Why is the Thoth deck so popular?

Gwynydd

Argh! I've been drawn to thoth and resisted and resisted, but it looks like this thread is making me need it :D

Thoughtful

Gwynydd l feel your pain :laugh:

That's exactly how it was for me, in the end l bought it, looked at it, and put it on the shelf. l thought no way can l work with this deck, though l was highly attracted to the artwork. l bought other decks in the meantime but l always felt Thoth calling me.
Gradually l became disenchanted with some of my decks and either sold or passed them on. Still the Thoth called.
In the end l gave in put other decks away and put heart and soul into studying the Thoth. l had a break through and now l cannot imagine ever not using it.

l think l had to go through my tarot buying stage until the time was right for Thoth.

Love to know what you decide :)

Thoughtful

Definitely. After a while I work again with other decks - mostly with Vampyres (which is influenced by Thoth, of course). But when I use it, I must have Thoth near too. Few times I used both. When I read for clients, only with Thoth, except my best friend - she can get other decks too.

I'm really happy that I came to the point where I have this "one" deck as the core.

Me to seedcake the Thoth is my number one tarot deck now. l do still have the Roots of Asia for my own use, but the Thoth is the one and only for reading for others.

smw

Couldn't wait to reach out for my Thoth again, there's an understanding between us l cannot put in to words. The cards speak a language that
even without all the esoteric knowledge in place, speak to me individually, somehow they touch my soul.

That is beautiful and inspiring :)

smw

Couldn't wait to reach out for my Thoth again, there's an understanding between us l cannot put in to words. The cards speak a language that
even without all the esoteric knowledge in place, speak to me individually, somehow they touch my soul.

That is beautiful and inspiring :)

Thoughtful

Thank you smw :)

How are you getting on with your Thoth?

SirGawain

Not discussed in this thread so I thought I would bring it up.

Before I bought my first Thoth deck I was perusing a metaphysical bookstore that had a huge glassed-topped counter, maybe 10, 12 feet long. Hundreds of tarot decks were laid out all nice and neat under the glass counter. I was interested in books and was quickly walking past the tarot decks when I felt a very large pull of energy (or push of energy). It startled me, it was that powerful. I looked towards the source and it was Thoth Tarot deck sitting in the glass case.

There is more to heaven and earth Heratio than is dreamt of in your philosophies. --Hamlet

CharlotteK

Not sure how it's going to go...

I have just bought a Thoth deck, and the DuQuette book, which I'm reading at the moment and am finding fascinating. But I've only been learning and reading tarot for about a year, mostly RWS decks, and so I really don't want to give up my other decks as still feel I have a lot to learn (plus I like them). Will Thoth really take over and will I want and need to shun my other decks to be able to use it? It intrigues me but it scares me a bit too. I'm not really ready for it to take over. Perhaps I'll put it on the shelf for a bit?

smw

I have just bought a Thoth deck, and the DuQuette book, which I'm reading at the moment and am finding fascinating. But I've only been learning and reading tarot for about a year, mostly RWS decks, and so I really don't want to give up my other decks as still feel I have a lot to learn (plus I like them). Will Thoth really take over and will I want and need to shun my other decks to be able to use it? It intrigues me but it scares me a bit too. I'm not really ready for it to take over. Perhaps I'll put it on the shelf for a bit?

Hi Charlotte

I'm pretty new to tarot too, a year or so. I found Duquette really helpful in getting started with the Thoth and yes, it definitely fascinating stuff. Enjoy your learning and reading with the Thoth, no need IMO to consider shunning other decks that you enjoy working with.
I'm not sure about a deck taking over, perhaps it depends on your own characteristics. I know I can be intense at times so focusing on one deck so far suits me.

Zephyros

While it is true that for many people using the Thoth causes them to use it as their main, and in some cases only, deck but it doesn't do this suddenly or magically. Over the course of my studies and work with the deck I found that its complexity and overall vision were a good deal more "adult," mature and developed than any other of my decks and so in time I grew to naturally prefer it. It didn't do it to me, I did it to myself.

If you like something, and over the course of time you grow to like something else, you don't mourn what you don't like anymore, you just move on. That's why we have favorite songs of the moment, but we know that next week someone will have a new hit single which will be the greatest song ever, and the week after that another.

So I don't think you shouldn't use it out of fear that it will replace your other decks on its own.