Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn

Nina*

Looks cool. Thank you, JD!!

Le Fanu

Thank you jackdaw for that link; I checked it out and really quite liked it! I see they´ve used the 1970s Robert Wang Golden Dawn motifs hidden in the background in certain cards.

What is interesting about this deck is just how shifts in angles (views from above or from unexpected perspectives) can totally dynamise traditional tarot images. There is a real energy there. On the links they´re wonderful, but then you have to mentally shrink them to Scarabeo size, box them in with the borders and multi-lingua titles and of course, some of the energy is inevitably lost. I wish they were the same size in the flesh as they are on the scans!

Some great images though; the Magician in a trance, Death, Hanged Man. Court cards are always a problem though... And the a** on the Star card woman! A bit overdone, a bit laughable really...

Formicida

I really like some of those cards (the Moon!!), and the art style is quite nice. But the female characters are all so sexualized. They remind me a bit of comic books, or the covers of old science fiction novels--all those women with chests bursting out of whatever they're wearing.

But some of those majors really are wonderful, and the minors are interesting.

Mimers

Formicida said:
I really like some of those cards (the Moon!!), and the art style is quite nice. But the female characters are all so sexualized. They remind me a bit of comic books, or the covers of old science fiction novels--all those women with chests bursting out of whatever they're wearing.

But some of those majors really are wonderful, and the minors are interesting.

A lot of the LS decks are comic bookie and I agree, sometimes I wonder the need for so many naked breasts. Like for the Princesses. They are all showing their assets. Why? Is there a purpose?

Le Fanu

Mimers said:
A lot of the LS decks are comic bookie and I agree, sometimes I wonder the need for so many naked breasts. Like for the Princesses. They are all showing their assets. Why? Is there a purpose?

Uncontrollable, frenzied illustrators who think this is what we want to see. Don´t forget, most of these illustrators are not primarily tarotist. I think they must get bored doing 78 archaic symbols. I begin to find a lot of these illustrations a bit silly. Who´s the target public? Over-sexed 17 year old boys?

Im not a prude but some of this sexualising is just so wide of the mark...

And heaving cleavage apart, there are some quite nice cards in this deck...

Quester

I agree they should have covered up some of the assets for those scantily dressed, but it IS a good deck otherwise...Some of the art is VERY striking!!

Mimers

Quester said:
I agree they should have covered up some of the assets for those scantily dressed, but it IS a good deck otherwise...Some of the art is VERY striking!!

I agree. I can easily overlook the nudity. Doesn't bother me that much. I think the court cards in general bother me most. I don't see much in them.

rwcarter

Well, it's interesting. I believe I saw in another thread on AT that women are the primary buyers of tarot, so if that's true, it's rather incongruous that so many decks seem to be geared toward hormonal males....

My copy of this deck is on it's way to me from Amazon (and Monday's a federal holiday here in America, so it won't come tomorrow....), so I haven't seen the voluptuousness of the deck for myself yet.

Rodney

Queen of Disks

Allright, I have to get this deck! I love it! It's so....alive! It's got lots of good stuff-esoteric symbolism that I don't fully understand yet, lots of action, beautiful unclothed women, comic book/pinup/scifi style, tons of energy, and a major attitude.

Thank you Jackdaw for the link, I'm sold. I really want to see how it reads.

(I've seen a few cards from Robert Wang's deck in a book, and I think the Princesses were topless there, too. Maybe it's part of the Golden Dawn tradition or something, I don't know.)

Shade

Mimers said:
An example is the 6 of swords. A young girl, probably pre pubescent carries the head of a warrior on a platter. You can see the warrior's headless body laying on the ground behind her. She seems a little in shock to me. Unexpressive considering she is carrying a bloody head. Is there a reason her dress is shear? Who cut off the guys head? She is not bloody at all so it couldn't have been her. I am just not getting this one. There are a few other minors that I am confused about too.

I assumed this was either the Biblical Judith or Salome. The platter made me think Salome but the dead warrior made me think of Judith and Holofernes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_by_Caravaggio.jpg