the Ludy Lescott Tarot - one to look out for

Le Fanu

I agree with rodney. And the deck needs something to lure me on to actually care who this person is. I wonder why I would spend hours of my life deciphering something that means nothing to me? I think it's great that a deck has a riddle etc but at least fascinate me. Or something.

It feels like a comic strip cut up into 78 pieces. I adore LoS decks and always buy them but this one feels so random. Maybe one day I'll come back to it. I'm glad they keep tantalising us with their decks, but - for the moment - this one doesn't quite grab me.

rwcarter

How are most people pronouncing Ludy? Does it rhyme with Judy or with muddy? Until I got it, I was pronouncing it as if it rhymes with muddy. But when I pronounced it as as if it rhymed with Judy to a friend, she broke out laughing, hearing it as Lewd-y. And considering all the barely contained (and uncontained!) breasts in the deck, Lewd-y seems rather appropriate.

Rodney

gregory

How are most people pronouncing Ludy? Does it rhyme with Judy or with muddy? Until I got it, I was pronouncing it as if it rhymes with muddy. But when I pronounced it as as if it rhymed with Judy to a friend, she broke out laughing, hearing it as Lewd-y. And considering all the barely contained (and uncontained!) breasts in the deck, Lewd-y seems rather appropriate.

Rodney

Definitely loo-dy. Because of the double d. A double would shorten the vowel. As in your very own examples !

I DO find it very readable. And I thought from day one that Ludy was a fiction. So ?

Barleywine

I also think the Ludy persona is a fabrication. There was an historical Mademoiselle Lescot (Antoinette, later Haudebourt-Lescot) at the end of the 18th century who was a French painter of popular rural genre scenes of Italian peasant customs and dress. She might have inspired a modern Italian painter of tarot cards (and supplied the pseudonymous author's name), but the Ludy Lescot deck doesn't look very rustic, nor does Evangelisti's comic-book art. Just a random thought since I couldn't find anything else on Google.

RunningWild

I saw this thread when it first started and was curious, so I kept tabs on the conversation until July. Then I pre-ordered the deck. You know, this forum is a bad place to try and control spending habits. LOL

It came in the mail within a week of being released in the States. I looked it over and was grabbed by some of the imagery (and let me tell you, the stabbed babies were nowhere as horrific to my mind as the six of chalices! That clown is just not right...). BUT I put the deck away because it just seemed so unreadable to my linear logic and oh-so-still-new-to-tarot mind.

Two weeks passed without a glance at the deck, then I told myself I had to give it a chance. I went through the cards one by one and read the LWB description of each. And then I did a reading for myself with it.

It was absolutely brilliant.

At first I thought the deck was dark, perhaps a bit Gothic, but the messages aren't dark at all. At least not yet, though a bit cautionary at times and isn't that the whole point? To continue on a path or not and the consequences of decisions and events. On the surface it seems loosely romantic, but it reveals a layer of subtlety too. I have to work with it a bit more. It's become one of my faves. Thanks all for the discussion.

November's Dawn

I find this deck very appealing. I know it sounds a bit funny but many consider it as a female deck because of many woman figures but I'm a guy and I find it great. At first I was thinking should I buy it or not because cards seemed to me a bit of like fading colors and I had that connection and not connection to it. I finally decided I will buy it and guess what, I was so surprised, colors are great, darkish, clear and images are breathtaking. Sometimes it's hard to read them because of so many details, but that's the catch, the harder to read the connection seems better. It's one of my favorite decks :)