Corrine Kenner's Christmas Tarot

missy

Sheri said:
As a do it yourself "craft" idea, I think it's great, but I don't get what it was that Corrine Kenner actually did that any person here couldn't do. She's taken already existing free images, added titles and then claimed them as her own... Then charges people for a deck that everyone has to actually make themselves.

Gee. :confused:

First, in my opinion, she made the deck. If I bought it, I would not be making it. I would be printing it, which is something else entirely. I don't have a color printer, so I would have to go to the very small inconvenience of having it printed at a photo shop. Doesn't seem very inconvenient to me.

She is charging $2.09. Two dollars! That is all. Time is money. It is one of the first rules of business. It would take me a lot more time to make such a deck myself. (She "made" the deck on her computer, in my opinion, by finding the images, sizing the images, adding the titles, etc.) Plus, she wrote a 45-page book, which involved researching the original images, writing, editing, etc. And if I had made such a deck myself, it might occur to me to charge a very small fee for it. Not to mention the time and trouble she took to create the website for the deck! Just some of the pages I see:

Introduction
Card Images
Video
Guidebook
Purchase and Download Instructions
Copyright and License Information
Printing Tips
Meet the Deck Designers
Contact
Acknowlegments
Bonus Cards
Reviews

I think that is worth the small sum of $2.09. Or even the regular price of $9.99.

If someone else wants to go to all the time and trouble to create such a deck, and then wants to share it free for everyone on AT, they certainly have the right to do so.

Sheri

missy said:
Gee. :confused:

First, in my opinion, she made the deck. If I bought it, I would not be making it. I would be printing it, which is something else entirely. I don't have a color printer, so I would have to go to the very small inconvenience of having it printed at a photo shop. Doesn't seem very inconvenient to me.

She is charging $2.09. Two dollars! That is all. Time is money. It is one of the first rules of business. It would take me a lot more time to make such a deck myself. (She "made" the deck on her computer, in my opinion, by finding the images, sizing the images, adding the titles, etc.) Plus, she wrote a 45-page book, which involved researching the original images, writing, editing, etc. And if I had made such a deck myself, it might occur to me to charge a very small fee for it. Not to mention the time and trouble she took to create the website for the deck! Just some of the pages I see:

Introduction
Card Images
Video
Guidebook
Purchase and Download Instructions
Copyright and License Information
Printing Tips
Meet the Deck Designers
Contact
Acknowlegments
Bonus Cards
Reviews

I think that is worth the small sum of $2.09. Or even the regular price of $9.99.

If someone else wants to go to all the time and trouble to create such a deck, and then wants to share it free for everyone on AT, they certainly have the right to do so.

First off, I said I was not dissing anyone who wanted to buy this deck. I am just saying that I don't see that anything here is any stretch for anyone here to do. Regarding "making" versus "printing," she added titles, borders and sized a collection of pre-existing digital images not a deck. It doesn't become a "deck" until you print it out by whatever means you have available. YOU are manufacturing the deck using those images.

What I find REALLY interesting is that there is a Victorian Christmas Tarot here:

http://www.enchantedoak.com/tarotstore/christmastarot78.html

My point is that the images are the same, just different titles. These images are ubiquitous... everywhere and easily found.

I just made an observation in that I am not seeing anything here that anyone here couldn't do themselves (it's not like she hand drew or otherwise created the images like Chronata or Ciro or others have).

I'm just saying that if anyone wants to make their own deck, they might as well get the original collection of images themselves and put their own titles on the cards... seems like it would be the same amount of work.

I am NOT saying that anyone who wants it shouldn't buy her deck or that it isn't worth what she's charging for it. If anyone wants to buy it, they should! I'm just not as excited about it as it is something I could pretty easily do myself.

:love: Sheri

cSpaceDiva

The enchanted oak Christmas Tarot is gorgeous. Unfortunately, $800 for a deck is not in my budget, but $2 definitely is. For Corrine's deck, we are paying less than $.10 per card, it's hard to see how you can beat that, if you are interested in a deck like this. True, I will have to add a little to the cost for ink and paper even to print them at home, but that will go unnoticed for me. I do not collect or buy Vintage postcards regularly, but I have looked at them from time to time. For the most part, they seem to run anywhere from $1 to $10 or $15, I'm sure there are many that sell from much more. Considering the other deck consists of 78 wooden cards and a wooden box to store them, charging just over $10/card is not at all unreasonable, but unfortunately for me, impractical.

iceclone

That one is beautiful too... but $800? Yikes... it is impractical.

Sheri

You can get the images used in both Christmas Tarots and much more on CDs... there is one on eBay right now for $7.99/1000 copyright free images.

Just something to keep in mind if anyone wanted to make their own deck and do more cards than the Majors... or want to use the images on other things.

The $800 dude is really making a profit :D

missy

Sheri said:
I'm just saying that if anyone wants to make their own deck, they might as well get the original collection of images themselves and put their own titles on the cards... seems like it would be the same amount of work.

I don't see it as the same amount of work, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I am not going to sit at my computer, size images, add card titles, etc. Just isn't going to happen! :D Especially if someone else has already done it for me.

cSpaceDiva

Sheri said:
You can get the images used in both Christmas Tarots and much more on CDs... there is one on eBay right now for $7.99/1000 copyright free images.

But then you are right back to it being a craft project where you have to actually "make" the cards (after sorting through 1000 images). Not that there's anything wrong with that. Some of us find the effort of selecting and sizing the images, adding borders and titles, and creating a guidebook to be more than worth the price of admission. Some don't, and nothing wrong with that either.

Sheri said:
Just something to keep in mind if anyone wanted to make their own deck and do more cards than the Majors... or want to use the images on other things.

I actually really like this idea...but being the busy holiday season...and I'm having a baby in 2 months...that isn't practical for me at the moment either. I'll have to put this on my 'someday' list. ;)

Bernice

Originally Posted by Sheri

missy said:
I don't see it as the same amount of work, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I am not going to sit at my computer, size images, add card titles, etc. Just isn't going to happen! :D Especially if someone else has already done it for me.
I agree that it's the quick & easy solution to download (and pay for) pictures that someone else has copied and added titles to. But I think I'd have chosen different images to represent the trump cards - there's loads to choose from, all free to download, plus I would prefer my own titles for the cards - maybe french like the marseille decks.....

Bee :)

tarotmama

I would have liked to see more collage elements in this deck. It would have impressed me more. I have a huge collection of postcard scans myself. Primarily Valentine and Halloween cards though... hmmm... }) but if I were going to make a tarot out of them, I'd have to change the artwork somehow or do some collage, otherwise it'd feel like cheating.

Sheri

tarotmama said:
I would have liked to see more collage elements in this deck. It would have impressed me more. I have a huge collection of postcard scans myself. Primarily Valentine and Halloween cards though... hmmm... }) but if I were going to make a tarot out of them, I'd have to change the artwork somehow or do some collage, otherwise it'd feel like cheating.

I agree with you! I think that is why when there is a collaborative deck done here on AT, no one is allowed to use an image "as found."