Do you use the deck you created?

Marirowana

This is a question for those who have created a deck.

I know some people create a deck for own use only, and some people have created it to put it on the market. I can imagine that it is hard to take a distance from the cards sometimes while reading. If I look at things I made, I don't just see the picture. I see all the effort, the difficulties, the process. I can imagine that might be in the way when reading the cards. Of does it enforce the readings? I don't know.

So...

Did you create it for own use?
Are you able to use your own deck for readings? If so, is it your primary deck?
Do you use it for readings for yourself, or also others?

Just curious :)

tarotbear

This is a question for those who have created a deck.

So...

Did you create it for own use?
Are you able to use your own deck for readings? If so, is it your primary deck?
Do you use it for readings for yourself, or also others?

Good Questions!

1) When I created my 'The Everyman Tarot' it was only supposed to be for the illustrations in the book I was publishing. After much encouragement I was able to turn them into a deck about a year ago or so. To answer the question - No - I created it as a commercial enterprise.

2) Yes - I am able to use my deck for readings, but NO - it is not my primary deck (the Robin Wood is my 'go-to' deck); however, several AT readers use my deck for their daily readings and 'go-to' deck - which I find flattering.

3) Since I no longer do Tarot 24/7 I rarely read for myself or others; since the copies I have {of my deck} are all {the} first-released decks I do not use them at all.

Marirowana

Good Questions!

1) When I created my 'The Everyman Tarot' it was only supposed to be for the illustrations in the book I was publishing. After much encouragement I was able to turn them into a deck about a year ago or so. To answer the question - No - I created it as a commercial enterprise.

2) Yes - I am able to use my deck for readings, but NO - it is not my primary deck (the Robin Wood is my 'go-to' deck); however, several AT readers use my deck for their daily readings and 'go-to' deck - which I find flattering.

3) Since I no longer do Tarot 24/7 I rarely read for myself or others; since the copies I have are all first-release decks I do not use them at all.

Thanks for your reply! Very interesting to hear.

Great that your illustrations turned out as an actual deck!

JOdel

I have 7 or 8 decks which I purchased primarily for the art. But I've never used any of them for readings since i don't read cards.

The deck I did was predominantly fan service, since Tarot motifs are a perennial subject in fan fests/gift enchanges online. And like Tarotbear, mine was originally created as enhancements for a pair of publication projects that I had in development. It was initially only a group of six cards. Which was expanded to a group of nine cards when it became clear that one of the publications was going to need to be split to keep at a feasible size for online posting.

From there the collection increased to a complete set of the Major Arcana, and from there to a full deck.

And I will certainly use it for its original purpose, but no. I do not read cards, so I will not be using it for readings.

I did try very hard, however to keep it close enough to the basic RWS standards that it *could* be used for readings. But, although I can see that the hit counter on my website indicates that a number of people have visited to see it, I do not know how many have downloaded the files and sent them to a print-on-demand service to get a physical copy and attempted to so so.

nisaba

If I were to eventually find an artist I could work with to get the deck that's in my head out of it and into the world, I'd use it in an instant.

Aside from anything else, people create decks because the decks they find in the world are lacking something they think they can supply, right? So necessarily, my deck would have to be the most perfect deck for me, if it existed.

Then, when I use it either with clients or just throwing a few cards around in a café to waste time, people will ask about it, and using it will create sales opportunities. :angel:

Now, to find that artist ...

In the meantime, I use decks that other brilliant people have made.

nisaba

Thanks for your reply! Very interesting to hear.

Great that your illustrations turned out as an actual deck!

And TarotBear's deck is a very warm, human deck!

Marirowana

And I will certainly use it for its original purpose, but no. I do not read cards, so I will not be using it for readings.

I did try very hard, however to keep it close enough to the basic RWS standards that it *could* be used for readings. .

Which deck did you make? :) It's a whole different approach, if you never read tarot and then create a deck.

nisaba said:
Aside from anything else, people create decks because the decks they find in the world are lacking something they think they can supply, right? So necessarily, my deck would have to be the most perfect deck for me, if it existed.

I hope you'll find yourself an artist soon ;) I think people would love to see your visions personified in a deck.

JOdel

My deck is a Potterverse one. (World of Harry Potter) It's still tied to the fanfics that the publication projects in development are based upon, so while most of the cast of characters depicted are canon characters a couple of them are depicted in their fanfic roles.

Of course if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have actually had anyone suitable to use for a couple of the cards's traditional meanings. Rowling's Potterverse has a cast of dozens, but it's short of a few relevant "types".

The deck can be found here:

http://www.redhen-publications.com/tarot-intro.html

Since it's fan service, the whole deck is viewable rather than just a sample of a few cards.

I'm not altogether ignorant of the reading of Tarot, but I don't do it myself. I based most of my capsule definitions on Eden Grey with some shadings from Kaplan's interpretations from the Hanson-Roberts deck, and a couple of angles of my own.