Your Favorite Deck By Smell :3

Dogs&Coffee

What is your favorite deck by smell? Mine is Zombie tarot... hard to shuffle, hard to read, and I barely use it, but it smells like india ink and charcoal pencils which reminds me of my mom's old wooden art supply kit, so I love it.

Aeric

What that rules out almost all the Lo Scarabeo decks for me. I practically have to let them offgas in an open window for a day before I use them.

Dogs&Coffee

What that rules out almost all the Lo Scarabeo decks for me. I practically have to let them offgas in an open window for a day before I use them.

LOL oh no!! Why? What do they smell like???

Carojulie

As a rule I wash my hands before I handle my decks, and I spray my hands with a homemade spray made with cologne amongst other ingredients. So, more or less, all the decks that I have used in a recent time smell like soap and cologne.

One deck that really wear the cologne scent stronger than the other is my Druidcraft deck :
I trimmed it, and then I edged it with an inkpad. But the ink bled a little on the cards, so, each card that I pressed on the inkpad, I then wiped with a handkerchied wet with cologne. The alcohol in the cologne helped to clear the ink that had bled on the front of the cards. Each card was heavily wiped with cologne, and so my Druidcraft deck is still wearing this scent that I like a lot.

Also, I have a wodden box were I keep two or three decks at a time, along with a few items that I use when reading : a reading cotton cloth, sage, a candle, crystals, and small boxes of Padmini dhoop incense.
I rotate the decks that go into that box quite often, and when they have spend a few days or weeks in the box, the scent of Padmini incense lingers - eventhough I keep each of my deck inside a special pouch, the scent very lightly pervades the deck. I doesnt stay long ; when the decks are out of this box, te scent vanishes in a few days.

but when I smell a deck with this light mix of cologne and very light incense scent it's like "home" to me.

But of course, when they arrive from the manufacturer, the decks smell of ink, and sometimes that is cool also.

One I really did not like when it arrived was the Prisma Vision deck ; for some reason it smelled of plastic and I did not like that. It took a while to make the scent go away. Decks from Vega editions (who sell Toni Carmino oracle decks in french version, among others) also smell of plastic when new. Fortunately it goes away.

The best scent I got with new decks were the Wild Unknown (bought from a retailer who wrapped it in scented silk paper - delicious !) and the Connected and Free Oracle deck (Seller obviously uses some incense of her own, and it smells so good that I really would like to know what brand she uses !)

Barleywine

My Radiant RWS smelled horribly like chemicals when I opened it, but over time it subsided. That would be my "least favorite" deck smell by far. And . . . off-gas? That sounds like a nuclear power term, or at least some kind of hydrogen reaction mitigator. Hmm?

lantana

Well this post just prompted me to sit in front of my shelf and smell for awhile :bugeyed:

Housewives, Wild Unknown (2nd edition), and Cosmos Tarot & Oracle are the ones with the most distinctive smell for me. I really like Cosmos', when I first got it I imagined it was the smell of the art studio it came from but it's probably actually from all the gold gilding on the deck.

nisaba

What is your favorite deck by smell?

Mine is, without a shadow of a doubt, the 7th World Tarot. Out of all my 170-something decks, it was the only one that smelled *natural*, instead of having a new-deck-smell or a chemical smell or a printer's ink smell. It came out smelling of citrus, possibly a mixture of lemon and fingerlime. Gorgeous. I snuffed it up every time I took the deck out.

It was a sad, sad day for me when the smell was so faded that I could no longer detect it.

Dogs&Coffee

Well this post just prompted me to sit in front of my shelf and smell for awhile :bugeyed:

Housewives, Wild Unknown (2nd edition), and Cosmos Tarot & Oracle are the ones with the most distinctive smell for me. I really like Cosmos', when I first got it I imagined it was the smell of the art studio it came from but it's probably actually from all the gold gilding on the deck.

The Cosmos is a beautiful deck! How do you find it reads? I would imagine that despite the common theme the disparate art styles can be tricky...

Dogs&Coffee

Mine is, without a shadow of a doubt, the 7th World Tarot. Out of all my 170-something decks, it was the only one that smelled *natural*, instead of having a new-deck-smell or a chemical smell or a printer's ink smell. It came out smelling of citrus, possibly a mixture of lemon and fingerlime. Gorgeous. I snuffed it up every time I took the deck out.

It was a sad, sad day for me when the smell was so faded that I could no longer detect it.

It looks like it would smell good. It kind of looks like it should smell like Earl Grey tea :3

baconwaffles

Oh goodness The Spanish Tarot for sure. It smells of soft spanish powder, (Maja) and feels like silk, lovely and pleasing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk