Bohemian Gothic companion book ??

cardlady22

I'm wondering what sort of reference information is found in the book. I have not read or watched movies from this genre, so I feel like I'm really missing an important base for the elements in the cards. Do they specify books, movies, artwork, etc?

Libra8ca

I love this book. :love: The information for the individual cards is very helpful and it's worth getting if you can. There is some general background info on the gothic included too which is very interesting but I find the information about the individual cards more pertinent for doing a reading.
There is also some good info here on the forum in the deck study threads that you may want to look at if you can't get the book. ;)

tarotlyn

cardlady22 said:
:| I can't believe I didn't think to go there. Thank you, angel!

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=108497
This mentions a discussion thread. Does anyone know if it was under Tarot Decks? Or the title of it?...

:love: click on the "books" tab (not not "decks" tab) and type in:

"Bohemian Gothic"

...sorry, I should have put that in my post...:bugeyed:

Big Hug
:love:Lyn

Le Fanu

There are references to vampire / Gothic literature and - if I remember rightly - there is an essay on the Gothic movement, but the most unusual part of the book is the focus on darker meanings. Each card entry asks a question/ posits a dilemma. This was a "love it or hate it" part of the book. Encouraging us to ask questions about the images, pick up on their ambiguity; "what is the woman doing? Why is she smiling? What might she have seen?" Suggestions in this vein. Some people like it, others didn't. I eprsoanlly thought it was a good idea to get people asking questions and learning how to really read images...

cardlady22

Thank you, Le Fanu!
I'll definitely take a more "story-telling" tack as I go through these.

Amary

There is, right at this moment, a BG book for sale on Amazon.com fr $120-ish, for those that are interested.

cardlady22

Thanks, Amary, but I'll have to pass at that price. (and at this time)

AJ

Karen should give some though to uploading the book to Amazon's print on demand software, then they would be making the money on their books but not be out a big upfront printing cost.