Six Pointed Stars or Two Triangles...

TemperanceAngel

jmd, this seem like it is in the wrong Forum, but for some unexplainable reason it seems I should post here. Well not unexplainable, shall I say a more esoteric reason. If you feel that this should be posted elsewhere then please feel free to do so.

I am very interested in the six pointed star and what is meanings are to the Kabbalah. I know so little about the Kabbalah I won't pretend otherwise.

I understand it is known as the Star of David.

Also two triangles: fire and water. Symbolic of the male and female intertwined.

Any information greatfully received :)

Ravenswing

from six to twelve...

There's another interesting figure made of triangles-- a "stellated" dodecagon. You might see this in astrology books as an interlacing of the four triads of the elements.

There are four triangles.

One points to the left. I color it yellow and consider it the male triangle.

One points to the right. I color it cerulean blue and condider it the female triangle.

The two, when balanced (a Temperance sort of thing), combine to form the upward pointing triangle. This is the triangle of Man. It is green, a blend of male and female.

Once the triangle of Man has been established, the downward pointing triangle of God can manifest. I color it red.

Consider also the elenents and the tree of life....

fly well
Raven

jmd

For some reason, I didn't see this thread when it was first posted...

I nearly mistakenly read Ravenswing's mention of the stellated dodecagon for the stellated dodecahedron - and in light of Fulgour's recent mention of Tycho de Brahe (which instantly calls to mind also Kepler), it is, I suppose, understandable. For the record, the stellated dodecahedron is a three dimensional figure made from inter-linked pentagrammes.

The stellated dodecagon is the way in which 'standard' astrological charts which seek to demonstrate the zodiacal elemental triplicities depict it: the three Earth signs connected by an Earth equilateral triangle, the three Water signs likewise, and so on for the signs of Air and of Fire.

In terms of TemperanceAngel's original question, the link which Fulgour gives is one of the best I have seen... for numerous reasons.

In terms of Kabbalah per se, there are some who would say that the hexagramme itself is not directly there to be placed or understood - though it is an incredible mathematically precise symbol from which the five platonic solids can be represented in two-dimentional form (I'll show you what I mean at a Tarot Café, if you like).

Others place the same as part of the structure of the Tree of Life - and in that sense connect it to the Kabbalah.

Numerically, sometimes numbers are placed around its points (clockwise from the top: (1), 2, 3, 4, 9, 8), giving an odd and an even numbered triangle in their traditional gender allocated value, with the total, 26 (+1 in brackets and thus not added), in the centre, being also the value of the letters of the Tetragrammaton (IHVH).

The hexagramme is also one of the simplest of symbols to depict the hermetic maxim: as above, so below, and as below, so above, as well as a symbolic representation of the alchemical union between male and female, between King and Queen.

kwaw

jmd said:
Numerically, sometimes numbers are placed around its points (clockwise from the top: (1), 2, 3, 4, 9, 8), giving an odd and an even numbered triangle in their traditional gender allocated value, with the total, 26 (+1 in brackets and thus not added), in the centre, being also the value of the letters of the Tetragrammaton (IHVH).

Some also number its wings according to the chaldean order 3-9 in 'lightening' flash pattern after the planetary/sefirah attributions; so that each number in opposite wings = 12. The number in the wings then totals 36 and the solar/tifareth number 6 [square root of 36] is in the centre.

One hexagram numbered one to six, with opposite wings adding to 7 [like the opposite sides of a dice], gives you a total number of 21.

Two hexagrams joined at two wings and the wings numbered 1-10 gives you a top hexagram the sum of whose wings = 21 [IAO - God], the bottom hexagram = 45 [ADaM-Man]. This relfects, as per JMD's example the principle 'as above, so below'.
Kwaw

Jewel-ry

TA,

Since discovering this

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25464&highlight=hadar

I have found myself inextricably drawn to the number 6 and somehow always see it as a hexagon and two triangles, with male and female intertwined. People talk about special numbered cards but I see the 6 as very important in the grand scheme of things. My understanding of Kabbalah is still very scanty but I am interested in this thread and will be following it with interest.

:)

TemperanceAngel

I feel like this is something you could just swim into forever, going deeper and deeper....

Thinking about this thread and having just turned 33=6 or two triangles?

Parzival

Six Pointed Star

Matter is never without spirit , spirit is never without matter---the Self is at their center.

smleite

Six Pointed Star

Matter is Spirit, and Spirit is Matter. The Self is the shadow-thin line that keeps them both together and apart. Their mystery is hidden in L’Amoureux, VI.

Silvia

kwaw

Jewel-ry said:

I have found myself inextricably drawn to the number 6 and somehow always see it as a hexagon and two triangles,

Draw a hexagram inside a hexagon. View it as a 3d object, an 8 faceted diamond. It has six vertex, which with the centre correspond to the seven directions and the seven planetary letters. It has 12 edges, and these correspond to the 12 direction subset and zodiac letters. It can be split into two pyramids joined at their bases along three different planes. The four edges of one plane correspond to the cardinal signs Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn; the edges of the second plane correspond to the four fixed signs Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius; the edges of the third plane correspond to the four mutable signs Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces. These three planes correspond to the three mother letters. It represents geometrically the word by which the cosmos was created, the divine Name YHVH [having 12 edges, 6 vertex and 8 faces, and 12 + 8 + 6 = 26 =YHVH]. Traditionally the 'cube of space' is used for the directional directional model [and a cube of course is also related to YHVH, having 12 edges, 6 faces and 8 vertex], but I have a preference for the hexagon, hexagram 'diamond' shaped model above.

Kwaw