New member from Gresham Oregon, search for a first deck

srhkhavari

Hi there,

I came here looking for the best tarot deck for me to start out with. A friend told me he would recommend a deck to me featuring animals strongly. I want to start out with something based on the traditional tarot however. He also suggestion a non traditional deck, which I am fine with, but I would like to gain familiarity with the traditional kinds of images and symbolism in tarot still. I don't know which of these decks convey completely different messages or which messages would be best for me to work with. I've seen a lot of stuff recently including a tarot deck for health and wellness, which I wasn't impressed with. I don't feel strongly called to any of the decks I've seen so far in my price range.

Does anyone here have experience with the Wildwood deck or the Shapeshiter deck or any animal decks you would recommend? I think the concept my friend wants me to work with is power animals, but I'm open to suggestions. I've also used the Voodoo deck which held some interest to me, but I am a total beginner and I'm not sure how traditional this deck is, if it's pretty much completely different from the symbolism of traditional tarot or not, or how to use a knowledge or tarot to inform my reading (using this deck). Any books on tarot for beginners (that you've used and have personal experience with) would be welcome knowledge.

I attempted to find a deck I used once for a reading on facade.com, and after searching the site (and others) for a while I think I found it, though I'm not sure. This might be it. https://www.amazon.com/Haindl-Tarot-Deck-Hermann/dp/0880794658 Any feedback or recommendations regarding a deck, or my search for a deck would be great. If you can include some of your experience searching for a deck to inform my own that would be great.

I included some information about my process so far (so you could get to know me a little) to make a recommendation. I included my geographical location to reach out to locals. I'm open to new friends with common interests. Thank you.

CrystalSeas

Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot srhkhavari

Because the New Member forum is primarily a place to introduce yourself, I'm going to move your thread to a forum where you're likely to get more responses.

Le Fanu

Hi there and welcome.

Have you checked out the Animal Totem Tarot? I don't have it - but those who like animal decks seem to really like it. Maybe it's worth checking out and seeing if it's one you could imagine working with.

mercuryempress

Welcome

maybe the animal wisdom tarot

Silmaril23

Hi there!

You mentioned the Wildwood and the Haindl, among others.

My understanding is that both of these decks are fairly advanced, as decks go. The Wildwood uses a different system altogether, as it is based on the "Wheel of the Year". The Haindl is VERY complex and is based more on the Thoth system than the RWS (Rider Waite Smith) system. Most people (although not all) learn the RWS system when they are first starting out.

I actually bought the Haindl years ago as my first deck, but found it very difficult to learn with. I gave it away at that time...but actually just repurchased it again, now that I'm much more confident in my Tarot knowledge! It is beautiful, for sure...but not the best for absolute beginners.

I would personally recommend watching some YouTube videos on Tarot basics first, so you understand something about the system. Then research on a wide variety of decks until you find one that you personally really connect with. It needs to be a deck that speaks to YOU.

All the best to you!

Cocobird55

If you want to have a look at traditional tarot, I suggest the Universal Waite. It's a prettier version of the Rider-Waite-Smith.

The decks you mentioned are interesting - I have most of them. They are not that great for someone starting out, but certainly something you can look forward to down the road.

CharlotteK

Hi there and welcome.

Have you checked out the Animal Totem Tarot? I don't have it - but those who like animal decks seem to really like it. Maybe it's worth checking out and seeing if it's one you could imagine working with.
The Animal Totem deck has been very easy to work with for me. The book that comes with the deck is excellent and gives great insight into the animals featured and gives them a voice and message as well as describing what's going on. For working with an animal based deck I would definitely recommend this over Wildwood for you as you're starting out. It doesn't adhere strictly to the RWS system but is very loosely based on it. The main downside is the card stock and shuffling this deck is akin to wrestling with it. But it's an effective deck, I have has very clear and insightful readings from it.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

RavenLuna

I wouldn't normally recommend the Haindl, because it's tough going, but if you connect to it, that's half the battle. You'd probably need the books that go with it by Rachel Pollack. There's also a Tree of Life book that goes with it too. It depends how much study you are willing to do.

The Wildwood on the other hand, I would recommend to a beginner. People who are used to RWS find the subtle changes difficult, but if you are brand new, it would pose no problem. It even has keywords on the cards to prompt you.

How about the Wild Unknown? It's affordable now that it's mass market, comes with a book, has animals, and loads of people have had that as their first deck with no issues.

Mythtaken

I'm a tarot newbie, but I do have a number of nice animal based tarot decks.

The Animism Tarot does have clear labels, so you know which card you're looking at, but the images aren't RWS clones that happen to feature animals.

The Wild Unknown is a nice deck, with lots of animals/nature, no people, etc., but again, it's not an RWS clone. The Wild Unknown Animal Oracle is very nice.

In terms of RWS clone type tarot decks that don't have actual human faces, I like the International Icon Tarot deck.

Haven't seen a lot of the other animal decks that are out there, but I have had fun just browsing the Animal category on the AT site. Some of them are (frustratingly) out of print, but they're still fun to look at.

Nemia

The Haindl was my second or third deck, my first was the Thoth, and I read with both of them without any problems.

The BEST deck for you is the best deck for YOU.

If you understand its message and the art resonates with you, that's the main thing IMO. There's no end to the depths you can go anyway, but why start with a cookie cutter deck only because others recommend it? I don't know how many recommendations in life I disregarded over the years :) If your intuition calls you, follow its call.

So don't listen to anyone's advice. Except for mine of course ;-))))