Of these two Celtic Cross spreads..

Grymdycche

Which is your preferred?

I first realized the discrepancy when comparing Joan Bunnings Learn Tarot against A.E. Waite's Pictorial Key to Tarot, where 4 and 6 are those issues which you're leaving behind (resolved) and those issues which you're coming into (needing resolution).

In Bunning's version, the flow of time is left to right, where 4 is past, and 6 is near future, but Waite has them reversed, right to left: 4 is future, and 6 is past. (Plus the order the cards are laid out is slightly different too so the "numbers" won' t quite match, but that's neither here nor there- the positions mirror each other well enough).
I kinda find Waite's version odd, but wondered what the general consensus was. (I know, I shouldn't worry about it, but I'm curious)

Layout:
Code:
    5         9
4  1(2) 6     8
    3         7

Astraea Aurora

Hi Grymdycche,

I've tried many different approaches to the CC, copied from books and websites and friends but over time and various trials and errors I've found A. E. Waite's version to be the most suitable for me. Both the order in which the cards are laid out and the positional meanings give me the best results and I've come to like the slightly odd positions in the cross (cards 1 to 6) although I'm usually really picky that the spread flows unhindered from the left (past) to the right (future).

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Gazel

I use neither of them, but this model:
Code:
5  1(2)  6   

1. ”This covers you”
2. ”This crosses you”
3. ”This crowns you”
4. ”This grounds you”
5. ”This lies behind you”
6. ”This lies before you"

ETA: But off course this means that I also find Waite's flow a bit odd, since mine is from 5 to 6 (left to right) as Bunnings.
ETA: I guess I found this, or the inspiration to use it this way, in the Keeper of Words book, and that is the model I've use ever since (2 or 3 years)

Sulis

There are loads and loads of versions of the Celtic Cross. I think that experienced readers even adapt the spread to the question they're asking or even adapt the Celtic Cross so it makes more sense to them.

I use a couple of versions but my favourite is an adaptation that puts an advice slant on things (I like advice readings, I find them useful).
Here it is:

1. and 2 - The situation / block
3. The basis of the problem
4. What to aim for, what to focus on
5. What to leave behind - what not to do
6. Advice for the near future
7. The querant in this situation
8. Energies surrounding the situation / others
9. Something to consider / the gate / more advice
10. Probable outcome

Lleminawc

Grymdycche said:
I kinda find Waite's version odd
Given that Waite originated this spread, or at least was the first to publish "an ancient Celtic method of divination", it seems odd to call it "odd".