Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

ravenest

There is an old story about a man on top of a building looking down at the street corner. Down one street, a truck is coming rather fast, a car coming on the other street, both toward the corner. On the footpath a little girl is playing with a ball, it rolls out on to the road ... from the high vantage point the man on the roof can see how all 3 will converge if the girl chases the ball on to the road but all 3 cannot yet see each other, nor have a clue what is about to happen.

On the street , no one can tell. The man on top of the building predicts an accident. If the man on the roof, knew more, and could see more; he might know the girl and know she is well-drilled on not going out onto the road, he might see the car has its indicator on and is going to turn off, the truck driver has just had a heart attack and is unconscious .. or any number of VARIABLES .

The man on the roof might take a guess and predict an accident and he might be right... or not.

The point is, the better your view point and the more you know about as many factors concerned as you can know, the greater are your chances of prediction. But you cant know everything and all the factors.

As some have pointed out ... the future is unknown - until it happens. Sometimes we guess right ... when we do guess wrong, sometimes the 'excuses' ('reasons') made (because some people want to claim they CAN read the future) are really bad ... and that just feeds the skeptics ... because sometimes the excuses and claims are quiet puerile .

Its all based on understanding ' Euclidean vectors' and 'Probability'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector

Nikita_

I think the replies about probable futures have been good ones and are as about as sensible as we are going to get

And if we put sensible aside where are we going to go with it?

What we have here seems to be the assumption that a reading that should have turned out right didn't and that this calls for an explanation

Now I do grasp the problem here, I have my own basis for relating to it, but it is nothing I can package in to a nice rational response.

If tarot is directed by spiritual forces, it does not necessarily follow they are going to like you or that the same ones will always be responsible for your readings.

I have been warned by entities that I deal with that if I ever actively pursue tarot as a public service I will have a reoccurring problem with my predictions being good until somebody comes to count upon them and then at the most opportune moment for maximum emotional devastation the rug will get pulled from underneath and the answer will be dramatically and destructively wrong. This can be blamed on whatever forces I have managed to antagonize while winding my way on my spiritual path.

Or so they tell me...

Explanations about interference from forces outside should only be used as a last possible resort, you can lose your ability to ever interpret things rationally again if you become dependent on them.

I don't see where we can go with this discussion with out dealing with Factor X

But stuff that is this subjective won't get us terribly far

Wow, well...this is certainly the most interesting explanation I've heard so far....in this thread or elsewhere....I'll get back to you on this one....

Nikita_

For some , sensible has been put well aside! Reading some of the explanations sound like kiddies excuses as to why they messed up something. My two favourites are ; the cards are never wrong, the reader must have got the interpretation wrong .. and ... the cards are never wrong - the future changed, but the cards predicted what WAS GOING TO happen.

:laugh:

Yes there's no way out of this one...I'll just ignore the rest of the answers along these lines, I think...
I liked placebo's explanation about entities misleading us, though...

Nikita_

There is an old story about a man on top of a building looking down at the street corner. Down one street, a truck is coming rather fast, a car coming on the other street, both toward the corner. On the footpath a little girl is playing with a ball, it rolls out on to the road ... from the high vantage point the man on the roof can see how all 3 will converge if the girl chases the ball on to the road but all 3 cannot yet see each other, nor have a clue what is about to happen.

On the street , no one can tell. The man on top of the building predicts an accident. If the man on the roof, knew more, and could see more; he might know the girl and know she is well-drilled on not going out onto the road, he might see the car has its indicator on and is going to turn off, the truck driver has just had a heart attack and is unconscious .. or any number of VARIABLES .

The man on the roof might take a guess and predict an accident and he might be right... or not.

The point is, the better your view point and the more you know about as many factors concerned as you can know, the greater are your chances of prediction. But you cant know everything and all the factors.

As some have pointed out ... the future is unknown - until it happens. Sometimes we guess right ... when we do guess wrong, sometimes the 'excuses' ('reasons') made (because some people want to claim they CAN read the future) are really bad ... and that just feeds the skeptics ... because sometimes the excuses and claims are quiet puerile .

Its all based on understanding ' Euclidean vectors' and 'Probability'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector

OK, first you compared tarot readings to a tragically ambiguous weather report, now to a short-sighted man looking from a rooftop at what happens down in the street....what next ??? To a drunk who could have seen things right if only he had been sober ???
The point in my view, is this : is tarot science ? Or is it magic ? Or neither ? Maybe it's something else entirely ? Because according to our answer, our perspective changes completely...
If we think it's magic, we should believe it can see everything; if we think it's science, we should be able to demonstrate how and why it works....if we think it's crap,...well....that's the easiest way, I guess....

ravenest

Liked it ? :confused:

PS has described some type of spirit/s that influence him and his reading that if he offers his skill as a service, " until somebody comes to count upon them and then at the most opportune moment for maximum emotional devastation the rug will get pulled from underneath and the answer will be dramatically and destructively wrong" ... :bugeyed:

I could not have worded that worse myself ! This is a warning about disaster ! And one that draws other people into it ... not your everyday 'bad reading' ... but a virtual lurking and waiting until the " most opportune moment for maximum emotional devastation" and not just a wrong prediction but ; " destructively wrong" ... !

And why ? " This can be blamed on whatever forces I have managed to antagonize while winding my way on my spiritual path."

Antagonise ? ? ?

Mate , no offense, but really, if what you say, you feel is really true - you need to sort that out.

Nikita_

PS has described some type of spirit/s that influence him and his reading that if he offers his skill as a service, " until somebody comes to count upon them and then at the most opportune moment for maximum emotional devastation the rug will get pulled from underneath and the answer will be dramatically and destructively wrong" ... :bugeyed:

I could not have worded that worse myself ! This is a warning about disaster ! And one that draws other people into it ... not your everyday 'bad reading' ... but a virtual lurking and waiting until the " most opportune moment for maximum emotional devastation" and not just a wrong prediction but ; " destructively wrong" ... !

And why ? " This can be blamed on whatever forces I have managed to antagonize while winding my way on my spiritual path."

Antagonise ? ? ?

Mate , no offense, but really, if what you say, you feel is really true - you need to sort that out.

Well at least, he's taken a position in the field of magic....better than saying that tarot was right even if it was wrong....for the millionth time....At least it kept me from yawning....again...

Nikita_

Antagonise ? ? ?

By the way, what do you think ? Is tarot macic or science ?
I just want to hear original explanations like placebo's from now on, please....

Flames

What did you think of what I wrote? I'm curious to know.

Owl Tarot

Antagonise ? ? ?

I laughed my *** off with this one Ravenest... A serious issue and your humor made me fall down from the lulz. I didn't intent to normally post, but this is so epic I just couldn't skip it!

ravenest

OK, first you compared tarot readings to a tragically ambiguous weather report, now to a short-sighted man looking from a rooftop at what happens down in the street....what next ???

The examples are about predicting the future ... and not specific to tarot.

To a drunk who could have seen things right if only he had been sober ???

No, you would come up with that , apparently . My next example was actually: " kiddies excuses as to why they messed up something."
The point in my view, is this : is tarot science ? Or is it magic ? Or neither ? Maybe it's something else entirely ? Because according to our answer, our perspective changes completely...

Its not science magic or crap. Its a psychological process using symbols put together in a randomly generated order. The symbols contain knowledge and information, that relate to each other in specific ways depending on their relationships. By accessing this we have a store of info which we can apply to things we need to work out or come to decisions about.

If we think it's magic, we should believe it can see everything; if we think it's science, we should be able to demonstrate how and why it works....if we think it's crap,...well....that's the easiest way, I guess....

Your statements dont really hold: why is it assumed that if something 'is magic' why should we also believe 'it can see everything' ? You have to define and clear up what you think about magic and what it is IMO ... magic isnt about waving a wand and suddenly being able to 'see everything' ... I know it is in pop culture but ... sorry folks !

Science, I dont think it is, but can science demonstrate how and why everything works (string theory is 'science' ; where is the demonstration ? ... variant subtheories argue about the construct and scientists cant even predict where light will go in the slit experiment !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc (more about prediction ;) )

Thinking it is crap wont work ... as IMO Tarot has a function and validity. One just has to understand that function and validity and use it accordingly.