Golden Tarot (Kat Black) Revisited

Freddie

Hi All,

I have had this deck for awhile, but only recently have a taken a shine to it. I am quite amazed at what a good value it is considering the gilt card edges, deluxe instruction book and the beautiful box it comes in. I really feel Kat Black and U.S. Games have created a beautiful Tarot set that in time will become one of the great classic decks.

I am really enjoying this one. I have been burned out on the traditional Rider-Waite for years and somehow this deck and Connolly have brought me back to it's unique Golden Dawn symbolism and general warmness. I am not sure if 'Christian Myticism' and 'The Da Vinci Code' (Gnostic Christian Beliefs) were considered in this deck, but since this is what I practice as a faith, this deck and Connolly really suits me spiritually. This deck and Connolly are both powerful divination tools for myself as they seem to strike some kind of hidden chord within me. I don't quite understand why though.

Anyone else here use this one?

Freddie

Attachments

• deljoannacards.jpg
    deljoannacards.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 10,140
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,135
  • thCAM1DFQL.jpg
    thCAM1DFQL.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,693
  • Major06.jpg
    Major06.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,031
  • golden_T_w.jpg
    golden_T_w.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,092

moonbear

Funnily enough Freddie I'm busy doing a reading today for my partner in the Psychic Reading Circle using this deck. It reads very clearly for me and quite honestly it's my favourite deck and the one that I use most when reading for others. And agree, it was great value for the money. Lovely box and presentation.
I'm a pagan but feel very comfortable with the images. I love the muted earthy colours the artist used and the abundance of animals throughout. Makes for creative readings :)
A very spiritual deck but can be read in a very down to earth way too.

Le Fanu

I really feel Kat Black and U.S. Games have created a beautiful Tarot set that in time will become one of the great classic decks.
I think it already is, isn't it?

I love this deck - and believe that the Touchstone feels like the insubstantial follow up, rather like that "difficult" second album that successful bands have to produce after a huge debut album hit - and I come back to it again and again.

You don't have to be Christian to get it though (not that anyone suggested that). It is a deck that appeals to art lovers generally. Anyone, in fact. I don't generally like collage decks but the overall quirky perspective of early Renaissance art works well with the not-so-seamless collaging.

Very special deck. I should use it more when reading for others.

Padma

I have and love this deck as well, Freddie :) I also have Kat Black's Touchstone. I love both decks because, as a painter myself, I can spend hours looking at the beautiful artwork depicted on them...Much as I poured through my mother's collection of art books of the Masters, fascinated, when I was 5 years old! The Golden is beautifully done, and reads like a dream. Rife with symbolism and so easy on the eyes. It is easy to take my time when I read with this deck, as my eyes want to linger on the images...just to enjoy their delicate beauty. I am glad you are enjoying your deck! :love:

Tibor

I also love this deck and I absolutely agree with Freddie that it is a great value and the gilt edges definitely make it even more appealing to me as I love and do prefer decks with gilt edges. The whole package feels very luxurious.

(I do not agree with Le Fanu that the Touchstone is 'insubstantial' in any way. It is way up there)

I have done a reading with it recently as well and it was very insightful.

GryffinSong

I love my Golden! Every time I try to cull my decks I just can't bring myself to let this one go. Its beautifully done, and definitely a classic. It doesn't hurt that there are a lot of greyhounds and Italian greyhounds in the artwork. ;)

PattyMc

This deck is a favorite of mine. I have been thinking of trimming the borders, just haven't firmly made up my mind yet!

Patty

SixDegrees

This deck is a favorite of mine. I have been thinking of trimming the borders, just haven't firmly made up my mind yet!

Patty

Oh you *must* trim it. I never fancied the deck until I trimmed it (the gilding was so sharp!). Now it's one of my favorite reading decks.

LadyDeborah

Though I love Kat's Golden Tarot, my absolute favorite is Touchstone. I connected with it immediately. There is something so special about this deck to me and I couldn't be without it.

Freddie

This is just one of those decks that surpasses it's genre. I feel the same about 'Tarot of the old Path' as there are many like myself that love/use it who do not know much Wicca. All we know is that we connect to the deck and it's symbolism. The Golden seems to be chatty, classy and down to earth all at the same time. I like the way the colouring blends together and how the images look so like they have so much depth.

The Golden Dawn speak about 'skrying' (e.g. Robert Wang) or 'going into the card' and this deck to me is the perfect for this....kind of like a 'magic mirror'...another reason I like the golden borders. The images are realistic looking with none of the fake cartoon or photographed/computer generated plastic art of many other modern decks.

Freddie

Freddie