Pathfinders/Truth-seekers Tarot -- differences? Pros? Cons?

Carla

Are the Pathfinders and Truth-seekers Tarot the same deck? Could you someone share the pros and cons of them. Which would you get, if you were going to look for one of them. Or would you bother?

I was attracted to the colours when I saw images in someone's blog.

tarot heart

I have the Truth-Seekers and it is a beautiful deck. Lots of gilded cards, not on the sides, on the face of the cards themselves. The cardstock is on the thick side, which I happen to like. The colors are very bright and cheerful. I have not seen good reviews of this deck and I really don't know why, but I don't care either.

As for the Pathfinders, I don't have it, but somewhere I read that the cards are larger than the Truth-Seekers. I am not sure if they have the gilding though.

HTH

ETA: About the Truth-Seeker: I forgot to mention that the minors are not fully illustrated, although they are illustrated a bit.

It's the colors that sold me on this deck. :)

Carla

Thanks for the reply!

I wonder which I ought to get -- Pathfinders or Truth seekers??

greycats

I have both. As near as I can tell, they are the same deck except that the Pathfinder version is larger and the gilding is different. The Pathfinder's is 5.75 inches by 3.25 inches whereas the Truth-Seeker's is an inch shorter and about a half inch narrower. The backs of the cards are the same in both decks. The main difference I saw was in the gilding. Both decks have a lot of it, and in both the same items are gilded and in the same way. However, the Truth Seeker's gilding is very bright--mirror bright like gold foil--and the Pathfinder's is more subdued, almost matte, more like gold paint, I would say. As for the images on the cards, they are identical, as far as I can tell, down to the last pebble.

I bought the Truth Seeker's first along with its book as a set. I used the deck several times a week for about a year before moving on to a different one, but I kept the book around as a reference because it is based on numerology, mostly, instead of Waite and therefore gives you a slightly different point of view. Then I saw the Pathfinder on E-bay and bought that because I thought a slightly larger deck as a back-up would be nice.

Some time passed, and when I returned to the deck, I found myself using the Pathfinder's more often. Now I prefer it, but only slightly. I like the more subdued gilding and some of the shading is more obvious in the larger format--for the majors, anyway. I still use both, however. And the bright, foil-like gilding of the Truth Seeker's has held up to a year of steady use.

Hope this helps,
greycats

ETA: probably the reason Truth Seeker's is not so well liked is that the minors are only partially illustrated and the deck is not formatted like Rider-Waite-Smith. gc

Elendil

I have the Truth Seeker's Tarot version of this deck and blogged with it a week ago (with images - which do not really do justice to the 'foil' effect). According to the accompanying book Swords are FIRE and Wands are AIR in this deck - but the colouring and images actually suggest otherwise - so I guess it is entirely down to personal preference...For me the more common Swords = AIR and Wands = FIRE works better (and IMO suits the images better anyway).

:)

Carla

Thank you, Grey Cat and Elendil! I like the cards you posted on your blog, Elendil. I'm enjoying pip decks more than illustrated ones these days. And numerology + suit is exactly what I'm getting into. I think I will see if I can order Pathfinders. I put ISO on the trading forum, but so far, no one has responded.

gregory

It's available in the UK - I can PM you a link if you want....

Carla

Sure, Gregory! :)

Carla

Done! I have purchased Pathfinders Tarot. :D

tarot heart

Could I have the link also? I would really like the larger cards. :)