Decks brought under the influence/on a whim.

Dogs&Coffee

Apparently while delirious with sleep last night I accidentally ordered the Mary-el along with the $5 English magic tarot... I completely forgot it was in the cart :/

I think I'll be returning it... there are other decks I want way more.

Alta

Since I drink little, the first is not an issue but I have purchased decks both on whims and because of crowd enthusiasm here. Last summer I purchased the Linestrider in a New Age store because I had seen it discussed and because it is rare to see anything but the most common decks in stores but I have not taken to the deck. :( Too bad, it was fairly expensive.

Barleywine

I've had uneven experience with the decks I've seen touted here. Too often the raves are about the graphics and not about the utility of a deck in reading, probably because the reviewer hasn't worked with the deck for very long. Most times, though, my personal tastes just don't match up with the consensus viewpoint, and it's rare to find an open display copy of a deck in stores. Most of my "fails" are with art decks, which are beautiful to behold but cold as ice for reading. The most "epic fail" for me is probably the Illuminati; I just don't "feel" it at all, although I love to look at it and would never trade it away or sell it. The second would have to be the Legacy of the Divine.

Michellehihi

Funny thread! I honestly don't think I've ever been out tarot shopping whilst under the influence. Now there's an idea...

I suppose I have taken a gamble on decks and found that they really weren't for me. I haven't so much bought on a whim either although I have been through phases where the inner completionist has got the better of me and I have bought a deck because I really OUGHT to have it and then it's been completely unused - like the Tarot of the Old Path or some thematic LoS decks when I really was trying to keep up with everything LoS published and ended up with decks like the Black Cat Tarot and Elemental tarot - just useless to me - and LoS decks like these don't budge in trading either so there's no point even going there.

I have - on reflection - bid on ebay stuff whilst tipsy after dinner parties - but nothing that I can remember regretting. Except perhaps one. An old majors only RWS that looked really mysterious and had belonged to someone's grandfather and the seller could say nothing about it and foolishly I didn't ask for pictures of the backs - but it just sounded way too tempting so I bid higher than I should have and when it came it was pictures of the RWS from a magazine glued onto cereal packet cardboard. The backs really were just cardboard from a cereal or biscuit box or something :(

Oh my God your story of the cereal box deck is something!

G6

I will buy on a whim at a certain price point. Usually they are decks I've been on the fence about or have a mild interest level in trying out. Most recently lol! forgot the name of the deck! That tells you everything right there! Okay, I remember it's the Linstrider Tarot. It's coming tomorrow. Before that Fenestra Tarot. Before that Lars-Kristian Holmsen Tarot. Before that... It goes on and on, but I don't keep decks I don't like/won't ever use, so they get recycled usually here on AT.

bonebeach

I don't drink, but I do have insomnia induced poor impulse control, so after a certain point in the night I usually take away my internet access. But when I haven't...there's definitely been a few deck purchases. Only one really stands out, though.

Tarot of the Pagan Cats. Why? Aesthetically it's so not me. And I'm a dog person. And I don't particularly like the word pagan. baffling. it's so cutesy. why? why, 3 AM self? why??

and I've kept it, too. And every now and again, I even use it. (but WHY?)

lantana

Maybe getting drunk would help me solve my current "which deck to buy?" problem... No way that could go wrong!

Alta

Maybe getting drunk would help me solve my current "which deck to buy?" problem... No way that could go wrong!
Not sure why, but that made me laugh a lot! :D

Now that I read the posts, I realize that I have also purchased decks for no good reason except that I was tired or down. oops...

DDwarks

I feel that way about the Legacy of the Divine, but I really connected with Ciro's Gilded.

That's interesting. The Gilded is one of my favourites decks but I ended up giving the Legacy away.
Too weird and strong. The Knights I couldnt get my head around..And the flimsy card stock...
The Gilded however, in all its simplicity, I find very interesting to work with.

The Shadowscapes is another impulse deck I bought but successfully traded 2 weeks later.(luckily!)

Madrigal

When I started out with cards there were a lot of 'whim buys'. I'm much more selective now and also more hip to my egoic logic, or lack thereof :joke: when it comes to wanting decks. If I see a deck that catches my fancy it goes into a kind of 'holding tank' for a chunk of time. If when I return to it I still want it then I buy but usually not before then.