Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

LeFou

In Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," Scrooge is a heartless, self-centered bastard. Three spirits (the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future) take him on magical journeys where he witnesses how his actions and attitudes will lead him to a grim end.

But then, he awakens to realize that he has just barely enough time to change. And so he does. This is literature, not science or philosophy (but then, Tarot itself is a story-telling tool). The story shouldn't dead-end hopelessly, if only because that's not a good story.

trzes

So either we believe that there is a point to reading, so that we can glean advice on how to achieve better outcomes (my own view) or we believe that the reading accurately predicts the future - in which case all you have gained is foreknowledge, about which you can do exactly nothing, including preparing for it, as your reactions and preparations are already foreordained.

Very good point indeed.

BTW this is why I find the idea of multiple universes a lot less scary than the idea of one pre-determined future.

gregory

Very good point indeed.

BTW this is why I find the idea of multiple universes a lot less scary than the idea of one pre-determined future.
Oh I absolutely believe in infinite futures - quantum stuff, I am told.

Amanda

In Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," Scrooge is a heartless, self-centered bastard. Three spirits (the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future) take him on magical journeys where he witnesses how his actions and attitudes will lead him to a grim end.

But then, he awakens to realize that he has just barely enough time to change. And so he does. This is literature, not science or philosophy (but then, Tarot itself is a story-telling tool). The story shouldn't dead-end hopelessly, if only because that's not a good story.

Heck, in the readings for my Strategic Human Resources class this week, it says in my academic textbook:

Mello said:
An effective performance management process can be conceptualized as one that connects three time periods, as illustrated in Exhibit 10.2. It utilizes data about past performance to set goals, plans, and objectives for the present that should result in high levels of performance in the future.

Crazy, how it's no longer just about tarot or the weather report, right? :D
If I find myself involved with pretty much any kind of performance management system through an employer (and the Society for Human Resource Management suggests that 98 percent of all companies in the U.S. do have a formal performance management system now) then I will be actively engaged in assessing past information to make plans and goals in the present, while attempting to predict and later match up future outcomes. If they match, I will have made accurate predictions; if they don't match, I will have to reassess the new information and figure out why.

Good thing I've got all this practice in with my tarot usage! :joke:

foolMoon

For me, I am not sure about multiple universe or whether future is predetermined or random event. There seem no evidence on either one way or the other yet, and it is outside of our realm of senses to be able to tell about these "a priori" concepts for definite i.e. this is area of faith rather than knowledge.

One thing I feel about Tarot is that, it is a great tool which helps me to guess - be it future events, situation in the other side of the world or somebody's psychological state, more concretely and clearly.

I can guess without Tarot too, but with Tarot, I seem to be able to come to clearer pictures and answers for the questions more easily than without Tarot.

gregory

For me, I am not sure about multiple universe or whether future is predetermined or random event. There seem no evidence on either one way or the other yet, and it is outside of our realm of senses to be able to tell about these "a priori" concepts for definite i.e. this is area of faith rather than knowledge.

One thing I feel about Tarot is that, it is a great tool which helps me to guess - be it future events, situation in the other side of the world or somebody's psychological state, more concretely and clearly.

I can guess without Tarot too, but with Tarot, I seem to be able to come to clearer pictures and answers for the questions more easily than without Tarot.
And how do you use the information you get from tarot ? (which seems to me to tie in to the question in the OP...)

foolMoon

And how do you use the information you get from tarot ? (which seems to me to tie in to the question in the OP...)

Regardless of all these beliefs, one can still try to guess about the future, and how the information is used is up to the querent who asked the question and was told the possible answers, I guess. Prediction is just a guess work with more confidence, I think.

gregory

But if a prediction can be made - that means the future was set, and so are all the actions it is possible to take...

foolMoon

Even when future is random, prediction can still be made.

For example, using a spread something like,

card 1 is if you take this option, then possible outcome will be card 2
card 3 is if you take this option, then possible outcome will be card 4
card 5 is if you take this option, then possible outcome will be card 6
card 7 8 9 is advice for this situation.

Only the querent can decide which option and advice to take after the reading.

Zephyros

Or that it is a combination of the two extremes. Your choice is up to you, but once you have made it, an inevitable series of events must follow in a chain reaction. Of course you're also affected by other peoples' choices, similar to a lottery machine, causes flying everywhere and bouncing into one another, causing more seemingly random events. They aren't completely random, it's just that their causes are unknown to us.