Jewish Tarot

firemaiden

Wow!! What an interesting website! What an interesting guy! I hope he comes here to talk to us. The cards are beautiful, and I love the articles he has written. Lots of fascinating material there.

I see he did the deck as part of a thesis for an academic degree, and that it is on exhibit in a cave in Israel. It would be soo cool to visit that exhibit.

I'm particularly interested in what he has to say about the world card, being associated with beauty and ugliness, just what I've been pondering recently.

(such synchronicity! hee hee. thank you for this link)

Macavity

Very impressive! I think it reminds me a bit of the Hermetic Tarot. One of the problems I have with Hermetica is the juxtaposition of imagery from such diverse religious tradition, simply 'cos it would not have appeared all together in a historic sense? The Hebrew text is intriguing - I could spend hours! No, I have learned the alphabet, so can now make out e.g. "Angel names" LAPR (sic) etc. unaided... ;)

Aside: I often wonder - how well can a modern Hebrew speaker do with translating ancient texts? Presumably some of it is "inbuilt" in the orthodox religious education...

I think there is a lot of scope for other semitic cultural (and alphabet!) based decks. Now, if only someone would produce a real "Ancient Egyptian" Book of Thoth, including meaningful hieroglyphs? :D

Macavity

Phoenyx*

Do you think people would actually be interested in something like that Macavity? It seems like it would be a huge amount of work for such a small audience.

firemaiden

WOW this guy and I are on the same wave-length, check out his Mandrake spread.

Also his article on the world card shows me the relationship between X -wheel and XXI-world

Astraea

What a fine way to present original precepts! From the standpoints of scholarship, design, artwork and originality, I applaud this young man and hope that he receives encouragement to publish.

Tarotmyst

That really is a great deck. The only problem i have with it is that so much black and white makes me feel a bit sick and it is hard to pick out individual details.

I think it would definitely make a great deck and book set but i would prefer some colour (and dare i say it...some English or even French titles).

rota

What a completely stunning deck. I hope it's published one day, when the Minors are complete. I second the call for color, too.

Jewel-ry

There definately looks to be some interesting reading here. I have added it to my favourites for reading later.

I like the deck but agree with Tarotmyst about the black/white issue. Did you see the other deck he did? The Jacobowitz-Esoteric Tarot? I like that one too .. To create that in less than a week was quite amazing.

J :)

Osher

What a beautiful deck! Oh, if it was published, I would be the first (or fighting for first with Firemaiden?) to buy it.

BTW An Israeli, who speaks modern Hebrew, would understand biblical Hebrew too.