Pierre Madenié Tarot Facsimile is launched

Rasa

Yesterday I was absolutely delighted to finally have my copy of this deck in my hands for the first time!!

I ordered one way back in January, and it was lost in the mail... but Yves was kind enough to send me another copy. What great customer service; thank you!! I appreciated the friendly communication as well as the quick attention to my concern when the first deck didn't arrive.

The cards are really spectacular... The images are so sharp, and the colouring very intense and saturated.. very deep reds, blues, greens, and yellows. There is also some lighter blue that looks like shadowing or shading in some cards, creating depth. It looks very 'clean' compared to some antique decks.

It's lovely to look at the images and see crystal clear details that seem to be missing in the Conver and other later decks. One example is the Valet de Coupes clearly holding a hat in his hand, complete with a feather plume.. unlike in some other images where that object is more ambiguous. I also noticed the big teeth in the lion on strength.. it almost looks like he has dentures. The fish on the 2 of cups also have tiny little pointy teeth- pirahnas maybe? I love it!

Many of the people in the images have lovely decorative trims on their clothing, or extra frills and ruffles. They are fancier people than the average Marseille-deck citizen. They also have little heels on their shoes. That reminds me of the Swiss 1804 deck from Meneghello (the shoes and clothes are one of my favourite details about that deck).

The facial expressions are full of unique character. The Roy de Baston raises one eyebrow incredulously, the Reyne de Coupes looks at her cup with a penetrating kind of receptivity, and the driver of le Chariot is striking a pose and he wants you to know how handsome and great he is. The Hermit is skeptical, the Valet de Baston is determined, Temperance looks a little stoned, and the Reyne de Denier does not approve of your shenanigans at all.

The quality of the packaging, as others have said, is superb!
The box is sturdy (and really attractive, too!), and so are the cards. I think they would easily stand up to many years of shuffling, because the cardstock is pleasantly heavy. The finish is smooth and not too glossy. It's similar to 1804 Svizzera from Meneghello, but more matte, and a bit thicker I think.
The paper wrapper is a beautiful touch, and makes it feel really authentic.
The cards all have their images well-centred, and they are cut very uniformly and evenly, unlike some other self-produced decks I've seen.

I also appreciated the sample of the Star card from the Millenium Marseilles that was included in the box, and the personal note from Yves. My husband laughed when I picked up that Star card, because I uttered a very long "ooooooooooooooh!" because I think that has the nicest cardstock I have ever felt in my life! Wow! the texture! We throw around the word 'silky' a lot for nice cardstock, but I think that one really is super-silky.

I just wanted to share all my thoughts, because the Madenie really is a special deck. I hope that a lot of people are able to get a copy, and that it will be the first of many fantastic historic decks with these excellent production values.

Yves Le Marseillais

Few news from Marseille

Marseille Sun..... day 24th june 2012

Rasa said:
I also appreciated the sample of the Star card from the Millenium Marseilles that was included in the box, and the personal note from Yves. My husband laughed when I picked up that Star card, because I uttered a very long "ooooooooooooooh!" because I think that has the nicest cardstock I have ever felt in my life! Wow! the texture! We throw around the word 'silky' a lot for nice cardstock, but I think that one really is super-silky.
.[/QUOTE]

Hello Rasa and all Tarot of Marseilles amatores,

I am really relieved that my second attempt to send a Madenié facsimile became successful. Good news so.

Regarding your comments they are really full of sense for me because it does help all of us to better understanding of TdM Pattern.

My choices are largely recognised as per comments I solicited from buyers and encourage me to go on route for next deck: François CHOSSON ;)

I was also lucky (and stubborn ha ha !) enough as to put my hands on some new wrapper for another deck. A surprise. Another one wrapper is tracked by me for another 4th original deck. Still TdM pattern.
Wrappers are not so easy to obtain because they were mainly destroyed beeing not so well considered as cards of course.

About The Star card I added to Rasa deck, it is a promotional exemple of Wilfried Houdouin 22 Majors deck he is trading. See his website Tarot of Marseille Millenium.
But this card is a collector one Rasa because it is a prototype we both experimented on a special paper (as you noticed) 100 % natural paper with silk and smooth feeling.
His deck is not helas made with this paper because it would have cost much more.
So, keep it preciously and prevent this card from light and air as much as possible.
Like a talisman or a special occasion card let's say.
Wilf has intention later to made a very special edition of his deck drawed in his hand and possibly with this king of paper.

Well back to Madenié project now:
Sales are going correctly and I will start thinking about next facsimile within few months: 2/3 months.
I will say more at this period.

Have a nice Sunday and keep the faith in Tarot :))

With passion.

YLM

Amou

what a beautiful deck!

I have just received this beautiful deck. Amazing quality in the reproduction ,obviously a labour of love,and anyone fortunate enough to acquire this deck will I am sure be as thrilled and captivated by it as myself! I cannot wait for the other promised decks!

Patrick Booker

Just ordered a copy from the website using PayPal. I don't speak French, but used Google Translate. Looks great.

Patrick.

Sulis

Just ordered a copy from the website using PayPal. I don't speak French, but used Google Translate. Looks great.

Patrick.
Patrick there's an option to view the site in English - a button in the bottom right hand corner shaped like UK/US flag.

Patrick Booker

Thanks, Sulis.

Not bought a Marseille deck for some time. Quite excited.

Patrick

Yves Le Marseillais

Bound for Albion

Thanks, Sulis.

Not bought a Marseille deck for some time. Quite excited.

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

I just let your parcel to Post Office. Friday 13th July PM.
You should get it within 5/6 days Week End included.

I bet this deck will encourage you to go back to Marseilles Pattern ;))

I already works for next one: Another Tarot Of Marseilles Pattern deck.

Give us here your feedback upon reception of Madenié.

Salutations from Marseilles City

Yves LM

Patrick Booker

Thanks, Yves - that's great. I will certainly let you know my impressions.

Patrick

Patrick Booker

Got my Madenie today - many thanks for a beautiful creation, Yves.

My first impression is of delight - I like the feel of the deck, the sturdy cardstock, the surface of the cards. A different feel to the traditional decks I possess - it is as if the deck has leapt across time to me.

My traditional decks are a Grimaud Marseille, the Jodorowsky/Camoin, and the Flornoy Noblet and Dodal (both 78 card versions). The Noblet is the deck I have worked with most. I will make some sort of comparison, but for now, I am just giving subjective impressions. I very much look forward to the next facsimile.

Patrick

Yves Le Marseillais

Tarots and soap...

Got my Madenie today - many thanks for a beautiful creation, Yves.

My first impression is of delight - I like the feel of the deck, the sturdy cardstock, the surface of the cards. A different feel to the traditional decks I possess - it is as if the deck has leapt across time to me.

My traditional decks are a Grimaud Marseille, the Jodorowsky/Camoin, and the Flornoy Noblet and Dodal (both 78 card versions). The Noblet is the deck I have worked with most. I will make some sort of comparison, but for now, I am just giving subjective impressions. I very much look forward to the next facsimile.

Patrick

Bonjour Patrick,

Thanks for your nice comments: It confirms my choices I made during conception process.
A mat paper was important for me but with a satined finition as to reflect smoothness of original historical decks I had in hand.
At this ancient times, cards were polished and softened with some soap and smoothed with a specific tool made of a piece of round stone fitted to a piece of wood fixed to ceiling of cardmaker workshop.
After some spreads and handling, you will improve and get a better sensation with your deck. That's way it works.
If you don't have yet hand-painted decks of Jean Claude and Roxanne Flornoy and only industrial Noblet and Dodal, I highly recommands you this initial versions they made: Better sensation and very nice surfaces too.
Also improved by time.

Salutations from Marseille France Old €urope

YLM