Crowley biographies. Just read Sutin...

Le Fanu

I just assumed his bisexuality was something he unearthed somewhere in the middle of his spiritual work.
It was men he really loved. And throughout his life, in different phases.

"There have been about 4 men in my life that I have loved. Call me a bugger if you like but I don't really feel the same way about women. One can always replace a woman in a few days. But with men it is altogether different. What attracts me is the positive individuality." (Letter to Montgomery Evans)

This is included in Sutin (maybe later it is quoted in Perdurado). Biographies are always illuminating.

Aeon418

Perdurabo came in the mail today. I already have a question. What is the Military O. T. O. ?
Do you mean the Military Order of the Temple? (p.36) It's not a reference to the O.T.O. It's actually a veiled euphamism for Crowley's realization that he was bisexual.
I just assumed his bisexuality was something he unearthed somewhere in the middle of his spiritual work.
No, he discovered his bisexuality quite early on. But it wasn't until years later that he was able to reconcile his attraction to men with the Great Work. Until the final few months of 1909 he was still somewhat conflicted in this area and mentally relegated that side of his nature to his mundane life. He just couldn't see how it was compatible with his spiritual quest. But during his skrying of the 14th Enochian Aethyr in the Sahara with Victor Neuberg he made the breakthrough that allowed him to bring all aspects of himself to the Great Work, not just the parts he thought were worthy.

Aeon418

I think Pollitt was the main one though. This quote from the Confessions sums it up I think. (Chp.17)
Aleister Crowley said:
I told him frankly and firmly that I had given my life to religion and that he did not fit into the scheme. I see now how imbecile I was, how hideously wrong and weak it is to reject any part of one's personality. Yet these mistakes are not mistakes at the time: one has to pass through such periods; one must be ruthless in analysis and complete it, before one can proceed to synthesis. He understood that I was not to be turned from my purpose and we parted, never to meet again. I repented of my decision, my eyes having been enlightened, on a little later, but the reconciliation was not written! My letter miscarried; and in the autumn, when he passed me in Bond Street, I happened not to see him; he thought I meant to cut him and our destinies drew apart.

It has been my lifelong regret, for a nobler and purer comradeship never existed on this earth, and his influence might have done much to temper my subsequent trials. Nevertheless, the fragrance of that friendship still lingers in the sanctuary of my soul. That eucharist of the spirit reminds me constantly that the one ingredient necessary to my aesthetic development was supplied by the gods at the one period in my life when it could profitably be introduced into my equipment.

Always Wondering

"There have been about 4 men in my life that I have loved. Call me a bugger if you like but I don't really feel the same way about women. One can always replace a woman in a few days. But with men it is altogether different. What attracts me is the positive individuality." (Letter to Montgomery Evans)

This is included in Sutin (maybe later it is quoted in Perdurado). Biographies are always illuminating.

Yikes you might have me reading Sutin. If I ever get through Perdurado. This quote does help me understand his attitude toward women a little better.

Aeon418 said:
Do you mean the Military Order of the Temple? (p.36) It's not a reference to the O.T.O. It's actually a veiled euphamism for Crowley's realization that he was bisexual.

Yep, I read it wrong, more than once. My brain does that.

Aeon418 said:
No, he discovered his bisexuality quite early on. But it wasn't until years later that he was able to reconcile his attraction to men with the Great Work. Until the final few months of 1909 he was still somewhat conflicted in this area and mentally relegated that side of his nature to his mundane life. He just couldn't see how it was compatible with his spiritual quest. But during his skrying of the 14th Enochian Aethyr in the Sahara with Victor Neuberg he made the breakthrough that allowed him to bring all aspects of himself to the Great Work, not just the parts he thought were worthy.

Oh, okay. This makes more sense now. While I have had the benifit of his entire work, of course he didn't. He was living it.

This is getting interesting.

AW

Aeon418

Yikes you might have me reading Sutin. If I ever get through Perdurado. This quote does help me understand his attitude toward women a little better.
Maybe, but maybe not. Personally I would be wary about drawing too many conclusions from it. Remember that this is a private letter between two men. It's a little like locker room talk, if you know what I mean. ;)

I'm sure at one time or another you have been involved in women's only discussions when the subject matter inevitably turned towards men. It's not always the most flattering stuff, is it? I've over heard enough of them to learn that we're all b*stards in need of castration. :laugh:

Always Wondering

I'm sure at one time or another you have been involved in women's only discussions when the subject matter inevitably turned towards men. It's not always the most flattering stuff, is it? I've over heard enough of them to learn that we're all b*stards in need of castration. :laugh:

Well, maybe not that far. I know what side my bread is buttered on. :laugh:

I'm done speculating and just reading. I got through The Golden Dawn. Oh, the drama.

My favorite quote so far.

With Crowley, distinguishing fact from fancy in his fiction is nearly impossible; when he calls the account true in "every" detail, the claim wants for caution.

AW

Aeon418

Tobias Churton's new Crowley biography is due out early next month.

Aleister Crowley: The Biography: Spiritual Revolutionary, Romantic Explorer, Occult Master and Spy.

This definitive biography of Aleister Crowley (1875-1947), the most notorious and controversial spiritual figure of the 20th century, brings together a life of world-shaking 'magick', sexual and psychological experimentation at the outer limits, world-record-beating mountaineering and startling prophetic power - as well as poetry, adventure, espionage, wisdom, excess, and intellectual brilliance. The book reveals the man behind the appalling reputation, demolishing a century of scandalmongering that persuaded the world that Crowley was a black magician, a traitor and a sexual wastrel, addicted to drugs and antisocial posing, rather than the mind-blowing truth that Crowley was a genius as significant as Jung, Freud or Einstein. Churton has enjoyed the full co-operation of the world's Crowley scholars to ensure the accuracy and plausibility of his riveting narrative. The author has also been in contact with Crowley's grandson, who has vouchsafed rare, previously untold accounts of family relationships. The result is an intimate portrait that has never before been shown, and one that has great emotional impact. The book contains the first ever complete investigation of Crowley's astonishing family background - including facts he concealed in his lifetime for fear of social prejudice. Tobias Churton also gives us a detailed account of Crowley's work as a British spy during World War I in Berlin during the early 1930s and during World War II. This information has not been available to any previous biographer.

USA:
http://www.amazon.com/Aleister-Crow...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312647239&sr=1-1

UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aleister-Cr...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312647837&sr=1-1

Le Fanu

I'm curious to know - really - what else is there to say? We'll wait and see. I'm not sure I'll feel like reading another Crowley biography this side of Christmas.

Grigori

I'm curious to know - really - what else is there to say? We'll wait and see. I'm not sure I'll feel like reading another Crowley biography this side of Christmas.

I'm going to wait for someone to read it and get back to us :laugh: