted on the cards look almost three dimensional. :) The red colour card-titles are great as well, as they make the card titles almost invisible unless one deliberately looks to read the title; thus, card-trimmers would not need to trim the border to eliminate the card-titles. :)

Jewel-ry

OMG Rusty!

Trim a Marseilles deck? :eek:

Never! Not me ... no!!!

Kissa

Rusty Neon said:
By the way, those who haven't seen the Rodes-Sanchez in person are missing a real treat. The scans on the Net don't do the deck justice. This is truly one of the most beautiful of the Marseille decks. The non-metallic gold colour background of the cards makes the people and images depicted on the cards look almost three dimensional. :) The red colour card-titles are great as well, as they make the card titles almost invisible unless one deliberately looks to read the title; thus, card-trimmers would not need to trim the border to eliminate the card-titles. :)

Rusty Neon is right, the scans don't show how beautiful this deck is. The lines are incredibly thin, it looks like porcelaine. The backgrounds are "old gold", not shiny gold coloured. And the images definitely look three-dimensional. But you show my Top Five, don't expect me to say negative things about this deck ;)

At first I disliked the backs, finding them too different from the images themselves but Daniel (Rodes) confirmed that they are sacred geometry. I hope I can understand what the backs represent once I have learned spanish or (faster way) when the LeMat editions books are available in english.

Kissa

Grigori

Could someone please point me to scans of the Rodes-Sanchez TdM. I can't seem to find any.

Paul

similia said:
Could someone please point me to scans of the Rodes-Sanchez TdM. I can't seem to find any.
I'll scan some, if I'm allowed. Will scans be ok with Mr. Sanchez and Ms. Rodes? Or, is it Ms. Sanchez and Mr. Rodes?

Kissa -- are you saying that the LeMat book is promised in English? Ooooh!
If so, well, my belly-button is puckering with excitement!

Ahem...sorry, off topic. Perhaps, there's a Rodes/Sanchez thread we fans should be posting on.