The fool and his flower?!

Rogan

Um... I get the dog, I get the cliff...

BUT THE FLOWER?!

What do you guys think?

Julien

Hey there,

Mike Gorth posted a thread last week about the relationship between The Fool and Death -- I did a quick scan and couldn't quite locate it but it's early and I'm on my first cup of coffee for the day... Might try searching on his name. But the flower shows up on Death, too, and Mike got some very interesting comments about what that flower is and its symbolic meaning.

Best,
Julen

ArcanoMáximo

Paris?

In 78DW Rachell say it is "inocence" "potential", and i think it is about the "simple", the return to source that The Fool is doing...¡ Like Paris Hilton in "The Simple Life" ! :)
In this sense I see also the little bag he is carring. Hope this help you Rogan.
Máximo.-

Alissa

One thing I've noticed is the Fool is gazing just past his flower as he strolls off his cliff. To me, this speaks of the Fool's tendency to get lost in his ideals, and not see the dangers before him. He's a very naive little guy, and he's got his head in the clouds sometimes, but that's why we love him. The white flower, white is of course a color symbolizing purity and innocence. :)

Also, the body position of the Fool as he carries the rose (I think of it as a rose) shows him holding it aloft, as if he were admiring it greatly. He holds this rose with joyful reverence.

Parzival

Fool and his Flower

The white flower is under the white sun, as if to take the essence of the sun into it. The fool looks forward, over the cliff, with sun and flower behind him. I see the flower as his essence of Being, his Atma or Self, while the Sun is Brahma. He comes out of the Original Being, down, into first embodiment, falling from the Light of timelessness into the "valley of the shadow." In his unconscious is the pure white flower of his Original Nature. From the heights to the depths he descends, but he carries eternal spring's flower with him, unknowingly.

squeakmo9

I always felt the Fool's flower was significant of his trust and faith in a higher power. He maybe naive but has great spiritual protection with the warmth of the sun shining down on him.

gilded goat

If the flower was a red rose it would mean passion and love of life but its white!so pehaps the fool has left behind him his past desires, for something ,dare i say,greater; the white flower could be he has spiritual desires yet at present is unaware of them hence his lack of concern for what lies ahead

wilde-tarot

the white rose makes up the trinity of white to right of the card- Sun-Rose-Doggit(happy one at that!)

Rosanne

The white Rose tradionally signifys 'Innocence', but also along with Apple Blossom 'Virginity'. For me The fool is naive and innocent and a learner (virgin) heading into virgin territory for him. ~Rosanne

Elven

Hi All,

What a beautiful and simple distraction! He holds the rose though, as if to miss the thorns on the stem, it has just bloomed and the perfume of the flower would be at its most potent, the rose is at its peak of development before it wilts and fades. Its petals are open to recieve the bees that pollenate it. The rose is freshly plucked, as its leaves are still upright.

The white flower is one most used in Western Culture to portray innocense and purity, intention and spirit. Even though trends come and go, the white flower, and very often roses, are the main flower of the wedding boquet and the funeral wreath. Both these ceremonies are an initiation of the new cycle, chosen and fated. I also see it signifying the begining of the procession. Brides carry flowers before they walk down the aisle, The coffin is layered with flowers for its journey to the chapel. White petals would be thrown before a new path was trod.

I think it symbolizes the gateway of new beginings, the potency and ripeness of the situation. In the RW deck the Fool is in front of the flower. What the fool does from this point is forge onward, unknowingly, upon his path. He carries his innocence with him - the rose - his purity of intension, he is ready but he is about to learn what his choices will bring him - his consequences.

The whiteness of the sun and the 'peaks' of the mountain, the rose and the little dog I think give a 'freshness and crispness' to portray the moment just before his first step into the unknown.

Just a thought....
Many Blessings
Elven x