Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

Stormdancer

OOOh..and I really do kinda like the apple cider vinegar in water taste. Probably explains why I like dry red wine as well :D

celticnoodle

Tansey Ella said:
Try either a benzol peroxide bath wash or a salicylic acid body wash. I use Walgreen knock of T Sal for a body wash. I have also just purchased Benzol peroxide for $1 at the dollar store and applied it to the bumps. I have rosacea and it can be really hard to work with. I find the body washes work the best. You can purchase a shampoo with the same ingredients and use it instead of a body wash. works for me.
oh thank you, tansey!!! I also have rosacea and have a prescribed gel, "metrogel" that I use when I have a breakout. I don't like it, as it really drys out my already very dry skin, but what can one do? plus it's EXPENSIVE stuff! I'm going to try this! as soon as I can get to walmart again!

Ethereal_Phoenix

For a flu-like sickness or cold: Garlic on Toast! It really works!
I also like to soak a washed Quartz Crystal that has been charged with healing properties in a glass of water. I usually charge the crystal in the moon and soak it in the sun, for balance.
This I buy so it's always in my house, White Willow Bark Extract...I put Fifty drops into a glass of water and I swear on my life it works ten times better than Tylenol or Advil!

OmSeaweed

Egg white facial--Separate your white from the yolk (set yolk aside to cook up for yourself or the dog, lol.) Whip whites into a light froth (you can skip this step, but it's an *awfully* slimy mess trying it au natural,) then apply to skin. Wait until the egg white mask dries completely, then rinse off and wash face. The result--tighter skin/pores and cleaner pores, too.

For a quick, moisturizing hand treatment--Mix equal parts of sugar and cooking oil together, set the mix aside and give them about a 1/2 hr. to really combine, then lightly scrub hands with the mix. Finish with washing hands (the oil, I like olive oil for this, stays in the skin and really deep moisturizes.) A ratio of 2 oz: 2 oz mix usually lasts a week if kept in the fridge.

For *really* tatty nerves you could try this combo: 3 St. John's Wort capsules, 3 B-12 sub-lingual "buttons" and 4 Celestial Seasonings "Tension Tamer" tea bags made up as a regular single cup of tea with a *healthy* dose of good honey (to help offset the mucky flavor of the tea.) Repeat as necessary : ) ... of course, I'm not a dr. and don't give medical advice, so you might want to consult with your physician(s) first.

Aliceanna

my top five

I like this thread!
hmm, my top favorite home remedies are:

1. Lavender oil massaged gently into the neck and shoulders can stop the type of headache that starts from tense neck muscles (I get them a lot when I am writing papers for school).

2. chewing a combination of cumin and fennel seeds can help stop gas/stomach aches caused by gas.

3. Garlic compress (mash the garlic and put it in cheesecloth) is good for keeping nasty cuts from getting infected.

4. Peppermint tea is a good digestive.

5. raspberry tea or dong quai tea is good for stopping menstrual cramps.

I wish I had a good rememdy for insomnia....
Aliceanna

greatdane

Five Favorites

I do cleaning with mostly natural products, like baking soda and vinegar, love using lemons to make the garbage disposal smell fresh, OIL OF OREGANO, big favorite (as long as you're not allergic to oregano, sage, thyme, anything in that famly and also oil of oregano may help block iron absorption, so impt to keep in mind if plan on using every day or often), rubbing alcohol (don't know if counts as a natural product, but use to disinfect around the bathroom)

Aliceanna

more cleaning remedies

I cook a lot and I have found that half a lemon and a handful of salt can be used to scrub wooden cutting boards and it will not only clean them, but completely remove the smell of onions, garlic, and other strong substances.

Also, white vinegar gets out the smell of cat pee. :)
Aliceanna

I use rubbing alcohol for everything: cleaning bathroom, cleaning the small trashcans in my bathroom, cleaning that pad that goes over the lightswitch, the fridge door...etc. etc.

OmSeaweed

I forgot! Honey! Raw honey on most any type of surface wound (anything not needing stitches, etc, like cuts,) works wonders! You'll heal faster and it has natural antibacterial properties. Just slap on a little honey and a band aid and it works faster than Neosporin or other likewise products. (If you're out and about and in a pinch can only get one of those restaurant honey packets that aren't entirely honey, it'll still work until you can get home.)

(I'm not religious, but having studied anthropology/archeology I learned this tidbit: King Herod was a jealous man and couldn't stand to see his wife with another, so he killed her. Then, unable to deal with the thought of parting with her he kept her body completely submersed in honey for 8 years! and it didn't spoil.)

I wouldn't recommend keeping bodies in it, lol, but it works great on cuts and bumps :)

margi

Skin and Hair...

I don't know if any of these have been posted, I read up to page 9 and started to go cross eyed....

For hair loss and thinning, Nettle infused oil used as a hot oil treatment, and massaged into the scalp strengthens the hair follicles, preventing hair loss....it also strengthens the hair strand helping to prevent split ends.

Coconut oil used as a pre shampoo treatment can eliminate the need for conditioners....use SLS free shampoo's....SLS is a surfactant, and very harsh to the skin and scalp.

Camellia oil is another oil that is great for the hair, but more than that, it is wonderful for the skin!!! Geisha's have used it for centuries....will help fade spots, and inprove your complexion.

Rose hips oil....anti-aging due to the high levels of anti oxidants...Vitamins A, C, E and K in addition to Oleic Acid, etc....non-greasy, perfect used alone.

Grapefruit seed extract-used as a gargle can strengthen and whiten teeth. Great alternative to fluoride....in very small doses, if taken internally, is a powerful anti fungal, helping with yeast issues. Is also wonderful to add to your cleaning products, as it is a natural insect repellent and has anti bacterial properties.

Jojoba oil, straight up, for any hair and skin issues....

Arnica infused oil helps reduce the appearance of cellulite...

These are the ones at the top of my list....sorry for any repeats...

M

Stormdancer

OmSeaweed said:
I forgot! Honey! Raw honey on most any type of surface wound

This is probably a dumb question, but....Is "RAW" honey the same stuff we buy in the store? I know at our farmers market there's a "honey guy" with local stuff, but it's not open yet.