Astrological associations

IndigoWaves

Here is a giant layout I did showing it all in cards. You can ignore the inner circle, it's just my birthchart done up in cards.
Which deck(s) did you use for that? I recall doing the same thing, way back, or at least trying to, but had better luck making necklaces and bracelets out of my birthchart. (Unfortunately, the beads were just too ugly for me to want to wear them. ;) )

Zephyros

I've found that the Golden Dawn attributions cause some head scratching when placed under strict astrological scrutiny but make sense when looked at as placeholders for ideas. One idea (the planet) works through the lens of another idea (sign) and both are influenced by the kabbalistic number and astrological attribution on the Tree of Life (attatched).

For example, Jupiter rules over all of the fours, suggesting some monolithic, singular influence of power. Gemini disrupts that by splitting it in two, keeping the full "Jupiterian" influence from manifesting. All the eights are low on the Tree and unstable, which doesn't lend much to clear thought, and they are attributed to Mercury. That's usually a good influence but being quick and spritely, Mercury can't really save the situation. And so taking all of that together we have the Thoth title of "Interference," things getting in the way of formulating clear ideas.

Another way to look at it is the "pips as Trumps" method. Jupiter in Gemini is the Wheel of Fortune working through the Lovers. Unity working through duality leads to disruption.

The astrological attributions are important but to get a really good view of the cards both the astrological as well as kabbalistic structure should be taken into consideration. This is especially true when traying to fit a card to a description.

Attachments

• Treeoflife0.gif
    Treeoflife0.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 83

LilyLavender

I've found that the Golden Dawn attributions cause some head scratching when placed under strict astrological scrutiny but make sense when looked at as placeholders for ideas. One idea (the planet) works through the lens of another idea (sign) and both are influenced by the kabbalistic number and astrological attribution on the Tree of Life (attatched).

For example, Jupiter rules over all of the fours, suggesting some monolithic, singular influence of power. Gemini disrupts that by splitting it in two, keeping the full "Jupiterian" influence from manifesting. All the eights are low on the Tree and unstable, which doesn't lend much to clear thought, and they are attributed to Mercury. That's usually a good influence but being quick and spritely, Mercury can't really save the situation. And so taking all of that together we have the Thoth title of "Interference," things getting in the way of formulating clear ideas.

Another way to look at it is the "pips as Trumps" method. Jupiter in Gemini is the Wheel of Fortune working through the Lovers. Unity working through duality leads to disruption.

The astrological attributions are important but to get a really good view of the cards both the astrological as well as kabbalistic structure should be taken into consideration. This is especially true when traying to fit a card to a description.

I have not gotten to the kabbalistic stuff (yet?). It looks a tad busy and intimidating, but then that's the way I saw my natal chart when I first looked at that, so who knows.

That's interesting, this "pips as trumps" method. Do you mean that in a reading with the 8 of swords, you would relate it somehow to the WOF "through" the Lovers?

Zephyros

Yes, it's part of the intrinsic structure of the system and one thing is built on another. The Majors are attributed to one sign or planet, the Minors are attributed to two and the Courts six (or three Minors). A Major is symbolic shorthand for its attribution and is then used throughout the rest of the deck.

LilyLavender

Yes, it's part of the intrinsic structure of the system and one thing is built on another. The Majors are attributed to one sign or planet, the Minors are attributed to two and the Courts six (or three Minors). A Major is symbolic shorthand for its attribution and is then used throughout the rest of the deck.

The courts, how'd I forget those guys... I guess they're my least fav. So, six signs/planets? I think this is new to me and I did not see the courts addressed in the link provided by BarleyWine. Do you know where I might find more on that?

Zephyros

The courts, how'd I forget those guys... I guess they're my least fav. So, six signs/planets? I think this is new to me and I did not see the courts addressed in the link provided by BarleyWine. Do you know where I might find more on that?

Well, obviously it is more involved than my simplification made it, but for the record Qabalah is much easier to learn than astrology. There's more understanding involved rather than learning stuff by heart. Each number has its own definition and symbolism, and the paths are the Majors. So every Major isn't just its attribution but also which two numbers it connects. The Tree of Life is like a machine, once you grasp how it basically works all the rest flows from that.

As for sources, I wrote two essays a while back for the purpose of pointing people at if they asked questions. While not very good, they may give you a general idea of the "machine," including the Courts.

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=201798

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=213790

Incidentally, the Tabula Mundi is a deck that takes the decans further and actually shows symbols relating to the Trumps in the Minors. Right now there's only the black and white version out but the colored version is due to come out this year. You might want to check it out.

LilyLavender

Well, obviously it is more involved than my simplification made it, but for the record Qabalah is much easier to learn than astrology. There's more understanding involved rather than learning stuff by heart. Each number has its own definition and symbolism, and the paths are the Majors. So every Major isn't just its attribution but also which two numbers it connects. The Tree of Life is like a machine, once you grasp how it basically works all the rest flows from that.

As for sources, I wrote two essays a while back for the purpose of pointing people at if they asked questions. While not very good, they may give you a general idea of the "machine," including the Courts.

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=201798

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=213790

Incidentally, the Tabula Mundi is a deck that takes the decans further and actually shows symbols relating to the Trumps in the Minors. Right now there's only the black and white version out but the colored version is due to come out this year. You might want to check it out.

Wow, thank you, interesting reading. Since I'm basically at complete zero regarding Kabbalah, I could only grasp so much of that. It still seems a bit less "accessible" to me, perhaps for all the esoterica, than astrology, which makes easier sense to me. But my interest is piqued and I may well delve further once I've fully mastered the astrology aspect. Thanks again.