Is it ok

finaflight

Is it ok to give yourself a reading. I was told one time that it was bad luck, but then heard from someone else that that was not true.

I mainly have the cards for personal self help. I don`t really feel like i want to have the responsibility of giving anyone a reading right now. I first need to learn to relax, and starting with myself seemed to be the best place for now. Through that process I hope to understand the meaning of the cards better, and myself as well. Then relax, then maybe help someone else

StarUpInTheSky

it sounds like you and I have similar goals for tarot reading. Im using the same approah as I think most peopel do lol. I cant understadn how you can learn to read for sum1 else before you learn to read for yourself. So I think we're on the rigth track startign with ourselves but I do hope to read for friends and others in the future but like you said yourself is probably the best place to start.
~*Mel*~

Umbrae

it's just fine to read for yourself.

The adage against reading for yourself comes as a warning to not become too dependent upon any Oracular devices, to use them for every little thing that arises. Like ‘Should I have Chinese or Fish n’ Chips’?
They may show you what you want to see, rather then what you need to see. Many of us have at one time or another drawn ‘a card a day’. We’ve never had demon’s rip our faces off…yet (lol)

:smoker:

tarotbear

If you didn't read for yourself (you're always around when you need yourself), then how would you ever learn to read the cards?

scorpiana

i had heard this before as well- its a myth. it is, in my experience, more difficult to read for yourself- you really can't be objective and its easy to overanalyze. so maybe that's where the "bad luck" idea comes from.

finaflight

Thank you everyone. It had crossed my mind a few years ago that the bad luck bit may come from a combination of over analyzing and becoming dependant. I guess I just needed some validation.
I`m happy I found this forum
Thanks again

tmgrl2

I read for myself. Not frequently...in part because there is so much that comes up that I need to look at....I don't believe in getting lots of readings for myself done at one time by others....nor do I read for myself often.

I do occasionally pull a card the night before the day I intend to meditate and "live" that card the next day.

terri

Alta

I also read for myself. Not that often these days, but I do.

brenmck

tarotbear said:
....you're always around when you need yourself....

I really wish I could count on that, TB. :cool4:

~B~

SunChariot

Very much alright to do so.

I spent my first year and a half reading only for myself. I still read often for myself, but now sometimes for others too. Reading for myself helped hone my skills, and taught me so many lessons that changed my life for the better.

A reading I did for myself even changed my life once in a VERY deep way. I was thinking of quitting my job....long story. In fact I would have quit, had I not done a reading to be sure. It said I should stay, I would miss out on a major life lesson if I left...and if I stayed a lot of cards came up about love. As the question was about my job...I thought it meant I would learn to love my job.

So I did not quit, and about two weeks later this man started working there. He stayed only 10 days but we are still seeing each other and I do very much love him now. When I think that I would have quit and never ever have met him, had I not done myself that reading, and how he is such a force for good in my life... If that's not a case for reading for yourself I don't know what is:grin:

I definitely use it for self-improvement too. I consider myself a continual work in progress as none of us can ever be perfect...My readings have taught me more patience, made me feel more connected to everything, solved major life problems, pointed me to right spiritual path (over and over). I would never stop reading for myself, not to mention taught me a deep wonder at the magic of life.

Reading for yourself takes a higher level of objectivity sometimes than reading for others. As you will tend to care more what the outcome is, because you will live it. The main skill it takes to read for yourself is to be able to be really objective. To just really want the truth no matter what it is, not just a happy sounding answer. Otherwise you can read things into the cards that are not there. If you want to see the positive only and not the negative, adn there is something negative coming--you not see it coming and walk right into it. But if there is something negative there, better to know anyway, so you can do another reading and find out how to fix it....then you take the steps to fix it and voila catastophe averted.:grin: Tarot can often do that, show you how to sidestep experiences in your future you don't wish you have. It is more than a tool to predict the future, it is a tool to change it to the future you want to have.

There is no reason in fact that you ever have to read for someone else if you don't want to. It's your path that you're on, do what feels right to you. To me Tarot is a very individual path. When you sense something feels right to you follow it and reject what doesn't

Babs