I'm making a 'new' 'bear' tarot deck...

MoonGypsy

I like the panda with baby. They seem to be looking toward the future to me.

Oooh, yay Quester! :D i think your vote just put us in the majority for the panda with baby!!!!!!!!!Whoot!

tarotlyn

I like the panda with baby. They seem to be looking toward the future to me.
:heart: Thanks Quester! It is an awesome photo...just wondering how it will look 'doubled'
(actually called 'mirrored') as not to reveal (from the back image) whether the card is upright or reversed.
I still haven't had any time to make one up yet...but will get around to it soon.

A few years ago I was addicted to the San Diego Zoo's PandaCam. The cameras showed the ma panda and her newborn. They're fascinating. My husband took me to San Diego as a birthday present so we could go to the zoo! Anyway, for cuteness cuteness, check out this "birthday party" video!

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-giant_panda.html
:heart: Debra, thank you for sharing that cute video. Did you notice that they said that
the Giant Panda bears are now endangered because of the disappearing bamboo?
Did I understand that correctly? YIKES!!!

Oooh, yay Quester! :D i think your vote just put us in the majority for the panda with baby!!!!!!!!!Whoot!
:heart: Thanks sis, for letting me know that we now have 5 votes for the Panda mom with baby
and only 4 votes for the Bear in the tree (but which would probably work better because of the
leaves all around it and wouldn't show that much when the printers misalign the backs to
the fronts...as they say they do! :bugeyed:) I have to make up a back card before I can print out my trial cards.

:heart: @everyone:
Yesterday I re-saved all the 78 photos into '3' different sizes and formats :bugeyed:
Because the online printer needs all the photos enlarged (a LOT) and saved in a '.png' format
and mine were done in a '.jpeg' format. I also had to enlarge them to a third size to fit
in my own software :bugeyed:

Last night I uploaded all 78 photos into my own software for the trial printout and to look
them over while they are all next to each other.

Looking at them like that, I realize that I need to change the FONT on all of them to something
more simple and not as distracting. I decided to use the 'Arial' font which is more uniform
with the lettering and I think it will look more 'clear and crisp' overall when the cards are next to each other.
Also, I was able to see a few minor adjustments I need to make as well.

...back soon with two sample back card images!
:heart: tarotlyn
So this will take a little more time today before printing out.

firefrost

And you thought all the hard work was done!

Still using my little voice above the majority for the autumnal bear pic for the backs! It would look just perfect. :)

MoonGypsy

And you thought all the hard work was done!

Still using my little voice above the majority for the autumnal bear pic for the backs! It would look just perfect. :)

Yes, i agree with firefrost...
i am having 2nd thoughts about the Pandas for the back; The more i look at the "brown bear in the tree", i think that one might actually work better in the long run...

GryffinSong

Re: card backs. Either one will be great. Use whichever works best when mirrored. I'm guessing that you're right that the tree one will mirror better, and be best for wonky printing. But hopefully you'll share pics and we can vote again. ;)

GryffinSong

I got antsy and had to try it out. I really like this way of doing the panda, and I like it better than any combination I can make with the tree ...

Attachments

• tarot panda back.jpg
    tarot panda back.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 74
  • tarot tree back.jpg
    tarot tree back.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 69

firefrost

Ooops! Got to disagree, GryffinSong :) - the bear in the tree looks wonderful, like the tree is at the side of a lake and it's the bear's reflection. I love it!

cardlady22

;) I'm with firefrost on this one. Love to the see the cherry fire leaves!

GryffinSong

Here's a more in-depth post on my reasoning, and a slight change of heart ...

My first thought was that the panda was more in keeping with the overall style of the deck's images. The tree is gorgeous, but frilly and soft and not at all like the card fronts themselves. Whereas the pandas have that crisp collage feel to them, which makes them more consistent with the fronts.

But, the white, almost torn looking edge to the black lines is a little bothersome on the pandas (I think its a towel or carpet), especially when you look at the image enlarged. And the trees are stunning.

So, although both look good, I'm slightly leaning toward the beautiful tree, even if I still think the panda looks more in keeping with the feel of the deck. Or maybe the pandas. Oh, heck, both look great to me. :heart:

Chiska

The bear in the tree is just so busy for a back. I do prefer the simplicity of the pandas.

One thing to keep in mind is the size of the cards. The more highly detailed image is not going to seem very busy in a small size.

But I am not an artist so...what do I know? I do know that with my poor eyesight, the highly detailed and busy image is just a blur and hard to see! And as half of a tarot sized card back? It will be even more difficult to see!

ETA: about the "torn edge" look of the pandas - that could be remedied by using a banner image - solid color or a ribbon type image that cuts across that area - it would fit nicely and break up the image. I think.