Book of Thoth Etteilla

PathWalker

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Can anyone tell me what the item is that card 10 - Temperance) holds in her right hand in this deck? She has a cup in her left hand. It might it be a tie-on boot spur I wonder? But I'm guessing :)

Thanks
PW

Le Fanu

Isn't it a bridle? That would tie in with restraint / self-restraint?

PathWalker

Could be - I'm not enough up on horse-y stuff to know. Thank you :)

dancing_moon

Isn't it a bridle? That would tie in with restraint / self-restraint?

I think so too. Of course, it isn't very realistic, but then, like you said, it's just a symbol. :)

PathWalker

Thank you :)

gregory

WELL, yes, it's a bridle.

But you all got me going. I have been trawling through my books - and this card (as I'm sure you all knew, don't think I think I'm so clever !!!) is one from Etteilla III. And in A Wicked Pack of Cards, it is pointed out that that no 10 card in EIII represents Prudence from the virtues. And in Etteilla 2, she is shown with an elephant and - a bridle.

http://etteillastrumps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/cards-9-12.html

Here the Etteilla II is quite different from the Etteilla I. Instead of the Marseille-inspired image of an angel pouring liquid from one jar to another, we have her holding up a bridle in front of an elephant. The Etteila III removes the elephant but retains the bridle.

PathWalker

Oh, great link, thank you :)

gregory

Actually it's all a bit odd; given that Prudence shows up elsewhere too, at 12. I need to get back to those books :) Either I misread something or one of my books disagrees with another.

dancing_moon

And in A Wicked Pack of Cards, it is pointed out that that no 10 card in EIII represents Prudence from the virtues.

This is strange. :confused: The title on the Etteilla III, as well as the other Etteillas, says 'Temperance', right?

From Gregory's link:
10Eall.jpgg