Steampunk Tarot

Alta

I have been using it fairly steadily since I got it. The colour palette is appealing and I find the imagery well done and the deck is very readable, imo.

Tomsde

Thanks for the links, I did a search for a thread on this subject, but missed that some how.

Tomsde

I think the companion book is rather nice and thicker than average. Interesting observation about the court cards, I wonder what the book says about them. Although in the RWS deck the Pages have always appeared more male than female--but I agree that they do have an androgynous quality and I don't think it's much different in this deck. Knights, however, are more definitely male to me.

Trogon

I got this deck a month or so back, but then got sick & wasn't really doing anything with Tarot. The past few days I've been reading the first few chapters of the book. Tonight I did a "new deck reading" with it (which I will post in the readings forum). But I have to say I am very excited about this deck and have a strong feeling that it will help me to rekindle my enthusiasm and connection to Tarot. It is a fun deck with a very unique take on the RWS traditions. Barbara Moore hit it out of the park with this one!

Tibor

However, I have to say there is one thing that is such a killer for me and all afternoon I have been getting the deck out and trying to overlook it and find that I cannot; the imbalanced courts. Think about it; each tarot suit has 4 courts; we have two genders. Not a difficult division to make. But we have three female courts and one male court in 3 of the suits. It completely invalidates what I think of as court cards and the dynamism of opposing energies. Too much Yin and only a quarter of Yang. I can't get my head round this. Only the Pentacles suits has a male Knight, the other three suits have female Knights. And they don't look like Knights (as in, none of the thrusting dynamism of the suit). All static. So basically female Knights (along with female Pages and female Queens) imbalances the suits of Wands, Cups and swords. Why would one do that? Also, the Knights are indistinguishable from the Pages; you only know because of the title. They could be interchangeable. There's just something not right about the courts and I have been trying to think how I can overcome this because I really rather like the rest of the deck. Furthermore, you see in the Pentacles courts that it is the only set of courts that feels "right" and balanced (fabulous Queen of Pentacles too). The man has a beard and - even though he doesn't have a horse - it feels like the right kind of energy to balance things out. You can tell that the artist - who says in the foreward that he "particularly enjoys creating strong female characters" - just doesn't really like painting men, so they are very much in the background for this deck; lots of women dressed up in male clothing and it feels most acute in the courts (which are hard enough at the best of times).

That's the reason I have not got this deck yet. I really like the rest of the cards (I had a good look at them as a friend of mine bought the deck). Why they did that to this deck? :(

La Force

I have spent along time looking for a deck that has female knights, similar to the cary-yale visconti with the additional female courts included. Thank you Barbara Moore and Aly Fell. I just love the art style, with that it depicts two different eras all in one. I feel which really suits well and feels to me personal more realistic to our times, in a Victorian way. love. Then I decided to be insanely creative and thought out how could I bring a little more masculinity to the deck, balance the imbalance. I will inform you that I did this only for my personal use, this is by no means to disrespect any copyrights whats so ever. I found more of Aly fells art work, used scans of the borders and created these. I did however manipulate some of the images with photoshop, I even included prudence, as we all know prudence is missing from the tarot. Prudence "Practical Wisdom" as opposed to intellectual wisdom, and the high priestess "inner wisdom". I have unnumbered prudence so that she can float anywhere in the deck, like the fool.

these images I show you I did for my own personal use non other. These were not made to abuse copy right by any means. These are meant as additional personal enhancements to this beautifully well done deck IMO.

Attachments

• female knight of pentacles2.jpg
    female knight of pentacles2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Female knight of swords.jpg
    Female knight of swords.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 213
  • male Knight of wands.jpg
    male Knight of wands.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 151
  • New male Knight of Cups.jpg
    New male Knight of Cups.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Prudence.jpg
    Prudence.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 152

iAmRiotEyes

I have spent along time looking for a deck that has female knights, similar to the cary-yale visconti with the additional female courts included. Thank you Barbara Moore and Aly Fell. I just love the art style, with that it depicts two different eras all in one. I feel which really suits well and feels to me personal more realistic to our times, in a Victorian way. love. Then I decided to be insanely creative and thought out how could I bring a little more masculinity to the deck, balance the imbalance. I will inform you that I did this only for my personal use, this is by no means to disrespect any copyrights whats so ever. I found more of Aly fells art work, used scans of the borders and created these. I did however manipulate some of the images with photoshop, I even included prudence, as we all know prudence is missing from the tarot. Prudence "Practical Wisdom" as opposed to intellectual wisdom, and the high priestess "inner wisdom". I have unnumbered prudence so that she can float anywhere in the deck, like the fool.

these images I show you I did for my own personal use non other. These were not made to abuse copy right by any means. These are meant as additional personal enhancements to this beautifully well done deck IMO.

I have no words for how perfect this is..... I am in utter awe.

Owl Song

I got my "Steampunk Tarot" a little less than a week ago and I have to say--I am very impressed. I love the color scheme of the cards. The images are close up enough that you get details but far back enough that you also get perspective.

For readings, I find this to be a very earthy deck. The book is helpful but this is a deck that you can read right out of the box.

The only card I have a little trouble with is the High Priestess. She has a "Magician" kind of energy. It's more outward focused than the traditional introspection that you'd expect of this card, although if you read the description in the book, it does help to understand what direction Moore was going in with this card.

All in all, a great deck. Wonderful for intuitive readings. I wasn't sure if this was going to be just a novelty deck but I'm pleased to say that it isn't. It's a real working deck.

Pretty terrific!

MsRed

I'm a bit late to the party as I discovered this deck only recently. I have received it earlier this week and did the first readings with it today - and I' amazed!
It uses a very clear, direct language, there is rarely any guessing why this card has turned up and what it wants to tell me. It's just crystal clear! I love it!
How about those who have already spent more time with it and got to know it better .... is it a deck you use often or do you use it less frequently after the novelty has worn off?

iAmRiotEyes

I'm a bit late to the party as I discovered this deck only recently. I have received it earlier this week and did the first readings with it today - and I' amazed!
It uses a very clear, direct language, there is rarely any guessing why this card has turned up and what it wants to tell me. It's just crystal clear! I love it!
How about those who have already spent more time with it and got to know it better .... is it a deck you use often or do you use it less frequently after the novelty has worn off?

I definitely use it often because it's such a clear deck. There's not guessing because it's very forthright in its answers. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, especially beginners.

Whenever I need a straight answer, this is one of the decks I go to.