Graphics Tablet or Pen and Paper?

Juliana

Just wondering how everyone managed to digitize their drawings when making their decks. Did you use a graphics tablet and draw directly on that? Or did you draw on paper and scan it in later? Or perhaps you did something else entirely? Thanks for any info.

wooden-eye

Hi Juliana,
For Bonefire, I scanned each canvas. We have semi decent printer scanner. The files were then put into illustrator for boarders and titles and saved for printers as PDFs. I sent these off on a disc, but could have been sent on line.
Hope this helps.

HudsonGray

Pen and paper, then scanned in, put onto a CD and taken down to the graphics shop who did the card printing.

bizarre_tarot

Guess it depends on what a persons most comfortable with. I'm currently designing my deck from scratch with a drawing tablet on Photoshop. This way gives me some flexibility to re-size and edit certain features of a card digitally. I wouldn't be able to do that with pen and paper.

Zephyros

I think it really depends. My roommate is an artist, and she does amazing things on a Wacom, although she does in oils on canvas as well, she just uses them for different things or styles. Ciro once said he drew on a tablet (although don't quote me on that)

BrightEye

It's pencil on cartrisge paper for me, then scanning in. I edit the scans digitally. Am still experimenting with printing.

Lorelei Douglas

Painter 12 and Wacom Tablet

Hi Juliana,

I used Painter 12 on my iMac and a Wacom Tablet to create my deck. Painter provides you with simulated brushes that behave much like paint, pen, pencil, crayon etc. I got the largest tablet available at the time.

Painter X3 (because they can't say 13) is out now and I understand there is a new Wacom tablet whose interface presents your visual image to the drawing surface not the screen (Cintiq 24HD touch). However, it is expensive ($4,195). It is profiled in Photoshop Projects Magazine Volume 13 in case you are interested.

I love Painter 12 but it is buggy and crashes a lot, and I haven't had time to upgrade the bug fixes. I plan to upgrade to Painter X3 in the next couple of weeks, but I have to do some OS upgrades first.

Check out the Game Crafter website as it points you to some free graphics software and does a good high level review of some of the other tools around. You can also find templates for their cards there - it helps to start with the end in mind.

My personal preference is digital - it gives you so much more scope for producing your art, but I do know artists who like more physical contact with their media.

Hope this was helpful
Lorelei

cirom

I think it really depends. My roommate is an artist, and she does amazing things on a Wacom, although she does in oils on canvas as well, she just uses them for different things or styles. Ciro once said he drew on a tablet (although don't quote me on that)

That is correct. But all tablets and pens are not equal.. If you get a system that recognizes the angle you are holding the digital pen at, and it acknowledges the pressure you are appliying then its really can be a similar experience to 'traditional' media.. To take this process one step further I have splashed out on the new Apple iPad pro and digital pencil. (The pencil won't be delivered until mid January) but i did test drive it at the Apple store, and found it intuitively easy to use. I see this as the next level because i can now detach myself from my workstation and "sketch/paint" away from the comfort of a the sofa, while watching TV, or a doctors waiting room, or plane flight. Just as I would have done years ago with a pencil and paper sketch pad.....
https://www.youtube.com/audio?feature=vm&v=7E3QLfoWRjg

reall

:)) old topic but welcome!:))
I painted my deck with standard mouse on old laptop and GIMP!:))
plan tablet with active digitizer for next!^^XD ;)))
point is to get right combination of hardware and software!^^
or work in media you feel most comfortable!^^ :))

p.s cirom your link is not working!^^ XD :))

cirom

I produced the original Gilded Tarot using a mouse. So yeah it works, but its extremely klutzy and limited. Treat yourself to a Wacom tablet and stylus, even if its just one of the small ones, I think you'll find the difference quite amazing.... far more natural and comfortable...