packed 8th house

Minderwiz

Glad to help :)

Minderwiz

Keslynn

AquarianGoddess said:
Keslynn,

An hour's span is a lot in astrology considering that each four minutes of time changes the ascendant by one degree. You may discover that some or all of those planets are either in the 9th or 7th houses....of course you won't know for sure until you get the exact time of birth...and we'd like to know too!

AG

I am working on getting a definite time of birth and will be sure to let you know when I do! :) I did test how the house placements ended up on either side of that hour, and it was roughly the same. I don't know if being born in the north (Alaska) would make things change faster or slower. I wouldn't mind some 7th house lovin though. ;)

:) Kes

Minderwiz

Being born in the North could have a considerable affect depending on which House system is used. Many systems which use the MC as the tenth House cusp, such as Placidus or Koch or Campanus, produce increasingly unequal houses the farther north the birth and break down entirely at or near the Artic circle (read South and Antartic for Southern hemisphere births).

Of course using the Equal House system can get round this breakdown but in Northern (or Southern) births a swap from Placidus to Equal House or vice versa can have a significant effect on planetary House placements.

Combined with AG's point about the exact time of birth you might find you have a significant increase in seventh House lovin' or ninth House education and travel!

Regards

Minderwiz

Keslynn

I think I read something about northern latitudes in the recent Mountain Astrologer article about the house debate. However, I was still left unclear as to which house system works best for northern latitudes? Or maybe none of them do... Any suggestions?

:) Kes

Tor

I live in Norway and have customers from north to south. Therefore I can't use Placidus all the time.

If they live too far north, I use equal houses - which have worked very good. I've had good response on these horoscopes.

Minderwiz

Yes, I agree with Balder, I would use the equal house system to be safe. Sometimes Koch, or Campanus or one of the less used (at least for natal work) such as Regiomontanus or Topocentric may work further north than Placidus but most of them break down eventually - at the North Pole it is possible to have the same sign both rising and at the MC, so Houses systems that use the Ascendant as the Cusp of the first and the MC as the cusp of the tenth just won't work.

Equal Houses work under all conditions as long as an Ascendant can be established. What's more it is much simpler to cope with under such conditions and recent work by Project Hindsight tends to show that the Equal House system has a respectable pedigree and is not simply a device for Astrological novices.

I tend to use Placidus houses for most of my work - I 'feel' that the MC should be the tenth House cusp - when it breaks down I use Equal Houses or occasionally, if it works, Koch Houses.

Minderwiz

AquarianGoddess

I too use Placidus 99% of the time, but Meridian works well for northern latitudes. I just don't care for the Equal house system.

AG