Using astrology along with tarot cards

Division10

Now that I'm getting back into reading tarot I really want to become a better reader. I was advised to use Astrology along side using tarot that it would help with my interpretations. Just wondering how many others use this technique and how does it work for you ?

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Division10!

First off, there are no absolutes in tarot. What works for one may not work for another.

Astrology can be used for timing purposes following any of the 4 major astrological associations listed in Astrological Attributions of All Cards.

If one's astrological chart is known, those same tables can be used to associate the planetary positions with tarot cards. Barleywine started a thread called An Astrological Quintessence by Decan on that subject.

When studying a deck, you can use the astrological associations to find the connections between apparently disparate cards. I've done that with both the Ancient Egyptian Tarot deck. (Click the link to be taken to the Study Group for that deck.) I believe I also did it with the Mythic, but I guess I never got around to posting it.

There is a book by Muriel Hausbrouck called Tarot and Astrology that goes into some depth on the Minor cards 2-10 and their astrological associations. I have two versions of the book, but it looks like I've only put one version in the Tarot Books & Media index:

Tarot and Astrology

Hasbrouck, Muriel Bruce
Destiny Books, 1996
0-89281-121-8

That should give you more than enough options to investigate to see if you want to incorporate astrology with tarot.

Rodney

ravenest

Now that I'm getting back into reading tarot I really want to become a better reader. I was advised to use Astrology along side using tarot that it would help with my interpretations. Just wondering how many others use this technique and how does it work for you ?

Using astrology alongside tarot is NOT the same as astrological attributions to tarot .

When I have used astrology 'along side ' tarot I used the reading AND the persons natal astrology to get 2 different insights into their make up.

rwcarter

Using astrology alongside tarot is NOT the same as astrological attributions to tarot .

When I have used astrology 'along side ' tarot I used the reading AND the persons natal astrology to get 2 different insights into their make up.
Not being versed in astrology, that never would've occurred to me.

Sharla

I combine astrology with tarot sometimes. And i find it works very well...the only thing is you need to know about the signs attributes and the planets attributes before hand before trying this or it can get VERY confusing.

I say sometimes because sometimes tarot can be talking to you in a different way....its you that needs to know intuitively which way they are talking to you.

For example i did myself a spread for the recent fullmoon, for what i need to let go of and some cards spoke to me astrologically, but one card intuitively stood out picturesque....it was the temperance. Anyway the card was saying i need to drink less alcohol. I was laughing at it when i clicked on to what it was saying.

I did listen though and now only have a little drink at the weekend, and not a couple of nights in the week too.

Sometimes in a reading i get a mixed bag of astrological, pictures and tarot meanings.....and intuition.

I did a reading for someone on here and 2 of the cards had a girl with ginger hair, i said in the reading if she had ginger hair and she confirmed she did....the rest of the reading i used astrology associations. So thats where the pictures and intuition also kicked in.

Another example the knight cups was always a lovely card for me to get in love readings....since getting into astrology, this is the worst card to get. as its associated with neptune, neptune is about only seeing things you want to see or wearing rose tinted glasses and confusion and delusions etc.

And for conformation i did a CC last year on a recent guy ive ended things with and the outcome was the knight cups, which was me having my rose tinted glasses on throughout....as i thought he'd leave his wife for me, but no he never did, and its now ended......Thankfully to Venus rx. So the knight cups was not a nice outcome.....it was just telling me things were not going to end up as i thought and hoped they would.

Best thing to do is to start learning the meanings of the signs and planets and then you can take it from there.

Oh! also actually you need to learn about the aspects too, as if your going to be mixing astrology with tarot then you need to know how the cards next to eachother relate to eachother....for example if you get:

2 wands, 6 wands, this would be a conjunction....if the 3rd cards a 6 swords then 6 wands and 6 swords would be a sextile. <yes confusing i know> that's why you need to start with the basics in this.

Division10

Welcome to Aeclectic, Division10!

First off, there are no absolutes in tarot. What works for one may not work for another.

Astrology can be used for timing purposes following any of the 4 major astrological associations listed in Astrological Attributions of All Cards.

If one's astrological chart is known, those same tables can be used to associate the planetary positions with tarot cards. Barleywine started a thread called An Astrological Quintessence by Decan on that subject.

When studying a deck, you can use the astrological associations to find the connections between apparently disparate cards. I've done that with both the Ancient Egyptian Tarot deck. (Click the link to be taken to the Study Group for that deck.) I believe I also did it with the Mythic, but I guess I never got around to posting it.

There is a book by Muriel Hausbrouck called Tarot and Astrology that goes into some depth on the Minor cards 2-10 and their astrological associations. I have two versions of the book, but it looks like I've only put one version in the Tarot Books & Media index:

Tarot and Astrology

Hasbrouck, Muriel Bruce
Destiny Books, 1996
0-89281-121-8

That should give you more than enough options to investigate to see if you want to incorporate astrology with tarot.

Rodney

Thank you so much Rodney for these resources. I understand I may not like this method but I must try and see. I actually know someone who uses this method and it's been quite accurate.

Division10

I combine astrology with tarot sometimes. And i find it works very well...the only thing is you need to know about the signs attributes and the planets attributes before hand before trying this or it can get VERY confusing.

I say sometimes because sometimes tarot can be talking to you in a different way....its you that needs to know intuitively which way they are talking to you.

For example i did myself a spread for the recent fullmoon, for what i need to let go of and some cards spoke to me astrologically, but one card intuitively stood out picturesque....it was the temperance. Anyway the card was saying i need to drink less alcohol. I was laughing at it when i clicked on to what it was saying.

I did listen though and now only have a little drink at the weekend, and not a couple of nights in the week too.

Sometimes in a reading i get a mixed bag of astrological, pictures and tarot meanings.....and intuition.

I did a reading for someone on here and 2 of the cards had a girl with ginger hair, i said in the reading if she had ginger hair and she confirmed she did....the rest of the reading i used astrology associations. So thats where the pictures and intuition also kicked in.

Another example the knight cups was always a lovely card for me to get in love readings....since getting into astrology, this is the worst card to get. as its associated with neptune, neptune is about only seeing things you want to see or wearing rose tinted glasses and confusion and delusions etc.

And for conformation i did a CC last year on a recent guy ive ended things with and the outcome was the knight cups, which was me having my rose tinted glasses on throughout....as i thought he'd leave his wife for me, but no he never did, and its now ended......Thankfully to Venus rx. So the knight cups was not a nice outcome.....it was just telling me things were not going to end up as i thought and hoped they would.

Best thing to do is to start learning the meanings of the signs and planets and then you can take it from there.

Oh! also actually you need to learn about the aspects too, as if your going to be mixing astrology with tarot then you need to know how the cards next to eachother relate to eachother....for example if you get:

2 wands, 6 wands, this would be a conjunction....if the 3rd cards a 6 swords then 6 wands and 6 swords would be a sextile. <yes confusing i know> that's why you need to start with the basics in this.

Thank you Sharla for your response. Astrology is confusing for me period that's why I wanted others in put. So now I know I need to began studying the signs and planets first I will do so. The whole aspect thing just through me off lol. I definitely am going to start out with one card readings just to get my feet wet. When I move on to aspects I will be sure to contact you for help. Thank you once again .

Division10

Sorry if I used the phase to describe what I meant. I was talking about using the astrological association of the cards when reading.

ravenest

Not being versed in astrology, that never would've occurred to me.

But I bet you bring 'other fields' into play when doing a reading ? Observations about the person, their habits, mannerisms , 'energy', ' demeanour' 'type' , etc . A combination of your skill sets ? And combine these with what you get from the reading ?

Oh .... yeah .... lots a peeps do readings NOT face to face anymore .... I forgot about that .

ravenest

Sorry if I used the phase to describe what I meant. I was talking about using the astrological association of the cards when reading.

I do that too, and I found it works very well, one more 'field' or 'way of looking at things' to aid comprehension (I am a 'multi-view' type of person ) .