Doreen Virtue has another tarot deck

Laura Borealis

If she has such a low opinion of tarot, and all those darned hurtful cards, why get involved with the system in the first place? Oh I know - another revenue stream.

Next it'll be the Doreen Virtue Ouija Board - Uplifting Messages from Beyond the Veil

Or the Doreen Virtue Do-It-Yourself Animal Sacrifice Kit - 100% Gentle

Padma

Next it'll be the Doreen Virtue Ouija Board - Uplifting Messages from Beyond the Veil

Or the Doreen Virtue Do-It-Yourself Animal Sacrifice Kit - 100% Gentle

ZOMG. That was freaking hilarious! :D How about an angel voodoo kit? In soft, pastel, black colours...

LotusSong

I don't know guys - her previous deck had some downright creepy cards in it, like that mermaid with the broken slasher smile and her version of Judgement. I think the more she tries to sanitize her images, the faker and more sinister they become. I'm kind of hoping in one of her next decks she tries so card for gentle that it does a double reach around straight into cruel or doom-tinged.

morganesky

I feel like she has forever ruined the word "gentle"... It's a shame, because with every new deck she releases, another deck seems to get pushed off the shelves in my local bookstore.[/QUOTE]

This has happened at ours, and has been for a few years now. I used to be able to have a good look and ponder over a deck before I purchased it, but the majority of the tarot area is now full of Hay House and Blue Angel productions, and very little else. We near fell over finding the Klimt tucked away behind something plastic and horrid the other week. I don't even think they stock the Thoth anymore, which is where I purchased my original and I only saw one Universal Rider Waite, that was it. I noticed that the next store a few suburbs away, that has one of the best Wicca libraries I have come across in the flesh, also had a less than impressive tarot selection and way too much commercial stuff about.

I have just sold all of my Blue Angel decks in personal protest at how commercial this is all becoming, and shall stick to the Lenormand's for oracle work in the future.

I hope she isn't the death of tarot, jeez, the oracle market is dismal :(

Le Fanu

She will not rest until she has made a laughing stock of card-reading.

She will not rest until she has made it so banal and vacuous that tarot will be nothing more than self-delusion decks with different angels on the box. Money well-spent to delude yourself. There's quite a niche in the market for it.

And she will pay for them all to come up first on amazon listings.

Dream dinner date. I find myself wondering what it would be like in a parallel universe if I could have Doreen Virtue and Aleister Crowley for dinner. I wonder what the conversation would be like...

Penthasilia

Dream dinner date. I find myself wondering what it would be like in a parallel universe if I could have Doreen Virtue and Aleister Crowley for dinner. I wonder what the conversation would be like...

I could imagine Aleister saying something similar to Hannibal Lecter "I'm having an old friend for dinner."! })

Laura Borealis

I want to be a fly on the wall at that dinner.

How about an angel voodoo kit? In soft, pastel, black colours...

Healing with the Angels Voodoo Hexing Doll - stab your enemies gently through the heart.

The one that really gets me is this - "GUARDIAN ANGEL TAROT CARDS (with Radleigh Valentine) – Our “teddy bear cards” feature 78 cards with soft pastel colors and extremely gentle soft feminine images and words, for those who are intimidated by tarot cards" - that's from the Facebook list linked by astronautica. Teddy bear guardian angels? Extremely gentle, soft and feminine? Sounds like those horrible bears on the toilet paper ad. For those who are intimidated by sh*t!

morganesky

I want to be a fly on the wall at that dinner.

Healing with the Angels Voodoo Hexing Doll - stab your enemies gently through the heart.

The one that really gets me is this - "GUARDIAN ANGEL TAROT CARDS (with Radleigh Valentine) – Our “teddy bear cards” feature 78 cards with soft pastel colors and extremely gentle soft feminine images and words, for those who are intimidated by tarot cards" - that's from the Facebook list linked by astronautica. Teddy bear guardian angels? Extremely gentle, soft and feminine? Sounds like those horrible bears on the toilet paper ad. For those who are intimidated by sh*t!

lol hilarious! and I would also love to be at that dinner, imagine!

astronautica

Haha, I'm enjoying reading this thread so much. How much more soft and cuddly does a tarot deck really need to be? I'm actually feeling a little nauseated just thinking about it.

With all the negative comments I see in response to the release of her tarot decks, I find it hard to believe that there is a market for them at all... and yet her decks dominate bookstore shelves here. (I've had the same tarot-shopping experience as you, morganesky :)) You used to be able to find a couple of the latest Lo Scarabeo/ US Games releases with a Rider-Waite and a Thoth deck thrown into the mix for good measure, but since Doreen Virtue's deck has been released, they've all disappeared. Which means that, for the average person whose interest might happened to be piqued walking past the Metaphysical/ New Age shelves, this might be their first and perhaps only experience of what tarot is.

And I share shadowdancer's outrage at what she's turning tarot into - sanitised fluff. If she's so intimidated by all the negative, hurtful cards, then why not stick to oracles and keep her unicorn-riding guardian archangel teddy bears out of tarot? :)

Edit:
I could imagine Aleister saying something similar to Hannibal Lecter "I'm having an old friend for dinner."! })
And I just snorted coffee on my laptop screen as I read this :D

Miss Divine

*Puke*

Holding my Vampyres tight for comfort...